Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-13, 08:08 PM
enjoybikes

Bikes: Early 90's Pinarello Gavia, '84 Guerciotti, '91 GF Hoo Koo e Koo, '88 Giant Iguana, '09 Specialized XC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here's mine. This is the first iteration a few years ago, single speed. It's a little more dignified now with gears.

Originally Posted by pedalnmetal
I have this same exact bike - 1991 1/2 HooKooEKoo Anniversary edition - always loved the colors. I bought it new in 1992 as my first 'real' bike and it's still in pretty good condition. But I'm sad to say that one of the rear canti mounts cracked and bent last year when it got knocked really hard. I've looked into getting it fixed but have been told it'd take some welding and need a repaint, which I'm not prepared to invest in despite the sentimentality. So, I'm probably going to try to sell it as a local commuter with one set of working brakes. But in all these years I've only seen a handful of other ones around ...
Old 11-20-13, 01:01 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,131 Posts

It was early 1991 and Paul Sadoff of Rock Lobster Cycles had just bought a TIG welder and was eager to put it to use. Coincidentally I was looking for a way to build up a bike for my daughter's 10th birthday but was very low on funds. So we struck a deal: I installed the 220 volt service to Paul's shop and he used the new TIG machine to build this lovely frame for my daughter. Up to this point all of the Rock Lobsters were either lugged or fillet brazed. This was TIG bike number 1.

We outfit it with a hodge-podge of components that we either had sitting around or could pick up at a good price: Suntour, Dia-Compe, Shimano, Specialized, Mavic all make an appearance on this bike. Kind of a different build I guess - pieced together components on a custom frame, but a very nice bike in the end. My daughter and I had a fine time applying the yellow spatter paint to the blue powder-coated frame.

My daughter eventually outgrew the bike but she held on to it all these years, still riding it with the seatpost way up. A couple weeks ago, when she was visiting us, she fell in love with an old Peugeot mixte that I restored last winter. It fits her much better than the Lobster! Having no room in either her apartment or her life for two bicycles she insisted that I take back the Lobster and find another home for it.

So I've spent a few very enjoyable hours on this rainy day cleaning and tuning up the little Lobster and reminiscing about time spent with an old friend putting together the bike and time spent riding bikes with a little girl who is now an adult with a baby daughter of her own.

Brent
Old 11-20-13, 02:35 PM
inkandsilver

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris

Such a cool bike and story!!
Old 11-20-13, 02:37 PM
inkandsilver

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
NIP Michelin WildGripper(s) -- I think this is for a pair but it's hard to tell for sure. Might help you complete that sweet vintage trail bomber.

https://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...arch=&ad_cid=5

Old 11-20-13, 07:11 PM
neo_pop_71

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

It was early 1991 and Paul Sadoff of Rock Lobster Cycles had just bought a TIG welder and was eager to put it to use. Coincidentally I was looking for a way to build up a bike for my daughter's 10th birthday but was very low on funds. So we struck a deal: I installed the 220 volt service to Paul's shop and he used the new TIG machine to build this lovely frame for my daughter. Up to this point all of the Rock Lobsters were either lugged or fillet brazed. This was TIG bike number 1.

We outfit it with a hodge-podge of components that we either had sitting around or could pick up at a good price: Suntour, Dia-Compe, Shimano, Specialized, Mavic all make an appearance on this bike. Kind of a different build I guess - pieced together components on a custom frame, but a very nice bike in the end. My daughter and I had a fine time applying the yellow spatter paint to the blue powder-coated frame.

My daughter eventually outgrew the bike but she held on to it all these years, still riding it with the seatpost way up. A couple weeks ago, when she was visiting us, she fell in love with an old Peugeot mixte that I restored last winter. It fits her much better than the Lobster! Having no room in either her apartment or her life for two bicycles she insisted that I take back the Lobster and find another home for it.

So I've spent a few very enjoyable hours on this rainy day cleaning and tuning up the little Lobster and reminiscing about time spent with an old friend putting together the bike and time spent riding bikes with a little girl who is now an adult with a baby daughter of her own.

Brent
Hello Brent,

That is a very special Rock Lobster, I'm quite envious! The story is wonderful, I enjoyed reading, thanks for sharing! I painted and built a bike with my 8 year old this past summer, now we are working on building her first road bike. We had a great time and those are very special memories that I'll happily carry forward as we continue to ride. I hope you hang that bike up and present it to your granddaughter when she is tall enough to ride it... that would be a great photograph for the wall!

Thanks again!

-D-
Old 11-20-13, 07:59 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Very cool bike and story. Before you know it, your daughter's baby will be big enough to ride it.
Old 11-20-13, 09:21 PM
corwin1968

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
I just picked up this 80's Takara Highlander on Craigslist for $50. I bought it out of curiosity about this style of MTB as much as anything. I plan to play around with it and see if it's something I might want to overhaul and start riding.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1666.jpg (98.6 KB, 258 views)
Old 11-20-13, 11:44 PM
neo_pop_71

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by corwin1968
I just picked up this 80's Takara Highlander on Craigslist for $50. I bought it out of curiosity about this style of MTB as much as anything. I plan to play around with it and see if it's something I might want to overhaul and start riding.

Hey Chris,

Really nice score! Glad you found one close to home, I was following your thread and I think you found a winner and the price couldn't be much better! I figure with some trial and error, you'll find the proper set up and have a great bike. I experienced the same flip flop up front thanks to the slack geometry and the fork rake, I'd suggest a tire like the Small Block 8, that really cut down that sensation and smoothed out the steering. That bike will be super on fire roads and light single track.

Enjoy the new bike!

-D-
Old 11-21-13, 10:00 AM
obrentharris 

Originally Posted by neo_pop_71
Hello Brent,

I hope you hang that bike up and present it to your granddaughter when she is tall enough to ride it... that would be a great photograph for the wall!

Thanks again!

-D-

Originally Posted by due ruote
Very cool bike and story. Before you know it, your daughter's baby will be big enough to ride it.

Great idea! Thank you both.

Brent
Old 11-21-13, 02:33 PM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts

Brent
perfect bike+story. Just keep it as a heirloom for your granddaughter
Old 11-21-13, 05:52 PM
Vonruden

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 115 Posts
Reflex TWX Limited

Just picked up this Reflex TWX Limited today. Some cool colors and Ringle anodized components. Ringle Stem, skewer, Seat clamp, water bottle cage, and Graphton Cranks. Ritchey Vantage Sport rims with Wheelsmith spokes and Deore XT rear hub, LX front hub. Derailluers are Deore XT. other components include Rock Shox fork, Easton Hyperlite bar, sram grip shifter, and Shimano brakes. Needs a new saddle, some non original sticker removal and a good cleaning.

I'm not very familiar with the reflex, other than Easton built them, if anyone has any more info or links would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-21-13, 06:06 PM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
That bike is so nineties, not even Will Smith on a Nintendo could beat it.

sure is a nice bike though, that will clean up nicely.
Attached Images
Old 11-21-13, 07:45 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
That Takara looks like a very nice frame. Crazy setback on that seatpost! With already slack angles, if it was any longer you'd be behind the dropouts.
Old 11-21-13, 09:31 PM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
That reflex is so over the top. Are you going to name it Crockett or Tubbs?
Old 11-22-13, 08:29 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
ano purple frame? nice...
Old 11-22-13, 11:34 AM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Vonruden
Just picked up this Reflex TWX Limited today. Some cool colors and Ringle anodized components. Ringle Stem, skewer, Seat clamp, water bottle cage, and Graphton Cranks. Ritchey Vantage Sport rims with Wheelsmith spokes and Deore XT rear hub, LX front hub. Derailluers are Deore XT. other components include Rock Shox fork, Easton Hyperlite bar, sram grip shifter, and Shimano brakes. Needs a new saddle, some non original sticker removal and a good cleaning.
Wow, the ringle stuff is now near unobtanium. It sells for prices that would make campy aficionados queezy. Same with anything by grafton. Those parts are amazing. THose handlebars are silly light thinwall tubing and the faceplates on those ringle stems are very prone to cracking! Be so careful! I love the mix and match blue/purple... so 90s.. The ringle holey stuff is impossible to find for reasonable money. It's a little scratched by could easily be sanded and re-anodized, but the patina is also cool. I'd leave the old stickers on for posterity.
Old 11-22-13, 11:52 AM
obrentharris 

Originally Posted by cyclotoine
Wow, the ringle stuff is now near unobtanium. It sells for prices that would make campy aficionados queezy. Same with anything by grafton. Those parts are amazing. THose handlebars are silly light thinwall tubing and the faceplates on those ringle stems are very prone to cracking! Be so careful! I love the mix and match blue/purple... so 90s.. The ringle holey stuff is impossible to find for reasonable money. It's a little scratched by could easily be sanded and re-anodized, but the patina is also cool. I'd leave the old stickers on for posterity.
No Ringle seatpost! I guess that after breaking a couple of them the original owner, like the rest of us, finally gave up.
Brent
Old 11-22-13, 01:42 PM
Vonruden

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 115 Posts
Thanks for the info Cyclotoine!

obrent - funny you should mention the the seatpost, the Ringle clamp is cracking, I was thinking of replacing with a nice purple or blue Hope anno seatpost clamp.
Old 11-22-13, 09:54 PM
Aemmer

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Dig the Rock Lobster.
Old 11-24-13, 09:03 PM
Bikedud
Sapient

Bikes: Just a bunch of bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

My 1991 Fat City Cycles Fat Chance Wicked.

obrentharris- I Love the Rock Lobster
Attached Images
Bikes 008.jpg (104.4 KB, 243 views)
Bikes 009.jpg (103.3 KB, 223 views)
Old 11-24-13, 09:55 PM
Aemmer

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
A lot of potential, but I can't take it seriously with those V brakes on there.
Old 11-24-13, 10:42 PM
obrentharris 

Originally Posted by Aemmer
A lot of potential, but I can't take it seriously with those V brakes on there.
Yeah.
That's what my Klunker-riding friends here in Marin tell me about my cantis.
Brent
Old 11-25-13, 09:12 AM
Bikedud
Sapient

Bikes: Just a bunch of bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Aemmer
I can't take it seriously with those V brakes on there.
The cantis were fine until I moved to North Georgia and started riding down Hanging Mountain (and many others), dodging baby heads, and trying to pick a line at 35mph. I quickly came to the conclusion that effective braking is very important. FWIW, I still have cantis on my CX bike.
Old 11-25-13, 04:45 PM
obrentharris 

Thanks for all the nice comments about the little blue Lobster. They made me feel so good I decided to post the other little Lobster in our basement.

This bike has its own story.
In 1996 Paul Sadoff decided to sell some less expensive production bikes with the Rock Lobster name on them. He found a large bike company willing to do a small run of frames built to his drawings and specifications. In 1996 I was looking for a bike to give to my 9-year-old son for his birthday. One of the production frames came through with a slight misalignment of a rear dropout which caused the wheel to cock to one side in the frame. This was easily fixed with a little file work in the dropout and Paul was willing to sell me the frame, which was already bargain priced, at a significant discount. Paul decided he would rather stick to custom frame building so there were no more production bikes in this country after that.

My son was thrilled with the frame. After his birthday we purchased all the components for it at the local bike swap. Quite the assortment of parts!

The original fork was a Manitou with elastomer suspension. The pedals were replaced at one time and the tires have been replaced a couple times. Other than that the bike is a pretty good example of what was available at local bike swaps for someone trying to set up a bike on a budget in 1996.

My son outgrew the bike, as kids will do. It has been hanging out in the basement, unridden, with the other bikes so I decided to clean it up and show it off in this thread. As for my son, he has a bit of an N+1 bike habit himself: I think he's up to 4 bikes at this point.

Brent
Old 11-25-13, 05:15 PM
Aemmer

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedud
The cantis were fine until I moved to North Georgia and started riding down Hanging Mountain (and many others), dodging baby heads, and trying to pick a line at 35mph. I quickly came to the conclusion that effective braking is very important. FWIW, I still have cantis on my CX bike.
I personally never felt the big step up with V brakes compared to canti's (different opinion when hydraulic disc brakes appeared) but if it made you more comfortable at high speeds bitd right on. Certainly we all made what we felt were major/minor upgrades to our bikes constantly over time as things broke or we just felt the need. Now you have a beautiful foundation for a restore from an era past by new technology. The time is ripe to put it together as it once was new or how you always dreamed it to be. That Fat is a jewel. Or just pull the kid trailer for a few more years with it as it is and then restore it in another decade or so. Whatever you do, enjoy the heck out of it. It's not going to look right though until it wears a nice set of M734's again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.