Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help with Assos Bib Short Selection

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-18, 11:54 AM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts

I know Assos makes great cycling apparel and many have said that Assos bibs are one of the best. I am looking into getting some but I find that there are many "levels" to chose from and the name of the models seems confusing. Could someone who has experience using Assos bibs tell me what bibs would be the "middle of the road" quality. I tend to do more than 4 hours in the saddle on a road bike. Also, I know that there are sales on them now and then, so even the upper level bib recommendations would help.
Cheers
Old 03-21-18, 03:10 PM
Dopefish905

Bikes: Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mille will be your best bang for buck, I own a pair of these and a pair of equipe (“more compression, better race fit”which are $80 more, I don’t notice any difference they have the same chamios pretty much. Anything more then that your into the $300 range for the cento(10mm chamois with a endurance cut for long distance riding) and ungodly expensive race bibs which are nearly 400+

Get the Mille (formerally know as the neo.pro(same bibs different name//year branding) and save yourself the extra money from the equipe.

Even the base model of assos(Mille) is better then the top level of many other brands) ..there is no cheap assos bibs, just reasonably expensive ones and mortgage a kidney expensive ones)
Old 03-21-18, 05:18 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
The best Assos shorts are Rapha.

Even so, I own the T_Milleshorts.S7. This is their regular guy cut, not so tight. It has more room in the abdomen because they simply left it off. It is cut lower in the front which is very convenient for pit stops and what isn't there can't be restrictive.

I find the material to be a bit plastic feeling, no where near as soft as 7Mesh, Castelli and especially Rapha. These are good for racing and shorter rides but for longer rides I choose 7Mesh for gravel, Rapha for pavement and Castelli for foul weather.

-Tim-
Old 03-21-18, 05:33 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Hi there,

I recently started with the T-Equipe short, great comfort with their floating pad at a retail price of $219 or so. Some of the best shorts I’ve ever had although I do like shorts that give some cover over the belly which none of the Assos line seems to offer. Either way they fit and feel great especially when compared to some of the other comparably prices shorts. I then got a pair of their Cento model. Thicker padding for longer days in the saddle. Also has their Kuku hold for your “area”. Well ventilated and now my most preferred short in the closet. Pricey but unbelievably comfortable in every way especially for long days in the saddle. I don’t know that I’ll buy more than a couple pair but so far they’ve lasted very well and offer a much better fit than any other short I’ve had.
Old 03-21-18, 09:14 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Another vote for the Cento model. I use them for any ride longer than 1 hour -- including a 17-hour stint in the Dirty Kanza 200. Perfect comfort, even after 17 hours. They are expensive, but they last a long time. I've got two pair that are four years old. They probably have 7,500 miles in the saddle each and they still have a lot of life left in them.
Old 03-22-18, 09:59 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I like all of them...even the least expensive ones. I like Rapha fabrics more but the pads in both are the best.
Old 04-10-18, 08:46 AM
inspclouseau

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
How do you all wash the Assos bibs?

I always throw mine in the washer, light cycle, cold water, 1/4 of a cap full of detergent. Only last about a year before the pad is not what it was.
Old 04-10-18, 05:23 PM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Assos detergent. Hand wash cycle, cold water, hang to dry.
Old 04-10-18, 06:46 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4732 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Assos is in the laundry detergent business also?
Old 04-10-18, 06:49 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Assos is in the laundry detergent business also?
Vertical integration. Would love to have been a fly on the wall at first conception.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-17-18, 10:35 AM
jwynn9154

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
assosfactoryoutlet.com is apparently no more, but there's a great selection of Assos bibs at the site of the company that ran assosfactoryoutlet.com

Go to swissiconic.com . . .

(Not affiliated w/ them at all but Assos Cento shorts are my all-time favorites for long rides. The KuKu Penthouse is the real deal despite its crazy name)
Old 04-17-18, 11:26 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Silvercivic27
Assos detergent. Hand wash cycle, cold water, hang to dry.
This. Except I use Woolite. I've seen posts that say Woolite is too harsh. OTOH, I've been doing it for 4 years with no ill effects.
Old 04-17-18, 12:23 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,522 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
Would love to have been a fly on the wall at first conception.
I hear it was immaculate.
Old 04-17-18, 09:27 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by jwynn9154
assosfactoryoutlet.com is apparently no more, but there's a great selection of Assos bibs at the site of the company that ran assosfactoryoutlet.com

Go to swissiconic.com . . .

(Not affiliated w/ them at all but Assos Cento shorts are my all-time favorites for long rides. The KuKu Penthouse is the real deal despite its crazy name)
I ordered a pair of Cento S7 bibs on April 2 from assosfactoryoutlet and was SHOCKED when a week later I got some form letter from Assos saying the assosfactoryoutlet site was no longer operational as of March 31.

Somehow, my bibs still shipped and they're rattling around Los Angeles somewhere. Hopefully I'll get them tomorrow. I loved the Mille pair I got a few years ago but they're not what they once were.

But yes, swissiconic is the new el-cheapo assos site.