Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Decision hell....

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Decision hell....

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-10, 03:35 PM
Santaria

Bikes: Surly CC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Decision hell....

I still have my 3-speed Cykel.
I have lost my Karate Monkey.
I have a $1,300 budget in 5 days.

My Cykel is being pushed to the limits, and I'm going to be buying a new main bike.

Problems: I love the Long Haul Trucker. Love, love, love.

But for general commuting+very rare day riding/touring/charity rides it seems like a very heavy bike that might be overkill for my general purposes.

I love the Cross check. But I think the component buildup is weak for such a nice steel frame (yes, I know QBP probably mass produces all the frames for various companies through the same manufacturer). And the rims on this AND the long haul trucker seem shockingly cheap.

I think the Salsa Casseroll is like the best compromise in the world. But I'm not sure I want to flop down EXACTLY $1300 for it. The single really meets my budget, with a compromise, but then I'm on a single speed and know that during certain times that will bug the **** out of me. I got a lot of love for SS, but I know where the line can be drawn in the sand for me.

I've even looked at Salsa mountain bikes, and am impressed with the ala carte and el mariachi. Both of which can be had in my price point, but then I flip flop on buying another mountain bike which would see a LOT or urban mileage and very little single track (but it would still see SOME - and even another year's racing in the 1-3 actual single track races down here in the Valley).

I've looked at Raleigh's one way and think you get a lot of bang in components for a really ****ty frame and fork, and don't think the Brook's saddle merits it.

The Clubman is nice too, but feels like they're pushing components for a compromise in frame too.

I'm avoiding a race bike, because 80% of my riding involves a pair of cargo pants, with one leg rolled up to stay out of my chain, cleats, and a t-shirt (sweater, et al if it's cold). I only ride 3 miles nowadays to work, and going to uni and the store all involved less than 10 miles overall. As soon as the weather improves, I'll probably start busting out 40-60 mile weekend rides again, and you see where the circle continues

So I open the discussion to you guys. Maybe there's a zero gravity solution here I'm missing.

Hybrids and 3-speed utility bikes don't fit the criteria. I already ride a 3-speed that's been modified to SS - and while I love it, it's getting the summer off for a complete rebuild as a touring bike.
Old 01-14-10, 11:11 PM
sam83
On Two Wheels

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Bianchi Volpe, 2 Salsa Casserolls (fixed & Triple), 2011 Salsa Chili Con Crosso, 1983 Schwinn Supersport, Schwinn Mesa MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since you mentioned the Casseroll... Casseroll Single from speedgoat.com for $595. Add a shifter, rear der., cassette and rear wheel and voila, a 1X9.
Old 01-14-10, 11:49 PM
ryanwood

Bikes: surly cross check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my cross check, but as you stated, the buildup is a little on the cheap side. If I had to do it again, I would be buying a crosscheck frame and building it up as a 1x9 with the components I want.

My two cents.
Old 01-15-10, 06:43 AM
lambo_vt
member. heh.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With all due respect to the magical Surly brand, how is a Cross Check "such a nice steel frame" and the Raleighs are "really ****ty frame and fork?" Assuming both fit, you're talking about Surly's 4130 frame and CrMo fork versus Raleigh's 520 frame and 4130 fork, either of which are just cheap but passable steel frames welded overseas and sold at a low price point. It sounds like you're buying into marketing or something else. Don't be one of those Picky Pete "steel is real" give-me-Surly-or-give-me-death people.

Besides which, I don't see the issue. You say you have a $1300 budget and really like the $1300 Casseroll. Sounds to me like anything you buy you'll be comparing to a Casseroll anyway.

Last edited by lambo_vt; 01-15-10 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-15-10, 06:55 AM
KLW2

Bikes: 88 Schwin Voyageur, 84 Schwinn World Sport, 85 Univega Alpina Uno, 85 Fuji Espree, 09 Novara Strada, 06 Jamis Durango, 03 Specialized Expediton Sport, 09 Surly LHT, 12 Novara Gotham

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or just buy the LHT....
Old 01-15-10, 09:02 AM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KLW2
Or just buy the LHT....
That's what I'd do. It goes for just over $1K at my LBS. Throw in a nice new wheelset (or rear wheel at least) of your choice if you're worried about the wheels and you're still under $1300.

Of course, I don't have $1300 to spend, but if I did, I know that's what I'd do. I'd be tempted to wait for the black LHT, though...
Old 01-15-10, 04:29 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
IMHO consider a 1x9 set up Surly Pacer;
LBS recently spec'd one for me with a mavic cxp22/105 wheel set, a generic cyclocross crankset & shimano BB, cane creek s1 head set, bar end shifter, LX rear deraileur, 11-34 cassette/ 39 t chainring with a guard and chain watcher, Terry Fly seat, dimension/salsa/generic items like handlebar, seat post, stem etc. 32 mm pasela tires, mks touring pedals, tektro brakes. Not fancy- but basic reliable parts - $1050. Waiting for the frame to arrive. LBS will cut steer tube and select stem etc to get the fit just right. This combination gives a gear in range from 31 to 96, which is good for our hilly area. my college son has a cross check with 44 chain ring and 11-34 cassette, but campus is much flatter and he hasn't ruined his knees yet.

Last edited by martianone; 01-15-10 at 08:39 PM. Reason: typo$
Old 01-15-10, 05:08 PM
finnyct90
Daily Rider

Bikes: way more than I need but not more than I want

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently bought a Surly Pacer frame through my LBS and had them build it for me with a combo of some new bits and a bunch of parts I already had. This worked out very well for me, I kept the cost way below a new complete bike with parts that work for me.
You need to really work it all out on paper and see if it makes sense before you go this route. I worked for me only because I had most of the parts on hand and I have a GREAT LBS.
Old 01-15-10, 05:14 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Let me see if I can push you over the edge on that aneurysm.
https://www.masibikes.com/steel/speciale-randonneur/
Old 01-15-10, 09:58 PM
alcahueteria

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Soma Juice

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm looking at about the same situation. I have an affinity for niche-y bikes, so you might like this...

https://www.traitorcycles.com/Bikes_Ruben.cfm