Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Right side numbness?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Right side numbness?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-12, 11:07 PM
Bahnzo

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn Passage, 2006 Giant OCR3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Right side numbness?

I've done my due diligence, google and etc.

My right hand gets numb when I ride more than 45mins or so. And it's not the pinky, like it's the ulnar nerve, it's usually my index finger, but it does have a tendency to ride up my arm to my elbow. Hours after my ride tonight, my hand/finger still hurts.

I ride a MTB (straight bars). I'm pretty sure the seat is ok, I don't sit forward and height is ok as far as I can tell. I've really done a lot of reading, and watching YouTube vids and surely this has something with my handlebars. But I'm puzzled as to why this only with my right hand? Could it be a problem with the angle of my bars? Could it be a problem with my grip shifts and the angle of my hand and constant shifting? I've certainly done my best to continually change my hand positions, and that does help, but still the pain and numbness exists.
Old 07-15-12, 10:19 AM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
I've done my due diligence, google and etc.

My right hand gets numb when I ride more than 45mins or so. And it's not the pinky, like it's the ulnar nerve, it's usually my index finger, but it does have a tendency to ride up my arm to my elbow. Hours after my ride tonight, my hand/finger still hurts.

I ride a MTB (straight bars). I'm pretty sure the seat is ok, I don't sit forward and height is ok as far as I can tell. I've really done a lot of reading, and watching YouTube vids and surely this has something with my handlebars. But I'm puzzled as to why this only with my right hand? Could it be a problem with the angle of my bars? Could it be a problem with my grip shifts and the angle of my hand and constant shifting? I've certainly done my best to continually change my hand positions, and that does help, but still the pain and numbness exists.
Get thee to a doctor ASAP!!!!!

Sounds like you've got nerve damage underway if not already done.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 07-15-12, 09:52 PM
Bahnzo

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn Passage, 2006 Giant OCR3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Have to admit I'm a bit shocked by that answer. Maybe I should elaborate.....

I've only been riding for less than a month. I originally had some soreness in my elbow which I seemed to fix it by lowering the handlebars. If was after that I began to experience some pain in my hand. I'm not sure I should call it numbness because it's not a tingling sensation, like when your foot falls asleep, but more like a soreness. I don't lose and feeling in my hand or fingers, but they do get sore. Varying hand placement helps, but it's still there. From everything I read it seems it's a bike fit sort of problem, but I'm unsure where to go now. Move seat...change the tilt of the bars?

I don't mean to disparage you, but it seems to me that nerve damage after such a short time on the bike seems unlikely.
Old 07-16-12, 05:26 AM
skycomag

Bikes: Nashbar trekking bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
are you riding trails,roads or pave bike path?
don't keep a death grip on your grips. try lightn'up on your grip.

are sitting up striaght or leaning forward? if you leaning you might be putting to much pressure on your hands.

do you use bar ends? this helps with changing hand postion. i set mine to my stem angle.

do you wear gloves? there are some that seem to help with numbness. i use spenco gloves.https://shop.spencocycling.com/ also try loking for them on ebay.

are your handle flat striaght or have a slight rise to them?
if a sl. rise maybe try tilting them back toward you slightly more.
if flat striaght, do they have a angle backward? if they are go to lbs an talk with if a different type of bars might be better.
flat bars really don't have much to adjust besides hieght adjustment.

you may want to look into getting a bike fitting done by your lbs.

medical attention is always sound advice you might have some carple tunnel prblems starting.

these are some of the steps i used to help with numbness in my hands.

best of luck

Last edited by skycomag; 07-16-12 at 05:30 AM.
Old 07-16-12, 09:46 AM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
Have to admit I'm a bit shocked by that answer. Maybe I should elaborate.....

I've only been riding for less than a month. I originally had some soreness in my elbow which I seemed to fix it by lowering the handlebars. If was after that I began to experience some pain in my hand. I'm not sure I should call it numbness because it's not a tingling sensation, like when your foot falls asleep, but more like a soreness. I don't lose and feeling in my hand or fingers, but they do get sore. Varying hand placement helps, but it's still there. From everything I read it seems it's a bike fit sort of problem, but I'm unsure where to go now. Move seat...change the tilt of the bars?

I don't mean to disparage you, but it seems to me that nerve damage after such a short time on the bike seems unlikely.
Sorry, what you discribe IS nerve damage!! The bike riding now may be irritating the nerve injury that was already there!

Either way you should find out how bad the injury is now and what the doctor says to do to keep it from getting worse!!!

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 07-25-12, 12:33 PM
Midnight Biker
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the end it looks up being a bike thing after the night.
Old 07-25-12, 05:10 PM
Midnight Biker
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found several used bikes at a thrift store. One of them is a Diamond Back bike, which I thought was from Di ck's sporting goods. I know many don't like those bikes and they're not the best or whatever, but they are probably better than walmart bikes (I had one once. It was terrible.)The bike is $50. It rides okay, shift gears smooth to me. Is it dumb to get a bike like this? Thanks.I found several used bikes at a thrift store. One of them is a Diamond Back bike, which I thought was from Di ck's sporting goods. I know many don't like those bikes and they're not the best or whatever, but they are probably better than walmart bikes (I had one once. It was terrible.)The bike is $50. It rides okay, shift gears smooth to me. Is it dumb to get a bike like this? Thanks.I found several used bikes at a thrift store.

One of them is a Diamond Back bike, which I thought was from Di ck's sporting goods. I know many don't like those bikes and they're not the best or whatever, but they are probably better than walmart bikes (I had one once. It was terrible.)

The bike is $50. It rides okay, shift gears smooth to me. Is it dumb to get a bike like this? Thanks.I found several used bikes at a thrift store.

LOL One of them is a Diamond Back bike, which I thought was from Di ck's sporting goods. I know many don't like those bikes and they're not the best or whatever, but they are probably better than walmart bikes (I had one once. It was terrible.)The bike is $50. It rides okay, shift gears smooth to me. Is it dumb to get a bike like this? Thanks.I found several used bikes at a thrift store. One of them is a Diamond Back bike, which I thought was from Di ck's sporting goods. I know many don't like those bikes and they're not the best or whatever, but they are probably better than walmart bikes (I had one once. It was terrible.)The bike is $50. It rides okay, shift gears smooth to me. Is it dumb to get a bike like this? Thanks.I found several used bikes at a thrift store. One of them is a Diamond Back bike, which I thought was from Di ck's sporting goods. I know many don't like those bikes and they're not the best or whatever, but they are probably better than walmart bikes (I had one once. It was terrible.)

And there's more:

The bike is $50. It rides okay, shift gears smooth to me. Is it dumb to get a bike like this? Thanks.I found several used bikes at a thrift store. One of them is a Diamond Back bike, which I thought was from Di ck's sporting goods. I know many don't like those bikes and they're not the best or whatever, but they are probably better than walmart bikes (I had one once. It was terrible.)The bike is $50. It rides okay, shift gears smooth to me. Is it dumb to get a bike like this? Thanks.I found several used bikes at a thrift store. One of them is a Diamond Back bike, which I thought was from Di ck's sporting goods. I know many don't like those bikes and they're not the best or whatever, but they are probably better than walmart bikes (I had one once. It was terrible.)The bike is $50. It rides okay, shift gears smooth to me. Is it dumb to get a bike like this? Thanks.I found several used bikes at a thrift store. One of them is a Diamond Back bike, which I thought was from Di ck's sporting goods. I know many don't like those bikes and they're not the best or whatever, but they are probably better than walmart bikes (I had one once. It was terrible.)The bike is $50. It rides okay, shift gears smooth to me. Is it dumb to get a bike like this? Thanks.I found several used bikes at a thrift store. One of them is a Diamond Back bike, which I thought was from Di ck's sporting goods. I know many don't like those bikes and they're not the best or whatever, but they are probably better than walmart bikes (I had one once. It was terrible.)The bike is $50. It rides okay, shift gears smooth to me. Is it dumb to get a bike like this? Thanks.I found several used bikes at a thrift store. One of them is a Diamond Back bike, which I thought was from Di ck's sporting goods. I know many don't like those bikes and they're not the best or whatever, but they are probably better than walmart bikes (I had one once. It was terrible.)The bike is $50. It rides okay, shift gears smooth to me. Is it dumb to get a bike like this? Thanks.I found several used bikes at a thrift store. One of them is a Diamond Back bike, which I thought was from Di ck's sporting goods. I know many don't like those bikes and they're not the best or whatever, but they are probably better than walmart bikes (I had one once. It was terrible.)

The bike is $50. It rides okay, shift gears smooth to me. Is it dumb to get a bike like this? Thanks.I found several used bikes at a thrift store. One of them is a Diamond Back bike, which I thought was from Di ck's sporting goods. I know many don't like those bikes and they're not the best or whatever, but they are probably better than walmart bikes (I had one once. It was terrible.)

The bike is $50. It rides okay, shift gears smooth to me. Is it dumb to get a bike like this? Thanks.I found several used bikes at a thrift store. One of them is a Diamond Back bike, which I thought was from Di ck's sporting goods. I know many don't like those bikes and they're not the best or whatever, but they are probably better than walmart bikes (I had one once. It was terrible.)

The bike is $50. It rides okay, shift gears smooth to me. Is it dumb to get a bike like this? Thanks.I found several used bikes at a thrift store. One of them is a Diamond Back bike, which I thought was from Di ck's sporting goods. I know many don't like those bikes and they're not the best or whatever, but they are probably better than walmart bikes (I had one once. It was terrible.)The bike is $50. It rides okay, shift gears smooth to me. Is it dumb to get a bike like this? Thanks.I found several used bikes at a thrift store. One of them is a Diamond Back bike, which I thought was from Di ck's sporting goods. I know many don't like those bikes and they're not the best or whatever, but they are probably better than walmart bikes (I had one once. It was terrible.)The bike is $50. It rides okay, shift gears smooth to me. Is it dumb to get a bike like this? Thanks.I found several used bikes at a thrift store. One of them is a Diamond Back bike, which I thought was from Di ck's sporting goods. I know many don't like those bikes and they're not the best or whatever, but they are probably better than walmart bikes (I had one once. It was terrible.)

So to summarize:

The bike is $50. It rides okay, shift gears smooth to me. Is it dumb to get a bike like this? Thanks.I found several used bikes at a thrift store. One of them is a Diamond Back bike, which I thought was from Di ck's sporting goods. I know many don't like those bikes and they're not the best or whatever, but they are probably better than walmart bikes (I had one once. It was terrible.)The bike is $50. It rides okay, shift gears smooth to me. Is it dumb to get a bike like this? Thanks.I found several used bikes at a thrift store. One of them is a Diamond Back bike, which I thought was from Di ck's sporting goods. I know many don't like those bikes and they're not the best or whatever, but they are probably better than walmart bikes (I had one once. It was terrible.)

The bike is $50. It rides okay, shift gears smooth to me.

Is it dumb to get a bike like this? Thanks.I found several used bikes at a thrift store. One of them is a Diamond Back bike, which I thought was from Di ck's sporting goods. I know many don't like those bikes and they're not the best or whatever, but they are probably better than walmart bikes (I had one once. It was terrible.)

The bike is $50. It rides okay, shift gears smooth to me. Is it dumb to get a bike like this? Thanks.I found several used bikes at a thrift store. One of them is a Diamond Back bike, which I thought was from Di ck's sporting goods. I know many don't like those bikes and they're not the best or whatever, but they are probably better than walmart bikes (I had one once. It was terrible.)The bike is $50. It rides okay, shift gears smooth to me. Is it dumb to get a bike like this? Thanks.I found several used bikes at a thrift store. One of them is a Diamond Back bike, which I thought was from Di ck's sporting goods. I know many don't like those bikes and they're not the best or whatever, but they are probably better than walmart bikes (I had one once. It was terrible.)The bike is $50. It rides okay, shift gears smooth to me. Is it dumb to get a bike like this? Thanks.I found several used bikes at a thrift store. One of them is a Diamond Back bike, which I thought was from Di ck's sporting goods. I know many don't like those bikes and they're not the best or whatever, but they are probably better than walmart bikes (I had one once. It was terrible.)The bike is $50. It rides okay, shift gears smooth to me. Is it dumb to get a bike like this? Thanks.I found several used bikes at a thrift store. One of them is a Diamond Back bike, which I thought was from Di ck's sporting goods. I know many don't like those bikes and they're not the best or whatever, but they are probably better than walmart bikes (I had one once. It was terrible.)The bike is $50. It rides okay, shift gears smooth to me. Is it dumb to get a bike like this? Thanks.I found several used bikes at a thrift store. One of them is a Diamond Back bike, which I thought was from Di ck's sporting goods. I know many don't like those bikes and they're not the best or whatever, but they are probably better than walmart bikes (I had one once. It was terrible.)The bike is $50. It rides okay, shift gears smooth to me. Is it dumb to get a bike like this? Thanks.I found several used bikes at a thrift store. One of them is a Diamond Back bike, which I thought was from Di ck's sporting goods. I know many don't like those bikes and they're not the best or whatever, but they are probably better than walmart bikes (I had one once. It was terrible.)

The bike is $50. It rides okay, shift gears smooth to me. Is it dumb to get a bike like this? Thanks.I found several used bikes at a thrift store. One of them is a Diamond Back bike, which I thought was from Di ck's sporting goods. I know many don't like those bikes and they're not the best or whatever, but they are probably better than walmart bikes (I had one once. It was terrible.)The bike is $50. It rides okay, shift gears smooth to me. Is it dumb to get a bike like this? Thanks.I found several used bikes at a thrift store. One of them is a Diamond Back bike, which I thought was from Di ck's sporting goods. I know many don't like those bikes and they're not the best or whatever, but they are probably better than walmart bikes (I had one once. It was terrible.)

The bike is $50. It rides okay, shift gears smooth to me. Is it dumb to get a bike like this?

Thanks.I found several used bikes at a thrift store. One of them is a Diamond Back bike, which I thought was from Di ck's sporting goods. I know many don't like those bikes and they're not the best or whatever, but they are probably better than walmart bikes (I had one once. It was terrible.)

The bike is $50. It rides okay, shift gears smooth to me. Is it dumb to get a bike like this? Thanks.I found several used bikes at a thrift store.

One of them is a Diamond Back bike, which I thought was from Di ck's sporting goods.

I know many don't like those bikes and they're not the best or whatever, but they are probably better than walmart bikes (I had one once. It was terrible.)

The bike is $50. It rides okay, shift gears smooth to me. Is it dumb to get a bike like this? Thanks.
Old 07-25-12, 05:23 PM
Titanl9

Bikes: Full Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All depends on your history, how long it takes for pain to set in during a ride, and age. If 18yrs old, nerve damage is unlikely, but 30's+ that's another subject. Its not uncommon for someone that just started riding to encounter pain in hand, shoulders, sometimes lower back, etc. That could also signal he's a candidate for a poorly fitted bike / saddle to bar length and height. Some people have problems with the more upright saddle position and extension on MTB's. The same goes for some people and road bikes.