Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New Shimano Tiagra front trigger shifter jammed

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

New Shimano Tiagra front trigger shifter jammed

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-18, 10:26 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,312 Posts
Originally Posted by Skankingbiker
Well, I thank you for your assistance kind sir. The remainder of the posters did nothing but insult me and make irrelevant judgment and assumptions about my purchasing habits. I simply do not understand why it matters where I bought the component/what bike it was included upon/ or why I chose to purchase a bike online. I also do not understand why multiple posters insisted that Shimano does not make a tiagra trigger shifter.

The cable was jammed in the mechanism and your response helped me un-jam it.

Again, thank you for your response.
To those of us who built a life in the LBS trenches and have gone to bat for dozens of customers (as in calling in a card, so to speak) over 45 years to hear that you don't understand why where you purchased your parts from is sad. Why? Because if you should have found out that your shifter was not right you would want a resolution that favored you (free replacement). If the relationship you have with your parts supplier is only based on easy/low cost availability then the warranty obligations should also be the same. What's easiest/lowest cost for the part source is what you might get, not what's always best for you.

In the case here if a shop had sold the shifter and had the chance to address the OP's challenges with it's set up that shop would have likely solved the problem with little drama. Which is what the world needs more of, less drama. Andy
Old 08-05-18, 10:31 PM
Skankingbiker

Bikes: AllCity Nature Boy, On-one Pompino) , Fuji Roubaix road bike, Niner EMD, Voodoo Hoodoo MTB, Surly Pugsley/Krampug, Performer Midracer Custom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Because if you should have found out that your shifter was not right you would want a resolution that favored you (free replacement). If the relationship you have with your parts supplier is only based on easy/low cost availability then the warranty obligations should also be the same. What's easiest/lowest cost for the part source is what you might get, not what's always best for you.
I guess there was a miscommunication then because I just wanted to know how to fix it myself.
Old 08-06-18, 03:03 AM
SimonRider

Bikes: Azimut

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a tiagra 10 speed shift set and the front shifter is the problem. It was working fine until I needed to cut down some of the shift housing. The shift set came as part of a bike I purchased online and needed to assemble myself. I am looking for some suggestions as to what may be wrong with it and if there is any way to fix it. literally the only thing I did was to disconnect the cable from the front derailleur trim some of the housing and then reconnected the cable to the frontier elier
Old 08-06-18, 06:23 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by SimonRider
It's a tiagra 10 speed shift set and the front shifter is the problem. It was working fine until I needed to cut down some of the shift housing. The shift set came as part of a bike I purchased online and needed to assemble myself. I am looking for some suggestions as to what may be wrong with it and if there is any way to fix it. literally the only thing I did was to disconnect the cable from the front derailleur trim some of the housing and then reconnected the cable to the frontier elier
Did you shift the release lever to the smallest chainring position before reconnecting the cable? Did you route the cable OVER the little tab at the clamping bolt?
Old 08-06-18, 09:00 AM
Skankingbiker

Bikes: AllCity Nature Boy, On-one Pompino) , Fuji Roubaix road bike, Niner EMD, Voodoo Hoodoo MTB, Surly Pugsley/Krampug, Performer Midracer Custom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Did you shift the release lever to the smallest chainring position before reconnecting the cable? Did you route the cable OVER the little tab at the clamping bolt?
the cable was clamped the cable was clamped properly. I did forget to shift the shifter all the way down before reconnecting. However, the problem occurred even with the cable unattached. Anson, the shifter would not mechanically drop-down to the lower positions. likely what happened is that because I forgot to downshift before reconnecting the cable must have jammed in the shifter. I was able to remove the Jam by repeatedly downshifting and tugging on the cable until it released. the shifter works fine now
Old 08-08-18, 07:10 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Being the charged person (accused of snarkiness) I figure I'm the one with the greatest skin in this thread. So let me reply.

I thank those who understood where I was posting from. The lack of info, conflicting info in the beginning was frustrating for me. I am a service pro...If I read the OP correctly my suggestion of the cable not seated in the lever is the correct problem. So the first reply to the OP, the snarkily done one by me turns out to also be the one that gave the right advice. Your welcome.

What can others take away here? .... Andy
Too lazy to check Shimano's line-up. Demanded the OP change the title based on not knowing what you're talking about (not "your", BTW). Despite your claims otherwise, you didn't ever come up with the correct solution. And finally, too proud to admit your laziness made you clueless, lol. That's the correct take away....