Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Critique my Garmin, please :) (new rider)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-10, 09:36 PM
canerino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A little about me. I have been on a road bike for a total of 5 times, 3 of them being on my 2011 Allez Comp (pics coming soon). I am REALLY enjoying it so far! My primary reason for getting into cycling is that I am a fat f#@k and need to get back in some sort of shape. I was a standout linebacker and catcher (15 years ago), but was never an endurance athlete...ever. I always had a bike growing up. In fact, I didnt own a car until I was 21 (I lived in Philadelphia, which made biking easy). I have since gotten away from it, but have found it to be a pleasure (although hard at times) since getting back in the saddle.

My goal is to become a 'solid cyclist' whatever the hell that means! Basically, I'd like to be competent and keep up with groups that are in the 15-17 mile an hour range. I see myself doing the occasional century (already doing the 75 mile City to Shore MS ride out of Philadelphia in September). On top of all of that, I'd like to drop a few lbs!

With all of that said, I would sincerely appreciate any feedback you could give to my Garmin output on tonights ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/45020832

Thanks!
Old 08-17-10, 09:45 PM
cwk132

Bikes: 2010 Giant Defy 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At this point numbers really don't even matter (although they are fun to watch!), what you really need is just a lot of "base miles." Basically, just keep riding as much as you can, without over doing it, and enjoy as you become faster and more fit!
Old 08-19-10, 06:11 PM
imscott66

Bikes: 2010 specialized allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The numbers look good to me....when I started riding, it was for distance and speed but I was corrected, and told to watch cadance.
An average of at least 80-90rpm is good but mostly have fun. And push yourself but not beyond your capabilities.....listen to your body.
Old 08-19-10, 06:17 PM
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks pretty good man for only your 5th ride. Just keep it up and don't worry about the numbers too much early on. Just keep track of them so you can look back on them in the future to see how much you've changed.
Old 08-19-10, 06:23 PM
wrr1020

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Keep at it, like others have said just keep riding and get the miles in. 75 miles next month already, not saying you can't do it but keep getting miles in and keep training for that. You may think its not much but when your on the saddle for 3+ hours and the fact you don't have many miles under your belt it may be a bit tough. Again, not trying to discourage you in anyway, just telling you like it is. Good luck and enjoy riding, i started back in April and i'm addicted.
Old 08-19-10, 07:39 PM
Saltybeagle

Bikes: Cannondale H300, Tommasini Velocista, Jamis Xenith Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
heart rate would be good to monitor
Old 08-20-10, 02:05 PM
NYJayhawk

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cadence is nice. Most rookies grind the pedals too slow. Descent around mile 18 looks like fun. Keep going. You won't win the 2011 Tour de France, but a century before the end of the year isn't out of the question either.