Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Grant Petersen Has Lost It

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Grant Petersen Has Lost It

Old 11-30-18, 10:07 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
The universe is unfolding as it should. It just isn't done yet.
i might steal this line.
Old 11-30-18, 10:10 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
GP is way behind the times, and has actually missed the boat , so to speak.
He is in California, and California has already classified ebikes as bicycles.
Specifically, bicycles with a 20 mph limit are class 1 and 2 ebikes and can go anywhere push bikes can go.
Read it and weep.
https://peopleforbikes.org/wp-conten...02132018v2.pdf
”Missed the boat”? I don’t think so. He was never interested in catching it in the first place.

And I am with him.

Ebikes are not bicycles. They are mopeds. I don’t care what a state law says. If CA passed a law that said cows are to be treated just like dogs I would still not consider cows to be dogs. Just because ebikes have similar access under state law (and local laws can vary), does not mean they are the same thing.

I’ve got nothing against eBikes (except on non-motorized trails). I am building two for me and my wife. But we are not deluding ourselves that these are bicycles, or that we are “cycling” when we ride them. They are electric mopeds. And I am fine with that. And as far as I can tell, GP is OK with people riding mopeds, he just wants them (and the industry) to be honest about what they are doing.

Old 11-30-18, 10:12 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by martianone

Any proof to a. &/or b Above ?
Sarcasm requires no proof.
Old 11-30-18, 10:13 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,466 Times in 7,307 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
will start to see their current use on off-pavement trails and rail trails
The last time I rode an unpaved rail-trail I noticed two people riding eBikes. One of the riders looked perfectly fit. In fact, he looked like he lifted weights regularly. This was in PA. The agency which manages state parks allows eBikes (up to 250W, IIRC) on all state park trails that are open to "unassisted" bikes.
Old 11-30-18, 10:15 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,466 Times in 7,307 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
What's your favorite Olympic event, long jump, high jump, or jumping to a conclusion?

(This one was medal-worthy.)
Old 11-30-18, 10:18 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Specifically, bicycles with a 20 mph limit are class 1 and 2 ebikes and can go anywhere push bikes can go.
Read it and weep.
The motorbikes aren't allowed on trails that ban "motorized conveyances"
Old 11-30-18, 10:19 AM
Ald1 

Bikes: Domane SLR 9 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.3 1978 Mercian

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Our group rides with a 75? year old e-bike user. He's first up our 3 mile torture hill and times the rest of us. I think e-bikes are a great thing to get more folks out to exercise and extend outdoor activy for the less fit among us. At 66 years old myself I might need to go e-bike sometime in my future, however the day I do this is the day I stop calling myself a cyclist.......
Old 11-30-18, 10:28 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
GP likes to troll, aka "making people think." I haven't seen anything interesting from him in a while. He didn't invent underbiking and any time I see something from him I tune it out.

I think in the end, ebikes will be a net positive for the cycling community. There are people that would never ride a bike that are now interested in them. And they do give exercise, it just cuts down on the pain somewhat. That's good for society as a whole. The fact that people are modifying them to go fast is a pain though.
Old 11-30-18, 10:36 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Wait, e-bikes aren't really bikes? It's right there in the name! It seems silly that some would get so worked up over this.
Old 11-30-18, 11:39 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
You including the production and disposal of batteries in your calculation of pollution?
No. I'd guess the production of e-bikes is generally less green than human powered bikes, but there are lots of variables in that equation.

And what percentage of ebike riders actually use solar power?
I don't know.

In anycase, both battery production and consumer electricity grow greener by the day.
Old 11-30-18, 11:57 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
No. I'd guess the production of e-bikes is generally less green than human powered bikes, but there are lots of variables in that equation.

I don't know.

In anycase, both battery production and consumer electricity grow greener by the day.
Maybe, but it will never be 100% green, as are conventional bikes.
Old 11-30-18, 12:13 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
It takes a long time for a conventional new bike to work off its carbon debt,

considering ; manufacturing , shipping around the globe and trucked to the store,
and all the packing materials used once and thrown away ,
to keep it in the same condition it was when wrapped & boxed
and packed in the seagoing shipping container..

Old 11-30-18, 12:14 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Maybe, but it will never be 100% green, as are conventional bikes.
The operation of an e-bike can be 100% green. But the life-cycle ecological cost of an e-bike will probably never be as low as a regular bike, at least not for a while.
Old 11-30-18, 12:19 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
all the e-bike butt hurt makes me want one more than ever
Old 11-30-18, 12:30 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken2
Why so binary? The lower-power ebikes require that you pedal to activate the e-assist. So there is an entire category of ebikes that *combine* human & battery power.
There are 2 types of people: binary and non-binary.
Old 11-30-18, 12:45 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6927 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
Slightly OT: Last Saturday I rode an event in Pittsburgh called the Dirty Dozen;it's a race the incorporates the 13 steepest hills in the city -- and Pittsburgh is a very hilly city. Most participants are merely out there trying to make it up each hill and get a finisher's ribbon.

A couple weeks before the event, a person posted a question on the race's facebook page, asking if it was okay to bring an eBike...And the poster seemed miffed at the answer "no." He argued that they were "excluding" people by not allowing eBikes. And as another poster observed (I'm paraphrasing), the whole object of the event is to exclude people who can't complete it under their own power -- that is what makes it an achievement.

So, I wonder if that is what really irritates me about eBikes: that some of their riders will confuse their actions with actual achievement, and some of the spectators may do the same.
Old 11-30-18, 12:46 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
There are 10 types of people: binary and non-binary.
There, fixed it.
Old 11-30-18, 12:55 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
There are 2 types of people: binary and non-binary.
Neither to be confused with the Bynars.

Old 11-30-18, 12:57 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
As one who has ridden (but does not own) ebikes, and who owns a motorcycle, no, no they are not motorcycles. Anyone who honestly thinks ebikes are closer to motorcycles than bikes is pushing an agenda

The day I can take an ebike down a limited access interstate (and no, not one of those special bits out west where most traffic is allowed), maybe my stance will change.
I have no agenda on this. I couldn't care less about e-bike regulation. My point is strictly logical.
Old 11-30-18, 12:59 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 502 Posts
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bicycle

bicycle

nounbi·​cy·​cle | \ˈbī-si-kəl,
-ˌsi- also -ˌsī-\

Definition of bicycle

(Entry 1 of 2)
: a vehicle with two wheels tandem, handlebars for steering, a saddle seat, and pedals by which it is propelled

WHATEVA
Old 11-30-18, 01:04 PM
5teve

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
God I'm sick of hearing about E-bikes! If you want one or need one, for heaven's sake just buy it and ride it where it's allowed. QUIT trying to convince us that it's just like a bicycle. Bicycles are human powered--IT'S IN THEIR VERY DEFINITION! Quit insulting us because we don't accept that they are bicycles, quit assuming we're elitists or have an agenda (lol-like ebike advocates don't have one?) or that we're purists or whatever. They're one thing, bicycles are another thing. FACT!

I've been a fan of Grant's for over 20 years. I've been a fan of ebikes never. I don't give a crap about ebikes, and I'm so sick of hearing about them!

Last edited by 5teve; 11-30-18 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-30-18, 01:36 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked 2,264 Times in 1,268 Posts
Originally Posted by exmechanic89
I agree. I don't need to ride an e-bike to know I don't like what they represent - another way for already overweight and out of shape people to skirt any kind of exercise. I'm all for e-bikes being classified as mopeds, which is essentially what they are.
One thing you may have overlooked. My wife and I are in our sixties and have been riding together for all of our 46 years together. My wife developed a severe case of arthritis and fibromyalgia about a dozen years ago and could no longer join me on my regular rides. We both ride road bikes of the vintage variety. She is not overweight and keeps herself in great shape for her disabilities. She can now join me as she has an ebike. She never uses it as a motor bike , she always pedals with the assistance of the motor. The bike allows her to ride( not fast) with just enough assistance to keep her from over exerting herself. I hope I never have to ride one , but if I were in her position I would get one and be proud to ride it. Just a thought , Joe
Old 11-30-18, 02:19 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
So .... an E-bike is pedal-powered .... just not exclusively so. So by the definition in post #71 it qualifies.

This thread makes less sense than most Monty Python sketches.

Y'all are some sick and twisted individuals ... bless your hearts.
Old 11-30-18, 02:33 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked 2,264 Times in 1,268 Posts
Originally Posted by honcho
GP is a man of strong opinions. He's not advocating violence against anyone for their choices, just stating his thoughts. No one else has to support nor agree with GP's thoughts if they think differently.

I'm beginning to think e-bikes were invented to give cyclists something to argue about :-) I own an e-bike but don't ride it much and it's just an expensive toy that I don't ride because it makes me lazy. However, if e-bikes allow less-able people to get out on bikes and, as long as they actually have to pedal to make them go, then they aren't completely evil.
Thank You!! I have stated that someone may have overlooked the fact that we aren't all blessed with good health. My wife never rides her ebike without pedaling with the motor. Without her ebike we could not cycle together. I ride vintage road bikes and am still riding the racer I bought in 1976, but I don't share my wife's disability so fortunately I don't need assistance. If riding an ebike was the only way for me to ride, I would have one. Joe
Old 11-30-18, 02:46 PM
ogmtb
Banned.

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Read it and weep.
Nope.

That's simply not true.

Class 1 and 2 ebikes are banned on many trails in California, including many trails right around GP's home base. All of those same trails are legal on real bikes.

So no, bicycles with a 20 mph limit are class 1 and 2 ebikes and can't go anywhere push bikes can go.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.