Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Vermont Touring On/ Off-road

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-17, 04:00 PM
biketocamp
Banned.

Bikes: FM-296 Road Bike, Surly LHT, Superb Sprint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts

Hello all,

Two friends and I are headed to Vermont next weekend for an overnighter short weekend getaway. We're leaving Friday and heading to Ludlow, VT where we will stay at a hotel for the evening and the riding Saturday, camping and heading back Sunday. So far out of Ludlow my road heads to 20 Mile Stream Road, which seems to be country roads. It then meets with Tyson, Road before landing at Long Trail Brewery where will will enjoy beers for the day.

Would anyone know of any off-road trails we can ride to to camp? We will be near the Coolidge State Forest and Killington Ski area. I think we're all looking for a mixed terrain kind of experience with our bikepacking setups. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Old 06-26-17, 09:04 AM
bikenh

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
I live not far from there(was actually just through Ludlow twice yesterday going/coming to Rutland), not sure on the trails since I stick to pavement riding only but I will give you the heads up given what you have said...be prepared for some climbing. Looking at the map cause of having just been(by car) on Tyson Reading Road a couple of weeks ago and I ridden it once or twice from both Rt 106 and Rt 100, you are going to have some nice climbing to deal with, with the bulk majority of it being on gravel. The last 3.2 miles before you get to up to Tyson Road will be 569 feet of climbing on gravel roads and then depending on which way you head from there, either you continue the climb up to the top(going east) of Tyson Road on pavement, or you descend on down to Rt 100 on pavement. Both Rt 100 and 106 aren't that heavily of traveled roads and are much flatter in case you want an easier ride.
Old 06-26-17, 10:44 AM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Bicycling, I tend to be more of urban/costal tourer, but motorcycling I like rural touring and have been looking into VT dual-sport (on-off road) routes.... probably similar roads that would be good with gravel/adventure bikes.

THIS thread has long distance dual-sport trails through VT (AT, TET, NEAT, PD). But if you're only looking for a night or two camping, then I'd look at VT's town highway maps and look for class 3&4 (gravel and unimproved) roads HERE.

As far as camping is concerned VT permits dispersed camping in much of its National Forests, State Forests, and Wildlife Management Areas - just google it and follow their reasonable rules. Personally with a bicycle, I'd just follow any gravel road into a national or state forest, bushwhack till your out of the road's sight (but further if you want a camp fire) and camp. Fill up an extra 2Ls water at some stream along the way for navy shower at camp.

Last edited by reppans; 06-26-17 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-26-17, 01:33 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
VMBT maybe be of help. Chapter pages have some maps. Delorme makes a good topo map book. Nat geo puts out some maps as well for the Green Mountain Nat forest areas.
Old 06-26-17, 02:27 PM
Cyclist0094
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Closest that I have knowledge of and have camped at as been the primitive campsites on the seasonal road over Tabor Mt.(south of Killington) There are a few trails that you can legally ride (I was last there 4 years ago) quick search brought up the GMNF doscument about camping GMNFcamping.

40 miles south of Ludlow in the Somerset Reservoir /Mt Snow area was where I liked to ride my MTB.( Gmap search for" Somerset VT") all is national forest area. On NF-71 just north of Somerset is camping. There are numerous primitive sites along this. Last time I was there (4 years ago)was water and toilets near the south gate. If you look at a Topo map you will see numerous old logging roads and a few trails to the nw to explore. To the east are trails and 4wd roads to Somerset Reservoir. On the east side of the Reservoir are trails that lead to MT Snows MTB trail network. You can easily fill a weekend riding here.