Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Scare and Suggested Front Flasher?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-21-19, 04:41 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22507 Post(s)
Liked 8,829 Times in 4,110 Posts

Yesterday a group of friends were out riding and an oncoming driver made a left turn directly into them. One rider was hurt, lost teeth and Ti Lynskey bent badly. Could have been worse. The lady driver said she did not see the cyclists.

It got me thinking, I always have my rear blinky on (Planet Bike Superflash), but might be a good idea to have a daylight white blinky on the front.

Any suggestions for a small, lightweight but effective and durable front blinky?
Old 07-21-19, 04:46 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Cycliq Fly12. Light and camera in one.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 07-21-19, 04:49 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I've been happy with the Cygolite Dice. Cheap, small, lightweight, and does the job for daytime riding.
Old 07-21-19, 04:53 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Cycliq Fly12. Light and camera in one.
Thanks but don’t really want camera. Yet. Will keep in mind.

Originally Posted by wipekitty
I've been happy with the Cygolite Dice. Cheap, small, lightweight, and does the job for daytime riding.
This one looks promising. Thanks!
Old 07-21-19, 04:57 PM
BKE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Yesterday a group of friends were out riding and an oncoming driver made a left turn directly into them. One rider was hurt, lost teeth and Ti Lynskey bent badly. Could have been worse. The lady driver said she did not see the cyclists.

It got me thinking, I always have my rear blinky on (Planet Bike Superflash), but might be a good idea to have a daylight white blinky on the front.

Any suggestions for a small, lightweight but effective and durable front blinky?
Not a single rider but a group so I say "This is BS on her part"! Obviously occupied with something more important that watching the road while driving. I don't think your choice of light,whether blinkey or flood light would have mattered. It's a shame, glad it wasn't worse.
Likes For BKE:
Old 07-21-19, 05:00 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by BKE
Not a single rider but a group so I say "This is BS on her part"! Obviously occupied with something more important that watching the road while driving. I don't think your choice of light,whether blinkey or flood light would have mattered. It's a shame, glad it wasn't worse.
It’s possible. But lights and high viz jersey may help.

When we heard the story we figured she was texting but driver was older, she was very apologetic and stayed on the scene. Still sucks, of course. You can’t prevent every incident/accident/crash, but we try our best.
Old 07-21-19, 05:05 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I like the Cyglolight, small and visible. I also like the Axiom Superspark 150. I had a cyclist tell me he could see it flashing from almost 2 miles away. Recharges quickly also.
Old 07-21-19, 05:15 PM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
This is not as small as the dice, but is small enough, cheap and when used in flashing mode, it runs about a month between charges. When mounted upside down on the handle bar, it also stays very nicely out of the way.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, if you’re using an out flush mount, you can use the helmet mount it comes with to mount it under the computer as well.
Old 07-21-19, 05:20 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I have a Rando 500. Not a blinky but plenty bright, even on low setting. I see drivers changing their decision to pull out and pass when they see that light. Refreshing.

Old 07-21-19, 05:47 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

https://www.performancebike.com/cygo...50-usb/p523488

I suggest a bright strobe for the front. I have one similar to the one above (mine's discontinued). Mine used to go 4+ hours on a charge in strobe mode, don't know how long it will go these days.

I've noticed drivers tend to give me a bit more room when I'm lit up. I have a random pattern day flasher in back as well as the strobe, which is very bright. I've encountered walkers and other riders coming towards me, shielding their eyes and making faces, sometimes saying something to me. Perfect. I want to be seen.
Likes For on the path:
Old 07-21-19, 06:12 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10101 Post(s)
Liked 5,781 Times in 3,111 Posts

When we heard the story we figured she was texting but driver was older, she was very apologetic and stayed on the scene. Still sucks, of course. You can’t prevent every incident/accident/crash, but we try our best.
I believe it. I have had several close calls with very sweet and apologetic elderly folks whose visual processing had to have been significantly impaired.
Old 07-21-19, 06:15 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Blackburn 2-fer. Small. Cheap. Irritatingly bright. Lasts about five hours in blinky mode, USB recharge.
Old 07-21-19, 06:19 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts

This is the typical car/motorcycle accident and the "I didn't see him" refrain is like a mantra. Many years ago I fitted a headlight to my motorcycle that had a flashing mode. Others did too. The State of CT banned them.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 07-21-19, 06:37 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Cygolite 360 Metro for me. Put a 300 on the wife's bike after reading that the human eye can't see the difference up to 30 percent(?) on the lumens.... Paid a lot less for hers....

Here's a fleabay example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cygolite-Da...AAAOSwxzdZ661S

Last edited by Digger Goreman; 07-21-19 at 06:42 PM. Reason: added info
Old 07-21-19, 07:22 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
I use these small inexpensive blinkers (~$16 red + white pair from Amazon - NFI). They attach to the bars with a rubber band, but also contain a clip for hooking onto a jersey pocket. I stuck a GoPro mount on the back because reasons. USB rechargeable, multiple blink modes, weatherproof. I run the white front when I'm coming back through town (too many distracted drivers cruising for parking spaces), at low light or in the rain. They're good for 8-10 hours on a charge.

Last edited by Litespud; 07-21-19 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-21-19, 08:17 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I've been running a Serfas 250 lumen lamp for many years, on a knob about halfway down my front fork. That won't work on every fork of course. 4 levels of steady, plus one bright flasher setting. Works for starting off early and all day. USB. Really bright like this is necessary IMO. They have to see it a long way off in bright daylight. 350 lumen Dinotte in the back, same idea. I've gotten compliments from drivers on my daytime lighting. Bikes totally disappear in shade on a bright day, the drivers wearing sunglasses.

A Superflash isn't bright enough. They need to see you a mile ahead in bright sunlight. They need time to make decisions, must not come upon you suddenly.
Old 07-21-19, 08:20 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts

People are so numb to their senses even a blinky light will only get their attention for the first few times they see it. All it does is add one more thing for motorists to learn to tune out.
Old 07-21-19, 11:24 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
Cygolite Metro 500 for me. I’ve used on roads with no street lights on moonless nights, and I use it during the day in strobe mode.

Cygolite makes more powerful models now, but the 500 works for me.

Cygolite Metro 500
Old 07-22-19, 01:10 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
The reason why I bought my Cateye Volt 1600, was to be able to use it's daytime flash of 1600 lumens, mixed in with a 200 lumen steady state.
Old 07-22-19, 05:02 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Ditto, the Blackburn 2'Fer. Everyone should have at least one. It's the most versatile lightweight and compact bike light I've found. It does four modes: steady and blinking white or red. Buy a pair and use red rear, white front. I mount mine on my helmet. The built in clip is really well designed and will grip the strap of a backpack or shoulder bag, a belt, collar, whatever you have.

Even more attention getting/annoying is the Blackburn Click. The white strobe is almost seizure inducing. I'm not prone to seizures but the strobing is damned irritating at night, and I'm wearing it. So it's a good attention getter. Also as compact as the 2'Fer, but, alas, with a less versatile mounting system. I snagged one for $6 on blowout at REI and use it on the front of one helmet. The light itself has little hooks and a rubber band mount to secure it. Works well enough for a handlebar, head tube, stem or helmet.

If you're not too weight/bulk conscious, pretty much any headlight for the US market will have a strobe or pulse mode that's bright enough to be seen in daylight. The Light & Motion Urban series are the least bulky. I like the L&M Urban pulse mode, but some folks prefer the strobe. I don't know whether L&M finally added a strobing mode to their current lineup.

I also have NiteRider and Serfas headlights but those are all heavier and bulkier than the Light & Motion. Those go on my hybrids. I prefer the L&M Urbans for my road bikes. The L&M rubber band strap is a weak spot and may last only a year or so. I replaced my original strap with a Two-Fish mount. Works great, just a dual rubber block with Velcro straps. Better than the original L&M mount.

I kinda wish Cygolite made a white version of their Hotshot taillights. Those suckers are stupid bright for being so small, lightweight and inexpensive. Imagine how irritating we could be with white front mounted Hotshots.
Old 07-22-19, 05:34 AM
Weakbikr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts
I use bontrager cubes front and rear. I get good feedback about being seen. Bright small and rechargeable.
Old 07-22-19, 06:42 AM
road292

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Cygolite 800 for me

BTW -- does anyone else with a similar Cygolite front light find that the mount tends to come loose when riding? I find that the thumb screw that keeps the mount on the bike loosens over the course of a ride, especially when roads are bumpy. I am planning to add a lock washer and see if that helps.
Old 07-22-19, 07:16 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 535 Posts
Yesterday a group of friends were out riding and an oncoming driver made a left turn directly into them.... ...The lady driver said she did not see the cyclists.
This is the reason I run a front flashing light when in traffic. You can argue the usefulness, the irritability factor to other cyclists etc. But it's stories like these that re-affirm my choice.
Old 07-22-19, 07:33 AM
motosonic

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Get a great helmet AND a front/back blinky!!!
Safe-tec Helmets
Old 07-22-19, 08:02 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
I use these small inexpensive blinkers (~$16 red + white pair from Amazon - NFI). They attach to the bars with a rubber band, but also contain a clip for hooking onto a jersey pocket. I stuck a GoPro mount on the back because reasons. USB rechargeable, multiple blink modes, weatherproof. I run the white front when I'm coming back through town (too many distracted drivers cruising for parking spaces), at low light or in the rain. They're good for 8-10 hours on a charge.
I have the same cheap lights and they continue to work. I run the front all the time.
Have had the same experience as the OP. Left cross in front of me... or several times on 40 mph downhill... clear road.... no other cars except the one coming toward me.......and it decides to make a U-turn right in front of me! Either they don't look, or they can't tell how fast you are going, or they just don't give a shiit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.