Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Old 04-23-18, 07:51 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
10 hours and 500 TSS this week. And my foot looks more foot like than Zeppelin. Back hanging in there. Cha cha cha...
Old 04-23-18, 07:53 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Great to hear, Ex!

Demain, on roule!
Old 04-24-18, 08:55 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
Great to hear, Ex!
Woot!!!!

Loving it!!

(No wonder he hasn't answered my texts... )
Old 04-25-18, 07:34 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

I did a session at Hellyer yesterday. Coach had me on light gearing and instructions to keep things at 90% (or less). I was just fine in the 30 lap warmup, hung with the group all the way, even in the last lap sprint. I did notice that I was staying off of wheels a bit further than customary for me, and I wasn't working super hard to close gaps. A little shell shocked, maybe?

I did two seated flying 200 meter sprints, as well as a fifteen minute ride in the pace range. In the sprints, I felt like the bike was riding me, not the other way around. The ribs felt okay, and my breathing was normal.

The one negative that really bothered me was the amount of weight I have gained in the last three weeks. Some was due to soft tissue damage and swelling, and that's mostly gone. I'm still quite a bit above where I should be, and it is noticeable and embarrassing. @gsteinb, I hear you about the bloat!
Old 04-28-18, 06:51 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Finding some gains in higher torque workouts the last month or so. A weekly helping of 3x20 SS at 70 to 80 rpm on the TT Bike. Did some race pace today and took almost 30s out of my test loop PR, pretty big jump for a 17m loop.
Old 04-29-18, 08:42 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

I did a set of intervals yesterday that were close to normal in feel and in endurance. My ribs still hurt, but nothing like they did. They do hinder off the saddle efforts, still, but I am only at the four week mark. I'm close to back on track, and I'm confident I can regain fitness and then strength quickly.
Old 05-03-18, 08:41 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Me and my big mouth. Got them all riled up on the Track forum. Sometimes, you just have to poke that tiger. I'm still staying off the 33.

Hellyer session on Tuesday was okay. My pedal stroke is uneven, pretty wonky. I have a L/R balance of 42 to 58%. So, I was a bit wobbly. I can come OTS, now, which is good.

I went to the gym yesterday. I was able to do all of the exercises. Coach said to concentrate on form, not weight, and keep things at 80 to 85%/ I did. Nothing hurt. There was discomfort, but I wouldn't term it as any worse than that. When I rolled out on the foam roller, I was able to quite clearly feel the extent of the swelling and injury to my ribs, and it's essentially the whole left side of my rib cage. Rolling out felt good, though, and today I'm feeling chipper!

Off to Hellyer in a few minutes to ride with Coach. I haven't seen him in some time, and it's gonna be great!
Old 05-04-18, 08:43 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Rode with Coach at Hellyer yesterday. Goodness, that was great! He's looking really good, riding pretty well, too. I saw the "semi crunched van" and it looked surprisingly good, too! I rode pretty well, things are starting to wake up.

LAVRA next weekend....
Old 06-08-18, 05:43 PM
tobukog

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Masters Nationals Prep

CTL of 84. To misquote, or paraphrase Donald Rumsfeld, "You go to war with the army you have, not the army you want."

3 weeks to go, 2nd at Winston Salem -- maybe could have won it, but realistically, just out classed by an Aussie guy. Made the final selection in the kids race, but cramped with 1 to go.

2 weeks to go, won a race off the front (masters) and 2nd in the kids race.

I've normally done a 10-14 day taper, but I'm trying 7 days this year since I'm so undertrained. Just have to make it through 120k, not cramp, and just get a little luck. In my age category, the main player is going to be Peet's from Norcal. They have a huge squad, with big hitters who can just roll it, and the race will be totally out of control if more than 1 of them make a go of it. If it all comes back together, Myerson is a big favorite. If Laberge is fit, he could also finish it off for Peet's--he's as quick or quicker than any Norcal pro.

Best of luck to all going to Augusta. Looks like it will be predictably hot -- 90 degrees + !

Last edited by tobukog; 06-08-18 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-14-18, 10:20 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Big week last week. I rode at Hellyer last Tuesday, some hard efforts and a match sprint duel against my friend Barbara. Wednesday I was in the gym for three sets of weight reps. Thursday was another Hellyer session where Barbara and I did two practice team sprints, working on the start and the exchange. Friday I drove to Carson to ride and race at VELO Sports Center over the weekend. Saturday I rode with @Racer Ex, doing some tough stuff - 2 X 150 Meter full effort slow roll starts, then 2 X 500 Meter full efforts. Sunday I raced a LAVRA TT event, doing the Flying 200 and a 500 Meter TT. I p/b'ed the 200 (there is plenty of room for improvement, though), and not so much on the 500, but Coach and I were gathering data in that effort. Monday I raced at VSC again, this time LAVRA Sprints, where I was with my Tribe and did three match sprint duels (loosing all three). Tuesday I drove home. Wednesday I met @shovelhd in San Jose and we did a ride together. Today Barbara and I rode together for the last time until Masters Track Nats in T-Town, doing 3 X 200 meter "simulated" flying 200's.

In three weeks I go to Trexlertown, PA. Barbara leaves Saturday, she's driving.

It's getting real again!
Old 06-15-18, 06:50 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Good luck @tobukog

Wow @sarals, that’s a lotta TSS... enjoy the run up to Nats. Are you going to be able to work in any Senior Game qualifying events somewhere? The TTs are short like track races... Would be fun to get a group together to go to Albuquerque... Right?
Old 06-15-18, 06:57 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
After my Senior Games races last week, I took a day off then headed up to the mountains for a few days of mtb bike. Two days to recover from that and then back at it on the TT bike. New position, which is the same arm width but 1 cm lower. That’s 2 cm lower over the past ~4 months.

Thought it would feel UGH but it felt no different. Relatively short intervals though, so we shall see...

Wed was 2 x 5 @115%, 1 x 20 at threshold and some tempo riding in position. Yesterday was some big gear work and a little more tempo riding. Rest day today. Mtb tomorrow and then a wee workout before some volunteer work at a crit.

Only 3 weeks til our Utah trip, same timeframe as track Nationals.
Old 06-15-18, 10:58 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by Heathpack
Good luck @tobukog

Wow @sarals, that’s a lotta TSS... enjoy the run up to Nats. Are you going to be able to work in any Senior Game qualifying events somewhere? The TTs are short like track races... Would be fun to get a group together to go to Albuquerque... Right?
No question that would be fun! I'll have to see if I can do any of the remaining qualifying events this year. I think there's one in the fall. I do have a little race I want to do in October, what, Worlds? Hopefully there won't be a conflict!
Old 08-01-18, 07:36 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Seeing some positive gains out of a 6 week focus on strength (standing intervals, high torque stuff seated) a little more rest, and a long ride once a week. For much of the year I've felt like I had 200W legs and 300W lungs so decided to change things up a bit.

PR'ed my test loop Saturday in a not too favorable wind (at +10W over my best NP). Last TT of the season this Sunday.
Old 08-04-18, 09:38 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

I had the Perfect Storm of work fatigue, jet lag, and Natz bounce converge early in the past week, which served to knock me down a notch. Lesson - don't post, ever, about such things on Facebook. Two of my girlfriends gave me the what for at Hellyer on Thursday about over training and digging holes I can't get out of. I started it, so I had to take it! The fatigue wasn't entirely physical, at my age, mental fatigue is pervasive and probably more influential on my performance than muscular fatigue. The thing is, it's easier to recover from. Some good nights of sleep and a few naps, and I'm rejuvenated.

So, I'm going to race in the crit tomorrow after all. I entered it more than a month ago. I'm doing it to get some mass start chops for the District Crit next month. And to see some of teammates, whom I haven't seen in literally months.

So. Keep your mouth shut, Sara.
Old 08-05-18, 12:24 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
So. Keep your mouth shut, Sara.
Yeah, like that's really gonna happen.

Demain, on roule!
Old 08-12-18, 08:45 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by revchuck
Yeah, like that's really gonna happen.
Moi??
Old 08-12-18, 08:51 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Coach and Mrs Ex graciously hosted me in their home for a few days last week. It was a great training block, eating block, and Mohita block Ex spent an entire day with my Dixie, working on details. Wheels, bottom bracket, my fit on it, aerobars. Hardly anything went unadjusted! We did some great riding, and I upped my sprint game just a bit more. I did overheat badly on a ride we tried to do in the little town of Fernley, it was 103 degrees (but it wasn't smoky, unlike Reno and surrounds). From Ex's abode, I went to Hellyer to check the adjustments we made to the bike. Fantastic! Friday morning I did a gym workout, and then yesterday I did some "break down" speed endurance intervals. Quite a week!

Masters Track Districts are in two weeks, the District Crit is in three weeks, and then Worlds....seven weeks.
Old 08-13-18, 11:53 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
another occasion for a like button
Old 08-15-18, 10:22 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
another occasion for a like button
Agreed! Both on what sounds like a great weekend and doubly for Mr and Mrs Ex! They had no qualms hosting me in LA when I came to the States for a 3 week USA peak bagging trip back in 2013... Especially when they didn't know me from a bar of soap. They only knew me as some guy from the forum who was coming over to the States. Both are incredibly kind and generous people!
Old 08-15-18, 10:22 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by Dalai
Agreed! Both on what sounds like a great weekend and doubly for Mr and Mrs Ex! They had no qualms hosting me in LA when I came to the States for a 3 week USA peak bagging trip back in 2013... Especially when they didn't know me from a bar of soap. They only knew me as some guy from the forum who was coming over to the States. Both are incredibly kind and generous people!
Indeed they are! Of the FINEST sort! I'm SO very lucky to have them as friends, and Ex as my coach.