Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Taking a break and Off Season training?

Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Old 09-24-18, 10:46 AM
NachosGrande

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I'm a 45+ Cat 4. Currently, my watts/kilo is only 3.5, and hoping to increase this by next year's racing season.
I'm curious as to what others do right after their last race of the season, and before starting their off season base build.
For example, how many weeks do you take off the bike?
Do you like to completely stop exercises?
If you continue some physical activity-not bike related-for couple of weeks, what kind of exercises and level of intensity?
Generally, I'm curious as to some options for proper de-training from high intense of racing and interval training before I start my base miles plan.

Last edited by NachosGrande; 09-24-18 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-25-18, 10:48 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NachosGrande
Hello,

I'm a 45+ Cat 4. Currently, my watts/kilo is only 3.5, and hoping to increase this by next year's racing season.
I'm curious as to what others do right after their last race of the season, and before starting their off season base build.
For example, how many weeks do you take off the bike?
Do you like to completely stop exercises?
If you continue some physical activity-not bike related-for couple of weeks, what kind of exercises and level of intensity?
Generally, I'm curious as to some options for proper de-training from high intense of racing and interval training before I start my base miles plan.
I generally don't stop exercising, at 45 you can take a few weeks or a month off and you bounce back pretty quickly. 58 it's a different story.

My off season is a good time to go MTB'ing and enjoy the Fall colors. That lets my brain associate the bike with something other than pain. When the snow comes I will do a lot of downhill and XC skiing, and snowshoeing. I keep up the gym work and/or ride the trainer when the weather gets foul.

Really, the off season is there to refresh mentally more than physically, I have had years where I race pretty much straight through the "off season" without a drop in performance (within the constructs of scheduling in adequate rest). Cut back the hours, cut back the intensity that feels like drudgery (nasty trainer intervals vs. bombing a black diamond run), go off structure and roll in some other activities for a month or two and you'll be fine to restart. Or if you are chomping at the bit to keep training, go for it.

On the improving w/kg thing, depending on what type of racing you're doing you're often better off working on other tools for the box. I wrote a 2 part blog post on the Wenzel Coaching website about the "Myth of FTP" where I discuss how the focus on FTP (which is a component of the w/kg equation) can be a bit of a fool's errand. Part two coming soon. It's not to say that improving that side of things can't be productive, but it's just a fractional part of racing success.
Old 09-25-18, 11:36 AM
NachosGrande

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Racer EX. Very helpful perspective
Old 09-25-18, 04:12 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I expect nothing less from Racer Ex. When he posts, I always listen!

I also recommend staying active in the off season. I have found it so much harder to rebuild fitness and loose any extra weight gained as I age...
Old 11-01-18, 05:14 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
My offseason....

Riding no less often, but longer, on the road, and going up hills (slowly!). Going to spin class. Doing one set at the gym with less weight on the machines. Trying to come to terms with my diet so I can meaningfully loose weight and not muscle. Sleeping longer hours. Getting things done around the house and in my life that I had put on rear burners while I was training for last season. Getting ideas about next season. Enjoying where I am in life.

Yep, offseason....
Old 11-12-18, 12:02 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Break time is over, time to get back to work!
Old 11-14-18, 09:56 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by Voodoo76
Break time is over, time to get back to work!
Not quite for me!

Although, I just might jump into a cross race in a couple of weeks. No training for it. Just do it. And not fall down. More than about twice.
Old 11-27-18, 08:53 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

I bought a mountain bike. I've ridden it twice. The first time was terrible. The second time was much, much better. We'll see if it makes it through the 30 day return period!
Old 12-01-18, 10:10 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
I generally don't stop exercising, at 45 you can take a few weeks or a month off and you bounce back pretty quickly. 58 it's a different story.

My off season is a good time to go MTB'ing and enjoy the Fall colors. That lets my brain associate the bike with something other than pain. When the snow comes I will do a lot of downhill and XC skiing, and snowshoeing. I keep up the gym work and/or ride the trainer when the weather gets foul.

Really, the off season is there to refresh mentally more than physically, I have had years where I race pretty much straight through the "off season" without a drop in performance (within the constructs of scheduling in adequate rest). Cut back the hours, cut back the intensity that feels like drudgery (nasty trainer intervals vs. bombing a black diamond run), go off structure and roll in some other activities for a month or two and you'll be fine to restart. Or if you are chomping at the bit to keep training, go for it.

On the improving w/kg thing, depending on what type of racing you're doing you're often better off working on other tools for the box. I wrote a 2 part blog post on the Wenzel Coaching website about the "Myth of FTP" where I discuss how the focus on FTP (which is a component of the w/kg equation) can be a bit of a fool's errand. Part two coming soon. It's not to say that improving that side of things can't be productive, but it's just a fractional part of racing success.
FTP is one indicator of fitness, not the only indicator of fitness. Many other aspects to train to be successful at racing.
Old 12-25-18, 09:19 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

I don't know that any of the "regulars" even check this forum any more, but in the chance that you do - Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and a safe, healthy and prosperous New Year.
Old 12-25-18, 10:12 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Best wishes to you too Sarals and anyone else still dropping by...
Old 12-27-18, 08:59 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by Dalai
Best wishes to you too Sarals and anyone else still dropping by...
Best wishes and Happy Holidays to you, Dalai!