Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on 650B for commuting/utility.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-13, 06:36 PM
Chesha Neko

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Most perspectives on 650B are written by the Rando/BQ/Rivbike subcultures. I've had some time now to come to grips with the conversion to 650B for my everyday use, riding to work everyday and running errands. Was it worth it? I have to give a qualified yes.

The Pros?

The smoother ride of a supple 42mm tire, but with nearly the same weight and handling of a 23mm tire@700c. I had to drop my tire pressures significantly below the recommended levels to find that smoother ride, but I did find it. If I'd gone to a 40mm tire on 700C it would have needed new wider-rimmed wheels in any case, and instead of a 50 gram weight penalty per tire/tube/wheel, the penalty would have been nearer 500 grams each, and no doubt have included some change in handling, and the loss of my fender clearance which I retained with 650B.

The Cons?

Cost. The tires are very expensive. Crazy expensive. The extra light Grand Bois tires only seem to have one source, though a fair selection of other 650B tires are available. The most expensive part of the conversion was the custom wheelset, as fixed gear 650B wheels simply aren't on offer anywhere. The wheels are beautifully made, but they were dear. A lot of the proponents of 650B seem fairly well monied, and can afford custom and handbuilt frames and such, but I am not one of them.

Differences in Speed?

I think it is largely a wash. The slight increase in rolling resistance over a 23 or 25mm 700C race tire is made up for in the ability to ride flat out over most rough surfaces. The roads here as pretty bad, and with narrow tires one is constantly swerving around the frequent rough patches and/or having to lift yourself off of the saddle. Also, less energy is required to ride over rough surfaces which I find leaves me fresher and with more energy at the end of the ride.

So for the car-free enthusiast that cycles everywhere as fast as they can, I can see 650B being a valid option. For the pragmatic commuter, less so -- the cost-benefit just isn't there.

Old 04-07-13, 09:54 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Chesha Neko
So for the car-free enthusiast that cycles everywhere as fast as they can, I can see 650B being a valid option. For the pragmatic commuter, less so -- the cost-benefit just isn't there.
Is being car-free a necessary condition to making the 650B a valid option?
Old 04-07-13, 10:00 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I haven't tried the high-zoot Grand Bois tires, but I really like medium-zoot 35-42mm tires for overall usage. I'm thinking of the Panaracer 26"x1.75" on my fixed-gear, and the Panaracer Col de Vie 26"x1-3/8" on my new bike. Comfy and fast over rough pavement. (And about half the cost.)
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-07-13, 10:04 PM
ClemY

Bikes: Hollands Touring Bike, Schwinn mountain bike, folding bike, tandem and triple

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think 650b are interesting, but I see it as a boutique choice. Tires, rims, frames that fit are all hard to find and/or expensive. I have a couple of bikes with 26” wheels and a bunch with 700c. If I want fat tires, I have a couple of choice in bikes, and lots of good choices in tires. I am happy with what I have. If you like 650b, great. I’m not stopping you.
Old 04-07-13, 10:36 PM
Chesha Neko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Is being car-free a necessary condition to making the 650B a valid option?
No, just speaking from my car-free perspective. Not spending anything on a car allows one to spend a bit more on the bicycle -- if one so chooses.
Old 04-07-13, 10:37 PM
Chesha Neko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I haven't tried the high-zoot Grand Bois tires, but I really like medium-zoot 35-42mm tires for overall usage. I'm thinking of the Panaracer 26"x1.75" on my fixed-gear, and the Panaracer Col de Vie 26"x1-3/8" on my new bike. Comfy and fast over rough pavement. (And about half the cost.)
The Soma B-Sides also look like a good option.
Old 04-08-13, 12:00 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
As long as you got spare tires wheels, it's all good.