Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Should I buy a Purefix bike?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)
View Poll Results: Should I buy a purefix bike?
Yes
28.79%
No
71.21%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Should I buy a Purefix bike?

Old 07-14-14, 05:21 PM
bro

Bikes: Bridgestone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Jared.
how to wrap bars like a pro
deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Old 07-06-19, 01:31 PM
smith_Jr
Smith jr

Bikes: Kestrel Tri bike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Few Words from my experience on this brand

The Pure fixed bicycle Brand is one of the mid-range bicycle brands. They have some good bikes though. Before suggesting you, yes or no! I really need to know that, which bicycle you want to buy from them. If you want to buy a single speed bicycle from them, then Pure Fix fixed gear bike will remain the best.

Most of the bikes from them are easy to assemble, low price and lightweight. If you are a pro-level or mid-level rider then the pure fix is not a perfect choice for you. But if you are a beginner and have a very tight budget then this brand will give you better than others.

Pros
1. Perfect for the beginner
2. Their single speed bike remains best.
3. Budget-friendly.
4. Lightweight and comfortable to ride.
5. Customizable.

Cons
1. Not so good for an experienced rider.
2. You need to upgrade to get a better service.
3. Doesn’t look like a pro-bicycle.

Read this review to know more on top 3 bikes from Pure Fix bicycle brand.

Final words:
Before getting any bike from them you need to consider some important thing, like, Frame and fork material, upgrade option, Comfortable or not, easy assembling or not?
I am using their bike although I am not a big fan of this bike brand. Thanks for the thread here on their bike.
Old 09-25-19, 09:32 PM
Playinintraffic

Bikes: EAI Bareknuckle 51:18 + Ibis Mojo "Handjob"

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by callahan9119
I went back to the bike shop today to take another look at the single speed I glanced at the other day. Turns out it's a Purefix, costs 325 plus tax. It looks nice and all, but I hear mixed things about them. They don't have any of the premium ones, just the standard.

On the one hand I'd like to buy from a local shop, but I wonder if I could get something much better on bikesdirect for the same amount. Anybody have experience with these bikes?
Go to the shop for service, parts, and accessories. They’ll make money from your support. You don’t need to buy your bike there. Based on 30 years experience with bikes: you have to reach a baseline level of quality to enjoy yourself. From what I hear, that minimum level for fixed gear it the kilo TT. I also hear the purefixes do not meet that threshold.
Old 09-26-19, 08:33 AM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
I dislike this general idea (in many activities, not just cycling) that mediocre kit is ideal for beginners, and the corollary that more experienced people "need" better kit.

Truth is, really poor quality kit may put beginners off for life, but an experienced person can sometimes get a perverse pleasure from achieving results with the most basic equipment.

However, the opposite extreme is just as bad. If a beginner buys top of the range, they my not get the value out of it, may lack the experience to appreciate the difference, and may waste money by buying the top of the wrong range: spend 5 grand on a mountain bike only to find you prefer road biking, or spend 3 grand on an electric guitar only to find that you prefer bass.

I've said it many times: cycling is simple. The internet aids and abets the marketing companies in making it more complicated than it has to be. Buy a bike that fits, enjoy riding it, learn and perform basic maintenance.

Easy upgrades are better tyres, better pedals, and a more comfortable saddle. Even good quality bikes often come with cheap tyres, pedals and saddle because they expect the buyer to customise it and these are the obvious starting places.

In due course, your inner voice will tell you you want a better one — and what sort of better one you'd like. there is an enormous — fundamental — difference between riding single speed and riding fixed; a road bike is a very different beast from a gravel bike or mountain bike. In 40 years of buying my own bikes, I've made many mistakes, but I have gradually learned to accept the type of rider I am: I will set off on a road ride and almost inevitably end up on a farm track, bridle path or footpath. I will set off on a bridle path and somehow find myself lost in the woods. I will choose my 2 x 10 and find that I've ridden for 10 miles without changing gear. I've changed from drops to bullhorns to straight and back to drops. I may never afford to buy another new bike, but if I did, I still don't know what it would be.

So back to the Purefix. It's not a brand available here in the UK (as far as I can tell) but they look "cheap and cheerful". One of those properly sized to fit you, and with a decent set of tyres, good pedals and a nice saddle will keep you mobile. If it's reliable (bikes are mainly 100 year old technology, which is a Good Thing) then you will love it. If it's unreliable, you will learn valuable maintenance skills, and eventually it will become not only reliable, but your reliable bike.

As always, 100 Dollars/Pounds more will get you something better, but 200 more would get you something even better, and 300 more, even better than that. Don't let strangers on the internet dictate your budget!

I don't know about over there, but in he UK, there was a strong tradition of cycling to work all week (because it's cheap and simple) then taking the mudguards (US = "fenders"?) off at the weekend, lowering the bars an inch, and riding 100+ miles in a day. That was done in all weathers, on heavy steel frames, steel-rimmed wheels, and riding fixed, single speed, or Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub gears. Now we live in a world where "nothing but the best will do" and we are poorer for it.