Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What causes a tire wave

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What causes a tire wave

Old 05-26-19, 07:53 AM
number1bike

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity 1975, Mongoose Threshold 1995

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
What causes a tire wave

While doing weekly maintenance I noticed an odd distortion on the tire. Kind of a wave. I cannot feel it, probably because it does not rise causing a bump, just a wave.

I'm going to order a new tire to be safe, but curious on what happened under the surface and is it just a manufacturing defect or something with the mounting.? The tire has been mounted for about 930 miles and it just happened in the past 100 miles.

Old 05-26-19, 08:55 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
Tire casings have the structural part, the casing cords usually in a ribbon/strip like form before molding, and the rubber part. The rubber will conform to whatever shape it's being "told" to adopt by the casing cords. When the strips of casing threads gets deformed the rubber follows suit too. casing cords can break, shift, be poorly positioned when molded. These situations are fairly common and, to a degree, present in every tire (when new and having passed the manufacture's QC test these are so minor few notice) and can develop over time and use. Do replace the tire ASAP as if the casing cords are breaking the tire could fail during riding, the resulting change of control might not go over so well Andy
Old 05-26-19, 08:57 AM
number1bike

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity 1975, Mongoose Threshold 1995

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the detailed information.
Old 05-26-19, 09:07 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Some tires wave when they see other tires.
Old 05-27-19, 12:37 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
I call that "the dreaded S-bulge". I got one at mile 80 of a century ride; luckily it lasted to the finish.
Old 05-28-19, 07:14 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Tire casings have the structural part, the casing cords usually in a ribbon/strip like form before molding, and the rubber part. The rubber will conform to whatever shape it's being "told" to adopt by the casing cords. When the strips of casing threads gets deformed the rubber follows suit too. casing cords can break, shift, be poorly positioned when molded. These situations are fairly common and, to a degree, present in every tire (when new and having passed the manufacture's QC test these are so minor few notice) and can develop over time and use. Do replace the tire ASAP as if the casing cords are breaking the tire could fail during riding, the resulting change of control might not go over so well Andy
In other words; your tire is broken and needs to be replaced.
Old 05-28-19, 08:01 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
fwiw: this tire came to me in the mail in a big flat box

It mounted up OK & didn't wobble when pumped up. but I wrote to the retailer to so they would know. they said sometimes tires get squished in transport but will likely cause no ill effect. but I thought they should know one of their ppl put that tire, in that conditions in a box to ship to a customer & the box was not damaged at all. it was their employee's decision to ship that product to me. they offered to replace it if it caused a problem, but it didn't, so I used it all winter. when I took it off the deformation came back, but not as severe. so this tire is permanently deformed when not pressurized. I plan on using it again next winter

I have other tires that have "tire wobble" even tho there is no visible deformation. they are wide mountain bike tires. I massage them as best I can when mounting, taking quite a bit of time to remove the subtle wobble but I can never get rid of it entirely. I bought those same tires in 2 different sizes & use them on two different bikes. of each pair, there is one with more wobble that the other. but to look at them you wouldn't notice anything, until you spin them
Old 05-28-19, 08:04 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by number1bike
While doing weekly maintenance I noticed an odd distortion on the tire. Kind of a wave. I cannot feel it, probably because it does not rise causing a bump, just a wave.I'm going to order a new tire to be safe, but curious on what happened under the surface and is it just a manufacturing defect or something with the mounting.? The tire has been mounted for about 930 miles and it just happened in the past 100 miles.
thanks for sharing! that's a pretty severe wave for a tire to develop after you've been riding it. maybe you can get a discount from the manufacturer on your replacement
Old 05-28-19, 08:27 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
fwiw: this tire came to me in the mail in a big flat box

It mounted up OK & didn't wobble when pumped up. but I wrote to the retailer to so they would know. they said sometimes tires get squished in transport but will likely cause no ill effect. but I thought they should know one of their ppl put that tire, in that conditions in a box to ship to a customer & the box was not damaged at all. it was their employee's decision to ship that product to me. they offered to replace it if it caused a problem, but it didn't, so I used it all winter. when I took it off the deformation came back, but not as severe. so this tire is permanently deformed when not pressurized. I plan on using it again next winter

I have other tires that have "tire wobble" even tho there is no visible deformation. they are wide mountain bike tires. I massage them as best I can when mounting, taking quite a bit of time to remove the subtle wobble but I can never get rid of it entirely. I bought those same tires in 2 different sizes & use them on two different bikes. of each pair, there is one with more wobble that the other. but to look at them you wouldn't notice anything, until you spin them
The sidewall ripple should spread out with air pressure/inflation. The bead kink, if steel wire, can be "back bent" with one's fingers to straighten it. If this tire has a folding bead then the kink isn't. Andy
Old 05-28-19, 08:57 AM
rumrunn6

schwalbe marathon winters have a wire bead. ask me how I know ...

Old 05-28-19, 07:39 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts
Once that wave starts it never stops. You might get another hundred or two miles out of it before it blows. Might as well replace it before that happens.