Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

About the dumbest thing I've ever seen..

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 06-23-08, 02:11 PM
bdinger
Chubby super biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Just.. watch it:

https://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/hea...nalds.diet.cnn

Why I think this is just ridiculous:
Promoting McDonalds as being anything near healthy is foolish. I don't care what you eat there, I stand by my statement. Doing a particular diet out of spite (which is what it sounds like) isn't exactly intelligent, either.

This diet, and even saying it's an "idea" is foolish. Seriously, black coffee for breakfast? Uggh, I could scream.

Finally, my favorite, "at 300 pounds it's hard to do any exercise wihtout hurting yourself". YES, YOUR COLLEGE DEGREE REALLY SHOWS. Oh wait.

Listen folks, don't listen to idiots like this. I weighed over 500 pounds when I started on the treadmill. I was jogging on an elliptical at 475! I guess I'm lucky I'm not falling apart, because in the 300s I'm now endurance riding.

"Stories" like this, I'm sorry, just don't do anything good. America, stop looking for the easy way out and just do it the right way already.
Old 06-23-08, 02:19 PM
kenseth03

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe this guy is looking for a big payday like Jared on the Subway diet!
Old 06-23-08, 03:08 PM
Harry Stone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every time I see a story on the news about something I know a bit about, it's always just awful. They almost always get simple facts wrong and completely miss the point. It makes me wonder if anything I see in the mass media is even close to being accurate.
Old 06-23-08, 03:32 PM
Bionicycle
No I'm Not a Pirate!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kenseth03
+1 I thought that the first time I read about this guy...
Old 06-23-08, 04:32 PM
ModelT
Read, Ride, Repeat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Living on nothing but grilled chicken and salad from anywhere will work, at least until you eat real food again.
Old 06-23-08, 04:47 PM
Big_e
Strong with the Fred

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Kiren Chitry looks mighty hot in that red dress.
Ernest
Old 06-23-08, 07:59 PM
kykr13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bdinger
"Stories" like this, I'm sorry, just don't do anything good. America, stop looking for the easy way out and just do it the right way already.
I saw the headline as I checked their site a couple of times today, probably rolled my eyes by reflex, and moved on... I just watched about half of it to see that it was what I thought. It's really sad how many people probably think that his plan is actually a smart idea. Read one of Michael Pollan's books.

Do it the right way and it will really work - great story yourself!.
Old 06-23-08, 08:15 PM
Fribley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kykr13
Do it the right way and it will really work - great story yourself!.
The right way?...awww but thats the hard way..
Old 06-23-08, 08:17 PM
heckler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I might venture that it is less sensationalized and dramatic than "supersize me" one of my most hated movies ever. I worked at BK for about 4 years (while young) and during the summers i ate just about only their food and normally lost weight. i would not claim the food is healthy, but it is just food. i eat burgers at home on the grill, i make crispy chicken salads at home just because things come from McD's or BK doesn't make them automatically terrible for you.
Old 06-23-08, 08:27 PM
Glenn1234

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kenseth03
+1: Fine print: Jared ate only a 6" veggie sub a week and exercised on the advice of his personal trainer, and ate a controlled diet in other times. Or some such thing. They did have a disclaimer like that in very fine print on the first Jared commercials.

(Just searched). Here's some details of what he actually did: https://www.bodybuildingpro.com/subwaydiet.html
Fact is one can lose weight eating anything, as long as the calories are right and you're doing the other stuff (as illustrated in the link). In a lot of ways, the prepared food would be easier (if you don't know how/what to fix - see Nutrasystem).
Old 06-23-08, 08:39 PM
Richard_Rides
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's up with all the hostility? This guy ate at McDonald's and chose low calorie, low fat foods. By doing so he lost weight. I know we all love riding our bikes, but it is possible to lose weight by dieting.
Old 06-23-08, 08:55 PM
Missbumble 
I'm a Cyclist!

Bikes: Specialized Dolce Elite

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
OK -Yes anyone can lose weight by dieting. But most of us I suspect - have done it lost the wieght (I did - lost 100 pounds and kepit it off for 12+years) - and 95 % or higher have gained it back. So any food plan can work - but what needs to be there for the long haul is support and a program of action. It is sooo not about what you eat. Casue we are smart people - we all know how to diet. But what i am learning is that I need to put something else in place for the role food played in my life.

Without the food - it's like I lose my best friend -no matter what food is there - but a temorary fix - aka Mc Donalds.... is juts that. Without addressing the issues that lead you to food it's temporary. And for some the issues are just how simple it is to change your feeling by eating.

So yup - I definitely think Subway or Mickie Ds will work temporarily -but I do think I need more than that to keep the weight off.
Old 06-23-08, 09:03 PM
Richard_Rides
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Missbumble

So yup - I definitely think Subway or Mickie Ds will work temporarily -but I do think I need more than that to keep the weight off.
Correct.

Old 06-23-08, 10:13 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Just.. watch it:

https://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/hea...nalds.diet.cnn

Why I think this is just ridiculous:
Promoting McDonalds as being anything near healthy is foolish. I don't care what you eat there, I stand by my statement. Doing a particular diet out of spite (which is what it sounds like) isn't exactly intelligent, either.

This diet, and even saying it's an "idea" is foolish. Seriously, black coffee for breakfast? Uggh, I could scream.

Finally, my favorite, "at 300 pounds it's hard to do any exercise wihtout hurting yourself". YES, YOUR COLLEGE DEGREE REALLY SHOWS. Oh wait.

Listen folks, don't listen to idiots like this. I weighed over 500 pounds when I started on the treadmill. I was jogging on an elliptical at 475! I guess I'm lucky I'm not falling apart, because in the 300s I'm now endurance riding.

I've seen dumber. I've even seen dumber in the flesh, so to speak. A 400 pound diabetic woman I know eats salad for lunch and binges on potato chips and candy between meals.

The comment about exercise being painful for folks over three hundred pounds shows the subject of the video buys lock, stock, and oversize barrel into the two most common myths in the US about the severely obese:

1 - they are sick and need to be treated as a sick person;
2 - they are helpless victims.

You, Ben, each and every day, smash those two statements beneath your wheels. God bless you for doing so.

Old 06-24-08, 07:51 AM
bdinger
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Richard_Rides
What's up with all the hostility? This guy ate at McDonald's and chose low calorie, low fat foods. By doing so he lost weight. I know we all love riding our bikes, but it is possible to lose weight by dieting.
I think it's the message the media is sending, mostly. And the absolute ignorance displayed by the guy. Very frustrating, overall.
Old 06-24-08, 07:54 AM
bdinger
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Historian
I've seen dumber. I've even seen dumber in the flesh, so to speak. A 400 pound diabetic woman I know eats salad for lunch and binges on potato chips and candy between meals.

The comment about exercise being painful for folks over three hundred pounds shows the subject of the video buys lock, stock, and oversize barrel into the two most common myths in the US about the severely obese:

1 - they are sick and need to be treated as a sick person;
2 - they are helpless victims.

You, Ben, each and every day, smash those two statements beneath your wheels. God bless you for doing so.
I'm not the only one, this forum is chock full of examples of dietary mythbusters, so to speak. You, Tom, and any number of others who do it by simple willpower, common sense, and spinning the cranks.

But, I guess, that makes for boring TV?
Old 06-24-08, 08:06 AM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by Richard_Rides
Such 'success' stories feed the idea that weight loss isn't about lifestyle changes, but quick fixes - eat this for a few months and lose weight, etc. It also reinforces the negative idea that exercise is evil, and weight loss should be simple and effortless.

Old 06-24-08, 08:08 AM
Neil_B

I'm not the only one, this forum is chock full of examples of dietary mythbusters, so to speak. You, Tom, and any number of others who do it by simple willpower, common sense, and spinning the cranks.

But, I guess, that makes for boring TV?
I'm the first person to deny I have willpower. Neil F. saw me dig into some very unhealthy things on tour, for instance. I know if I want to have them and keep my weight down, I need to exercise.

Old 06-24-08, 08:53 AM
Nick The Great
Internal Cyclist Emerging

Bikes: Cannondale Adventure 5 (It's a start . . . )

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the story is hilarious. In a weird, sad way.

I've always said that when I get more time and money, I'm going to do something like that. Eat a Big Mac every day and exercise like a SOB and lose weight. Then tell McD's et al that I lost 50 lbs on the Big Mac diet.

In college, I went from 240 to 195 in a few months. My diet? Beer, Lay's potato chips, dip, and grilled cheese sandwiches. I didn't eat a whole lot, because I was cheap. But we played football and basketball almost daily. Now I weigh 250, and eat far 'healthier.' But I sit at a desk all day and don't do much at night. That's changing now, but my original point stands.
Old 06-24-08, 09:02 AM
evblazer
Thread Killer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought he ate pretty well considering he ate all his meals at mcdonalds. Now if he ate three angus bacon cheeseburgers a day and lost 80 lbs that would be STORY OF THE CENTURY news. TV News (any news) is a good deal of entertainment and picking certain pieces of the story over others.

Oh well time to dig into my oatmeal
Old 06-24-08, 09:07 AM
Caincando1

Bikes: Trek Pilot 1.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People can't handle the truth. People ask me daily about my weight loss. I just tell them that it's the age old advise of eat less and exercise more. It's just that simple. Unfortunetely the majority of people that I tell that to don't want to hear it.
Old 06-24-08, 09:32 AM
deraltekluge

Bikes: Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
McDonald's publishes the nutritional data for their food https://www.mcdonalds.com/app_control...on.index1.html

Somewhere in all that you certainly find some meals that are reasonable for people trying to lose weight.

Even a Big Mac isn't so bad if you don't consume high-calorie side dishes or drinks along with it.
Old 06-24-08, 09:58 PM
Fastflyingasian
Draft Producer

Bikes: fuji CCR 1.0 carbon,Surley Pacer,02 norco shore freeride MTB, cannondale rigid MTB, Fuji aloha 1.0, Monty trials bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
people freak when they find out how i lost as much weight as i did. i eat more than when i didnt but i ride 5 days a week and i eat ALOT. the minute they hear 150 - 200 miles a week they automatically shutdown and look for the magic pill. videos like this is kinda terrible cause they dont show the after effects of crash dieting. the inevitable weight gain. my friends and family have done it time and time again and they end where they started or worse...... bigger. my mother did atkins and the doctor freaked when she did blood work for her physical.
Old 06-24-08, 10:29 PM
Richard_Rides
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My body is like a steam locomotive. I'm doing so much work it doesn't matter what I shovel into the fire box.

Old 06-24-08, 11:27 PM
tinrobot
Spit out the back

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
You know, McDonalds spends a lot of money advertising on CNN.

You think there might be some sort of connection?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.