Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Freewheel removal tool too large?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Freewheel removal tool too large?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-14, 10:26 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
Not everyone has one, but a 15" crescent wrench will give you the same amount of leverage as using the wheel in a vise.
Yes, but with the freewheel tool held in the vise and the QR holding the tool in the freewheel (usually necessary with SunTour or Regina 2-prong tools), you can grab the wheel on both sides and twist it like Ralph Kramden steering a bus. I never saw Ralph steer a bus with a Crescent wrench.

I have seen a lightly-constructed workbench knocked over by a mechanic trying to loosen a freewheel. That's when I decided to only use bench vises that were bolted solidly to benches that were bolted to the wall.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 01-24-14, 10:51 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
Yes, but with the freewheel tool held in the vise and the QR holding the tool in the freewheel (usually necessary with SunTour or Regina 2-prong tools), you can grab the wheel on both sides and twist it like Ralph Kramden steering a bus. I never saw Ralph steer a bus with a Crescent wrench.
Once, in my young and foolish days, while hitch-hiking, a guy picked me up and there was no steering wheel -- just a vise-grip on the steering column!
Old 01-24-14, 10:55 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Once, in my young and foolish days, while hitch-hiking, a guy picked me up and there was no steering wheel -- just a vise-grip on the steering column!
Where did he mount the air bag?

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-25-14, 06:55 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Chain whips are also used to remove the individual cogs from a freewheel, e.g. to build a custom ratio, but you need to secure the freewheel in a freewheel vice.
That's not entirely true. Two whips were often used instead of one and a vise. I always kept two around during freewheel times. But my second one broke just after I started using cassettes, so no big deal. From then on one sufficed.
Old 09-04-19, 10:43 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Park doesn't make the right tool. Older Shimano freewheels take a remover of significantly smaller diameter. The giveaway si looking straight don the axle. If the freewheel's spline diameter is as small or smaller than the axle locknut. That means the modern thin wall removers that fit between the axle and freewheel can't work, and you need to start by removing the locknut to access the freewheel, then using one of these Note the thick wall, and 10.5m ID which clears the axle but not the cones or locknuts.

BTW- these are had to find and can be pricey, so your best bet might be to bring the wheel in and let a shop or co-op remove the freewheel for you.
Thanks FB. I run a bike shop LLC of my own, so you can see my dilemma. I curse myself for only having one, and I think the one I had may have grown legs. Must... lock up... everything... Times like these I wish I had kept all of the tools that have passed through my hands over the last five decades, especially all the old Var and Campy stuff. Oh well, that's what you get for moving around the world a few times.
Old 09-04-19, 05:47 PM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
Thanks FB. I run a bike shop LLC of my own, so you can see my dilemma. I curse myself for only having one, and I think the one I had may have grown legs. Must... lock up... everything... Times like these I wish I had kept all of the tools that have passed through my hands over the last five decades, especially all the old Var and Campy stuff. Oh well, that's what you get for moving around the world a few times.
You do realize that this thread is 5-1/2 years old?

Old 09-04-19, 07:52 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeTBM
You do realize that this thread is 5-1/2 years old?
Lol, apparently not. I thought the thread title looked a little funny when when I got the email about your reply in this thread.
Old 09-05-19, 12:43 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Lol

Old 09-06-19, 09:31 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Crescent Cycle
I'm not sure chainwhips really serve any practical purpose for these freewheels. They're needed for cassettes, and before cassettes were invented, they were used for fixed cogs.
and to spin off threaded cogs off older freewheels... Rip van Winkle going back to sleep now.