Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Old 07-02-16, 04:15 PM
gycho77

Bikes: Serotta steel track bike, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
Good handling is related to the weight balance (the amount of a rider's weight that is over the front wheel, and over the rear wheel) - and that is related to stem length.

Also, good athletes tend to be flexible, and able to ride a long and low position comfortably, while putting out power. And, it's more aerodynamic.
thanks you for your explanation.
I was just wondering why would they make their top tube shorter(custom frame) to fit long stems.
Old 07-03-16, 11:36 AM
mrwonton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone use a Planet X track frame on the street? With the Planet X stealth fork for brake? I love the look of this bike but don't ride velodrome. Thanks.
Old 07-03-16, 12:38 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by mrwonton
Anyone use a Planet X track frame on the street? With the Planet X stealth fork for brake? I love the look of this bike but don't ride velodrome. Thanks.
Hi. This sub-forum is specifically for training and racing on the velodrome. There is a sub-forum for street riding. You should ask here: Singlespeed & Fixed Gear - Bike Forums
Old 07-03-16, 12:46 PM
mrwonton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok thanks. Didn't realize this was so pacific.
Old 07-03-16, 03:04 PM
carleton
Elitist

Ok thanks. Didn't realize this was so pacific.
I find that hard to believe, being that your first 2 posts were in Single Speed - Fixed gear last month.

But, it's all good. Good luck.
Old 07-03-16, 04:52 PM
mrwonton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just meant I didn't think it was a big deal to post it here and not there since the bike itself is mainly a dedicated track bike and not very associated with street riding. I'll try over there.
Old 07-03-16, 08:19 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
I just meant I didn't think it was a big deal to post it here and not there since the bike itself is mainly a dedicated track bike and not very associated with street riding. I'll try over there.
It isn't a big deal. We're happy to field questions from anyone that comes through here. We'll redirect only when we think you'll get a better answer somewhere else. Most guys that come through here don't ride their track bikes on the street, and if they do have a tarck bike for the street, it will be very different from their track steed. It's not that we can't help you with the bike, it's that we don't have any experience with what your end use of it is going to be.
Old 07-05-16, 08:25 AM
tobukog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
New member here. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with Planet X pro vs Planet X Kochi-san frames. I was also wondering if any aero testing data was public available for track bikes frames. Thanks!
Old 07-05-16, 08:42 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by tobukog
New member here. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with Planet X pro vs Planet X Kochi-san frames. I was also wondering if any aero testing data was public available for track bikes frames. Thanks!
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I used the Planet X Stealth Pro Carbon back in 2009. It's probably different now.

Aero testing data isn't common and is usually only released as part of marketing materials, so should be taken with a grain of salt. Independent aero testing (like you see with many road components) is rare for track components.
Old 07-05-16, 08:50 AM
gycho77

Bikes: Serotta steel track bike, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Welcome to this forum!

Aerodynamic is not a big issue in track world.
Instead Stiffness and geometry is more important than aerodynamic.
Carleton once said "If you are not losing by .01second aero equipments are not going to make a difference"

Also Planet X frames are not that stiff, so I recommend other track bikes such as Hoy track bike and other
Old 07-05-16, 09:25 AM
tobukog

Well, being a small endurance rider, I'm not sure stiffness is too much of an issue for me. Frames at my size tend to be pretty stiff anyway. As for aero, I kind of hoped on aeroing my way to a medal at Masters Nationals. I doubt I can make over 1000w in a sprint finish, so I have to get my speed from somewhere.
Old 07-05-16, 09:38 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gycho77
Aerodynamic is not a big issue in track world.
Instead Stiffness and geometry is more important than aerodynamic.

Also Planet X frames are not that stiff
Please remove your sprint coloured glasses for a second... Aero is very important! Why do you think we use double discs for the pursuit? Rear disc all the time... Sprint races are often won by 0.1 of a second.

The Planet X frame geometry is fine.

Where you you get the Planet X frames are too flexy? Especially since we don't know the weight or race preference of the person asking. I have both a Planet X Track frame which you say is flexy and an overweight and over engineered BT Stealth and personally can't notice a difference.
Old 07-05-16, 09:52 AM
tobukog

Originally Posted by carleton
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I used the Planet X Stealth Pro Carbon back in 2009. It's probably different now.

Aero testing data isn't common and is usually only released as part of marketing materials, so should be taken with a grain of salt. Independent aero testing (like you see with many road components) is rare for track components.
That's what I thought. Let the buyer beware I guess. All the equipment in the world won't help unless I have the legs -- I guess I'll find out this Saturday at Atlanta. It's been over 10 years since I've felt competitive in an A field, but this year I've been flying on the road so I figure I have a decent shot at doing ok. Ok, as being able to finish with the field. Of course you always hope for a little better...
Old 07-05-16, 09:56 AM
Dalai

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I was also wondering if any aero testing data was public available for track bikes frames. Thanks!
I am yet to see independent aerodynamic test results for track frames.

Planet X do make some claims about the Kochi San frameset... But as Carleton alludes to, you need to take anything a manufacturer says with a grain of salt.
Old 07-05-16, 11:35 PM
Dalai

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dalai
I have a converted Zipp Predator (The original Zipp disc) which I got for free and a Zipp 950 I used till a few years ago on my TT bike with an 8 speed screw on cluster I'll convert shortly. The disc is now permanently bolted on the bike which is raced a couple of days a week and the disc has been rock solid. I have heard concerns of the glue holding the hub to the disk failing but mine looks fine and holds up to my skinny enduro leg sprints...
Predator hub finally gave way at the glue interface with the disc. Luckily it wasn't a total failure so gave gave way slightly under full load. Was repaired by Raoul at Luescher Teknik who drilled small holes in the hub flange and injected glue to rebond.
Old 07-05-16, 11:51 PM
Dalai

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I was also wondering if any aero testing data was public available for track bikes frames. Thanks!
Not comparing frames, but some Interesting journal articles in the following topic -https://www.bikeforums.net/track-cycling-velodrome-racing-training-area/987591-journal-articles.html

Particularly note the opus - Aerodynamics of Track Cycling by By Lindsey Underwood in the first post.
Old 07-06-16, 07:35 AM
tobukog

Not comparing frames, but some Interesting journal articles in the following topic -https://www.bikeforums.net/track-cycling-velodrome-racing-training-area/987591-journal-articles.html

Particularly note the opus - Aerodynamics of Track Cycling by By Lindsey Underwood in the first post.
Thank you. I'm really a big picture / passion type of rider, but I've had to change the way I think over the past several years. All these stupid marginal gains in tires, even different skin suits, position, shoes, wheels, frames, etc add up.
Old 07-06-16, 08:15 AM
Dalai

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I'm a true believer in aerodynamics. Though on the TT bike, I came out of my windtunnel session ~43 Watts the better. Only 10 Watts was from a faster helmet, the rest positional! No way I could have made that improvement in 2 hours training...

If going out and needing to buy a frame anyway, why not also consider aerodynamics! It's not like focusing on aerodynamic gains is mutually exclusive to all the other necessary things required to be a fast cyclist. It just complements it...
Old 07-06-16, 08:26 AM
Dalai

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I haven't seen the Koichi in the flesh, but can comment on the stealth.

The tube shapes such as the down tube are surprisingly not true aerofoils. Appears more 'aero' than the aluminium frame it replaced.

For pursuits - I had to use an adjustable stem to get lower due to the tall head tube.

Since you are in the US, have you considered the Affinity Kissena?
Old 07-06-16, 08:45 AM
tobukog

Well, I'm on a Masi Coltello right now. The version I have is known cracking at the seat collar, and I've had it repaired once. It will probably have to be replaced at some point soon, so I've been thinking about other bikes. I've been out of the latest track developments for a while, so I really don't know what's out there. I'll look at the Affinity.
Old 07-06-16, 03:09 PM
Koogar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks, Dalai, interesting reference. I'm not deep in this literature and wondering if I'm interpreting the following from Underwood in the same way as others (emphasis is mine):

"A. Lukes et al. [2005] state that an aerodynamic frame is 3% faster than a normal frame, and by shielding the components the drag can be reduced. Kyle and Weaver [2004] also state that by hiding the screws, bolts, fastenings and other external components, covering the under saddle, smoothing the cranks and sprockets, and having long, thin aero elements for the frame, the drag can be reduced by as much as 14%. According to Lukes et al. [2005] the handlebars contribute to 10% of the total drag on the frame and components (excluding the wheels, saddle and seat post) which is equivalent to approximately 3% of the total drag on a cyclist (the frame, wheels and components account for only 30% of the total drag on a cyclist)."

Doesn't this imply that the reduction in total drag of bike+rider that can be expected by optimizing the frame for aerodynamics is less than 0.14*0.03 or about 0.4%?
Old 07-07-16, 11:44 PM
Koogar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone know of a good SRM PC8 stem mount? I use 3T Scatto bars, so the regular mount isn't an option, and I don't want to resort to the so-pro under saddle setup unless and until forced to do so.
Old 07-08-16, 12:25 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Koogar
Does anyone know of a good SRM PC8 stem mount? I use 3T Scatto bars, so the regular mount isn't an option, and I don't want to resort to the so-pro under saddle setup unless and until forced to do so.
I'd ask on slowtwitch. They have a lot of funky setups with aerobars and SRMs are popular. That's where I learned of the stem mount for the SRM that you see in my pics. I think it was made by an engineer working out of his home as a side project. I got it back in 2011, so the details are fuzzy.
Old 07-08-16, 01:30 AM
Dalai

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Koogar
Something like? REC Mounts SRM Onry Computer Mount Bolt Clamp Type SRM Bolt FOR POWERCONTROL8 | eBay

Old 07-08-16, 02:44 PM
Koogar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Dalai - that's pretty slick. Any experience with it? My only reservation would be around not knowing the quality/specifications of those spacer bolts and not wanting to find the bars no longer connected to the stem while riding some day. I've reached out to the seller to try to find out if it's compatible with a Thomson X4.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.