Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Search
Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-12, 06:43 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Sara, there must be someone in your club that has local knowledge as to how the ditches play out in the race and especially the one before the turn. I think you need some intelligence so that you can anticipate problems and take advantage of situations.
Hermes, I've asked around about the course. No one has raced it recently. The only thing anyone seems to recall as any sort of an issue is the "hill".. It's mentioned, at least, but the culverts aren't.

Shovel, that 130 degree turn I mentioned - I'm going to hang out there prior to my race and watch how it's handled. It would be my bet, too, that if anything bad happens, that would be the place.

Chasm - California neighborhood streets! That's what they're like around here.
Old 07-13-12, 10:00 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Did a split workout yesterday. Morning I rode my "lower loop", an hour with 1200' of climbing. Pretty hot and humid (90/90), but a steady 50 TSS ride. Came home, jumped in the pool to cool off and drank my recovery drink while playing with the dogs. It's pretty funny watching a dog land in the water from below the surface.

Hit the track late afternoon. Another 50 TSS workout focusing on some team pursuit, flying 500, 750, and 1250 efforts. Tried to do some more aero testing on base bars but had some issues with mounting the head unit on one set, placed in my pocket the head unit recorded sporadically on one of the runs so the data is spacy.

Think I'm going to do more of these split workouts to try to bump up my fitness and speed for road nats, while keeping the speed I need for track.
Old 07-13-12, 12:08 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Did an easy one hour spin session this morning, I'm recovering now. I never exceeded 75% power, and kept my heart rate below LTR for most of the session. When I did feel burn, I'd back off. I kept my cadence at 90 - 100 or so, except for two 1 minute "bursts" (at low effort) after warmup where I ran it up to 110 RPM. My legs feel fresh, they recovered very quickly, and I have no lingering effects. That tells me I went easy, and I'm as ready as I'm going to be at my current state of fitness.

I hope I can keep my nerves under control. I'll concentrate hard on that. Also, I need to make sure I have a decent warmup, and I have a plan for that, based on suggestions I've gotten here.

I'm eating protein right now, trying to get the reserves topped off! Darn, I'd love to have a Costco Dog, but that's way over the top!
Old 07-13-12, 12:21 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
Ex, Kristen Armstrong is an advocate of using track pursuit to improve road TTs. I thinks she has the best spin in pro women's cycling.
Old 07-14-12, 11:38 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

2 hours on the TT bike 110 TSS. It was a beautiful day with cool temperatures and sunny. The focus was longer z4 power efforts.
Old 07-15-12, 08:37 AM
VanceMac

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Up and down couple weeks that reflected my (unintentional) focus on shorter distances and intensity this year.

The good: Had a very good road time trail (20k), a pretty good effort in a crit with a strong field, an outstanding Roger's session at the track (which ended with 4 laps solo to finish the motor game), and decent effort at a track omnium.

The bad: Yesterday went out for a long climbing ride. Now, my forte (relatively speaking, of course) has always been climbing and endurance. And I had a stretch in May/June where I mixed in a long climbing ride every week for 4 weeks (ranged from 7k-9.5k) and it seemed to be going pretty good. But yesterday was a disaster. Went out a little too hot for the first segment (a little over an hour and half), not blazing fast. But that was pretty much the end of my day. The group ended up with 100/11k, but I limped home with half that.

I suppose it could be that I'm overdue for a rest week, or just a bad day, or whatever. But it was discouraging.
Old 07-15-12, 02:20 PM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2 hours of just riding around, after three days off the bike. It was nice to ask my fresh legs for some power and have them say "yes sir" rather than getting all namby-pamby and whining about it. But speaking of "yes sirs". we were off picking up my 16yo step-son after what was essentially a 10 day Marine Corps mini-boot-camp. He got sick early on, and had great opportunities to HTFU, which he did. Among his take-aways were that officers have it a lot better than the enlisted men and women. (Duh!) That, and not making a single decision for 10 straight days. He mentioned he never used the sweat-pants that were on the packing list. When his mom asked if that was because it was too much trouble to take his boots off and switch to the sweat-pants in the evening, he said no, that was because nobody ever told them to put on their sweat-pants.
Old 07-15-12, 06:16 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

2 hour endurance ride featuring a ride up Kings Mountain at SST power. It is not quite as long as the Diablo 10K ITT climb but it is steeper. We had another beautiful day with moderate temperatures and sunny skies.
Old 07-16-12, 03:12 PM
tony2v

Bikes: 1975 Albert Eisentraut, 1992 Bill Davidson, 2006 Moots Compact, 2007 KHS Solo-One, 2010 Van Dessel Drag Strip Courage, 2013 Alchemy Xanthus, 2016 Breadwinner Lolo, 2018 Moots VaMoots RSL, 2019 Chapter2 Tere Disc, 2020 Chapter2 Ao Limited Edition

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
No training yesterday instead spent 7.5 hrs painting the San Diego Velodrome. The SoCal Elite Tracks is coming this weekend July 21-22. Also no Adult Track class tonight cuz the gang is finishing the painting and it needs 24 hrs to dry, but just in time for racing tomorrow night...TNR!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2012-07-15_15-06-52_34.jpg (94.5 KB, 115 views)
Old 07-16-12, 03:49 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

I'll be down for the 4k.
Old 07-16-12, 04:54 PM
tony2v

Bikes: 1975 Albert Eisentraut, 1992 Bill Davidson, 2006 Moots Compact, 2007 KHS Solo-One, 2010 Van Dessel Drag Strip Courage, 2013 Alchemy Xanthus, 2016 Breadwinner Lolo, 2018 Moots VaMoots RSL, 2019 Chapter2 Tere Disc, 2020 Chapter2 Ao Limited Edition

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
I'll be down for the 4k.
Great Ex, I'll be there helping out all weekend
Old 07-18-12, 08:34 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Yesterday, I worked out in the gym in the afternoon (core / back) and did some hill work on Kings Mountain getting ready for the Mount Diablo 10K ITT on Saturday. My climbing legs are coming back but I did do the climbs at higher cadence. My power numbers were solid.
Old 07-18-12, 09:23 AM
VanceMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VanceMac
But yesterday was a disaster... The group ended up with 100/11k, but I limped home with half that.

I suppose it could be that I'm overdue for a rest week, or just a bad day, or whatever. But it was discouraging.
Took Sun-Mon off, then skipped the usual Tue workout. Can 3 days count as a rest week?
Old 07-18-12, 11:45 PM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
We rode the tandem and had some fun...not like the TT we did a couple weeks ago.

So does this go in the Tandem Forum or here?

Color me confused.

We're old. We ride and race a tandem bike. We also ride & race our half bikes. Not sure where we fit.

Nevermind; we don't fit anywhere...guess we'll figure it out.
Old 07-19-12, 12:54 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Rider
We're old. We ride and race a tandem bike. We also ride & race our half bikes. Not sure where we fit.

Or, you could take the view that you are lucky enough to fit in lots of different places. I'm over 50. I train, I race. I ride road bikes. I ride a fixed gear. I tour. I used to commute. I'm big. I do my own wrenching. I follow pro cycling. As a result I post in quite a lot of forums. It doesn't seem to be a problem.

Last edited by chasm54; 07-19-12 at 01:03 AM.
Old 07-19-12, 09:37 AM
VanceMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took Sun-Mon off, then skipped the usual Tue workout. Can 3 days count as a rest week?
Answer: no. Went for a short MTB ride yesterday... had no power. Weird after a nice month of feeling strong. Maybe Roger can revitalize me tonight.

Still, even a bad day on the bike is a good day:

Old 07-19-12, 09:44 AM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Answer: no. Went for a short MTB ride yesterday... had no power. Weird after a nice month of feeling strong. Maybe Roger can revitalize me tonight.
I usually feel weak on the first ride after a rest, especially if it isn't long enough to get me back in the groove. But the next ride? That's a different story.

Nice view!
Old 07-19-12, 10:12 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
I usually feel weak on the first ride after a rest...
Me, too. Anyone know the physiological reason for this? It seems common, if not universal.
Old 07-19-12, 11:49 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Originally Posted by Red Rider
We rode the tandem and had some fun...not like the TT we did a couple weeks ago.

So does this go in the Tandem Forum or here?

Color me confused.

I won the tandem state TT this year.

Tandems are allowed, as long as you race them.
Old 07-19-12, 01:10 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Still, even a bad day on the bike is a good day:

I came off of an easy day, rest day, easy day and then a hard day. The hard day felt crappy. It takes me a couple of sessions to get back up to speed. I do not have the hey I feel great after a rest period. That is not to say that I do not need it or that I benefit.

Also, I assume that is Mountaingatc Country Club. I used to golf and belong to the club and I lived on the bluff on the right on a Promontory Road. It was definitely the best house and view I have had.
Old 07-19-12, 01:13 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Finished a track workout. I confirmed that a peak is not a plateau. My power was good for 1 Kilo and then turned to crap. Also, the Planet X wheels suck compared to the Fast Forward wheels. I was substantially slower by a couple of miles per hour for about the same power. It may have been atmospheric conditions but....
Old 07-19-12, 01:24 PM
VanceMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, I assume that is Mountaingatc Country Club. I used to golf and belong to the club and I lived on the bluff on the right on a Promontory Road. It was definitely the best house and view I have had.
Correct. Great neighborhood!
Old 07-19-12, 02:15 PM
Cleave
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Finished a track workout. I confirmed that a peak is not a plateau. My power was good for 1 Kilo and then turned to crap. Also, the Planet X wheels suck compared to the Fast Forward wheels. I was substantially slower by a couple of miles per hour for about the same power. It may have been atmospheric conditions but....
Hi, between you and Racer Ex, I'll save a lot of money on equipment choices. Maybe you two should start a thread comparing equipment based on power and speed.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 07-19-12, 02:44 PM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cleave
Hi, between you and Racer Ex, I'll save a lot of money on equipment choices. Maybe you two should start a thread comparing equipment based on power and speed.
Just don't forget to use Internet speeds.
Old 07-19-12, 02:46 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by AzTallRider
Just don't forget to use Internet speeds.
I downloaded the firmware for my Garmin that converts actual power and speed to Internet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.