Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Bike: Need opinions.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-10, 12:48 PM
hyelife

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi
I'm new to cycling and I'm in the process of getting my first road bike. Some buddy of mines has a brand new bike that he bought couple weeks ago and hasn't used it at all and hes trying to sell it. I need some advice if its a good bike and if I should take it.

Make: Felt
Model: Z45
Retail value: $1700

Hes willing to give it to me for 800 or 900. Is this a good bike for a first time rider or should I get something else?
Old 04-21-10, 01:14 PM
eschew

Bikes: 2003 Cannondale R1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is a great frame. Very light, high-modulus carbon fiber. Relaxed geometry. In fact, on certain tours, 1/2 the Garmin team rides this exact frame.
It looks like the Z45 comes with a sora/tiagra mix, which is OK, but not great.
Most importantly, is the frame the correct size for you? If so, $800 or less would be a fair price.
Old 04-21-10, 01:21 PM
hyelife

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can always upgrade the parts slowly. I have 1 question. How hard is it to change from double crank to triple?
Old 04-21-10, 01:32 PM
eschew

Bikes: 2003 Cannondale R1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hyelife
How hard is it to change from double crank to triple?
Unless you require crazy-low gearing, you would most likely be better off switching to a compact double rather than a triple. You would only have to switch out the crankset and maybe bottom bracket when switching to a compact.
Here is a very nice compact crankset w/BB for $95 - https://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...kset+W+Bb.aspx

But it looks like the Z45 came with a compact... why do you think you would require lower gearing?

https://bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeS...8488&Type=bike
Old 04-21-10, 02:39 PM
hyelife

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eschew
Unless you require crazy-low gearing, you would most likely be better off switching to a compact double rather than a triple. You would only have to switch out the crankset and maybe bottom bracket when switching to a compact.
Here is a very nice compact crankset w/BB for $95 - https://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...kset+W+Bb.aspx

But it looks like the Z45 came with a compact... why do you think you would require lower gearing?

https://bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeS...8488&Type=bike
I just think I might need it because I'm new to the biking world.. Not sure, but you guys are the experts so if you don't recommend it then I won't get it.
Old 04-21-10, 04:24 PM
huguest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to say anything about your friends but why is he selling the bike after just a few weeks for less than half the price? Otherwise, if your are sure that everything is legit, it seem like a very good deal!
Old 04-21-10, 04:46 PM
hyelife

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by huguest
Not to say anything about your friends but why is he selling the bike after just a few weeks for less than half the price? Otherwise, if your are sure that everything is legit, it seem like a very good deal!
To be honest I have no idea. Hes loaded so I don't think he has money issues or anything to sell it for more to me.
Old 04-22-10, 08:14 AM
hyelife

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went and picked up the bike for 900. Other then the crappy pedals this thing is spanking New and is perfect fit for me (54cm). I will post up some pictures to show.