Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Limiting My Budget

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Limiting My Budget

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-14, 01:22 AM
danieldlg13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Limiting My Budget

I think I posted this on the wrong section initially.
Hi all! I haven't had a bike in a very, very long time... say 15+ years! Things have definitely changed since then and now my wife and I are looking to purchase a bike for each of us and also be able to attach a trailer for our baby. I've done some looking around and visited both big box stores and LBS and also searched online for reviews and opinions. I have already ruled out the big box stores... if I'm going to spend the money, I want something to last. On the other hand, I will be riding occasionally, probably on the weekends or my days off (which are rare). What type of bike am I looking for when it comes to that type of riding. Most would be done on pavement and some at the park on grass or dirt.
Some options that the LBS and big box stores have offered:
-Marin San Rafael DS1 Dual Sport Urban Bike 2013 and DS2 2013
-Giant Sedona DX 2013
-Schwinn Signature Sierra 2013
-Raleigh Venture or Route 2013
-Cannondale Adventure 3

Some that I've seen online:
-Giant Escape 3 2013
-Specialized Expedition
-Giant Revel 3 (I think this is a mountain bike)

I see that some say Hybrid others say Comfort or Urban and the LBS also said that I could look into some mountain bikes for the style of riding I am going to be doing. My budget will be $400 and from the looks of it, I'm probably low balling it to get a great bike. I'm concerned just to get a good bike that won't break down on me in the next few years with me riding it occasionally and not looking to break the bank.
Any of those just a bad decision? Will a mountain bike be just as safe and comfortable as a Hybrid, Comfort or Urban (I like the front suspension)? Any other bike that you can suggest in that price range?

Thanks in advance!!!
-Daniel
Old 03-07-14, 03:55 AM
BruceHankins

Bikes: Shogun 400 ('83), Kuwahara Newport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Front suspension is unnecessary for the type of riding you'll be doing. Giant is good value for money on most of their lineup. Specialized has the Globe series also that would be good, but I'm not sure on the pricing. From what it sounds like, you'll be doing shorter, 5-10 mile, rides, so yes a mtb would work. I would still prefer a hybrid/comfort bike though. Another option is to ask your LBS about used bikes that they sell.
Old 03-07-14, 08:25 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
For the Giant brand, you may want to add the Cypress model to your list. It is basically the same as the Sedona, but with 700c wheels.

As far as reliability, I have a Sedona DX from 2003 that has been my primary bike for years, and with many miles under my weight (more than 300 pounds) it has done well. Although, I suspect that most of the bikes you list will last just fine.

If I were to buy today, I would have considered the lowest level Sedona or Cypress, since they don't have a shock... But then again, I replaced the shock with a rigid fork several years ago, so that is basically what I have now.

As for mountain bikes, you will give up some efficiency on roads and paved paths due to the tires... but other than that, they would probably suit your needs as well.

My "rules" for an entry level hybrid/comfort bike today are simple.

1) Prefer no shock.

2) If Shimano equipped, I don't like going below the named groups. (their lowest level components only have an alphabetic prefix and number instead of a name). I am willing to break this rule for the front derailleur.

3) Must have a cassette (no freewheels). I believe anything with 8 sprockets will be a cassette, and some 7 speeds.

Other than that, ride a few and see what you like.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 03-07-14, 01:18 PM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My vote goes for the Escape. Though I'd much prefer the Escape 2 instead of the Escape 3, if I were pulling any valuable cargo
Old 03-07-14, 08:33 PM
danieldlg13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I narrowed my options between 2 hybrids: Giant Escape 3 or Fuji Crosstown 2.1 and a less aggressive mountain bike: Giant Revel 2.

Your thoughts please.
Old 03-07-14, 09:13 PM
deerfly

Bikes: 2012 Marin Rock Springs, 2012 Trek 8.3 DS, 2013 Cannondale Quick SL2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Out of curiosity, what prices were you seeig on the Marin San Rafael DS1 and DS2?

Both can be had for some pretty good prices:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Marin-S...item1e8838f09c

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Marin-S...ht_6794wt_1176
Old 03-07-14, 09:53 PM
danieldlg13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deerfly
Out of curiosity, what prices were you seeig on the Marin San Rafael DS1 and DS2?

Both can be had for some pretty good prices:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Marin-S...item1e8838f09c

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Marin-S...ht_6794wt_1176
I saw them for over $450 each. That is about half the price for the DS1! My only concern would be if the bike is damaged or something is wrong with the bike.
The LBS gave me a deal on each:
Giant Escape $409
Giant Revel 2 $399
Fuji Crosstown 2.1 $325
They each seem to have the same Shimano brakes series...
Old 03-08-14, 04:50 AM
deerfly

Bikes: 2012 Marin Rock Springs, 2012 Trek 8.3 DS, 2013 Cannondale Quick SL2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've purchased 2 bikes from this same vendor in the past few months, one for my wife and one for myself. Both were about half what I could get them elsewhere. I also know of other people from this forum who have purchased from this vendor and were happy. The bikes arrived in the original factory packaging. No dents, cuts or rips. Everything was in perfect condition. If you go into Ebay, type in "Marin bicycles" in the search field. This particular vendor has a ton of them, a LOT of mountain bikes, road bikes, comfort bikes, cruisers, flat bar bikes. You name it, all brand new at like 40% off.

You should at least check it out. I wish I had more money, I would pick up a couple of nice road bikes from them.
Old 03-08-14, 09:16 AM
BruceHankins

Bikes: Shogun 400 ('83), Kuwahara Newport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the look of the escape 3 better but lean more towards the Fuji for price. They are both pretty similar as far as components. Ride both and see which feels better.
Old 03-08-14, 09:59 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by WestPablo
My vote goes for the Escape. Though I'd much prefer the Escape 2 instead of the Escape 3, if I were pulling any valuable cargo
This!!!!!! More bang for your buck, and a nice bike, too........................ the 3 is also a nice bike.... MHO

edit: Just saw the Marin DS2, and is a lot of bike for the money - however, my experience with Marin, is that it's going to be a little heavy. But, then again, its specs say it is a somewhat heavy duty bike......... all depends on what you are looking for ----- Giant really builds nice bikes, and so does Marin ---- I wouldn't be afraid of either one...... If you really need heavier duty, go Marin. If you want lighter and every bit as nice, Go Giant.

Don't be afraid of non suspended bikes, unless you are mountain climbing, ride on extremely rough surfaces a lot, or need it for physical problems. The trekking suspension forks they use on Hybrids are reasonable for their cost and use. They must have a lockout feature, IMHO.

It's also my understanding that Crosslake will ship whatever size you want to buy. If you have your LBS assemble and adjust, you will still prob be money ahead - but, I would also ck to see if they would meet that price.

Last edited by Wanderer; 03-08-14 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-08-14, 02:46 PM
danieldlg13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got off the phone with the LBS and they offered a "better" suited bike for me with "better" components. It's a 2013 Fuji Traverse 1.5. The LBS stated it had:
front deraileur - Shimano Tourney, 34.9mm
rear deraileur - Shimano Altus, 7 speed
shifters - Shimano EZ-Fire, 7 speed
cassette - Shimano Tourney, 14-34T, 7 speed
brakes - Shimano EZ-Fire, 2 finger
fork - adjustable

adjustable fork mean that I can lock it out? This stays within my budget of $400 but I still haven't had time to red it. Are the specs on this so far any good?
Old 03-08-14, 03:05 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by danieldlg13
Just got off the phone with the LBS and they offered a "better" suited bike for me with "better" components. It's a 2013 Fuji Traverse 1.5. The LBS stated it had:
front deraileur - Shimano Tourney, 34.9mm
rear deraileur - Shimano Altus, 7 speed
shifters - Shimano EZ-Fire, 7 speed
cassette - Shimano Tourney, 14-34T, 7 speed
brakes - Shimano EZ-Fire, 2 finger
fork - adjustable

adjustable fork mean that I can lock it out? This stays within my budget of $400 but I still haven't had time to red it. Are the specs on this so far any good?
So so. IMO you should get the best bike you can afford. Though my wife's comfort hybrid has Tourney derailleurs, I would advise to go with at least Altus level components, or better yet, Alivio. That said, it should be ok for what you are looking to do. Nothing wrong with 7 speed shifters, though if I were you, I would be looking for at least 8 speeds. The years go by before you know it, and you may find yourself struggling to keep up with your child 1 day.

also strongly agree with those who advise getting a bike with a rigid fork. Suspension forks on $400 bikes generally suck and just add weight.

edit. A little confused. I just looked up the specs on the Fuji and it is an 8 speed.

Last edited by MRT2; 03-08-14 at 03:19 PM.