Old 09-02-18, 01:26 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
San Pedro to Long Beach

Going to be in San Pedro for a few days, don't know the area (I know LA, but not this far south).

Is Pedro to Long Beach a decent ride? Looking at a map: North Harbor Drive -> John S. Gibson Blvd. -> W. Harry Bridges -> Alameda St. -> E. Anaheim - is that a decent bike route?
Old 09-02-18, 02:08 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
no. you'll be better off heading north/northwest and hitting palos verdes peninsula of which san pedro makes up the southern part.
from the pvp, you can then link up with the marvin braude bike path that goes from redondo beach to santa monica.

if you're interested in riding long beach area, you're probably better off doing the 15 min drive to the long beach area, then hooking up with the oceanfront bike path
there. it's pretty wide and not as heavily trafficked as the redondo to santa monica one. it's a relatively simple matter to connect with the long beach
oceanfront bike path with the one that runs through huntington beach all the way to newport beach.

you can ride from san pedro to long beach but cyclists have to skirt los angeles harbor to the north by riding down anaheim st. it's not the best street. lots of debris, blah pavement,
distractions, traffic, big trucks and whatnot. street varies from supertight to wide. it would be approx a 40 min to the edge of long beach from san pedro (depending on exactly where in
san pedro). done it and would do it again but was riding from pvp to the long beach/la river bike path and then to dtown la. west side of san pedro is fairly hilly but is pretty over by the fort
mac arthur/korean bell/point fermin area.
Old 09-02-18, 02:10 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Do you need to get to Long Beach, or are looking to just ride around. If the latter, head the other direction and ride around Palos Verdes, seriously beautiful. The other direction around the harbor and thru Wilminton to LB is all commercial port, lots of trucks, roads beat up and not the best parts of town.
Old 09-02-18, 03:25 PM
tyrion

Originally Posted by jimincalif
Do you need to get to Long Beach, or are looking to just ride around. If the latter, head the other direction and ride around Palos Verdes, seriously beautiful. The other direction around the harbor and thru Wilminton to LB is all commercial port, lots of trucks, roads beat up and not the best parts of town.
I'm definitely heading north for at least one ride. Manhattan/Hermosa is where I grew up, so I know the South Bay well.

But I was thinking of riding south too. I have a thing about shipyards and harbors, even the ugly commercial ones. I've driven past that area hundreds of times on the 405 but never seen it up close.
Old 09-02-18, 03:49 PM
tyrion

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
it would be approx a 40 min to the edge of long beach from san pedro
Thanks, I think I'm going to try it. I mainly want to see that area up close, even if it's ugly. I will be going north too - that area I know.
Old 09-02-18, 04:20 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
I'm definitely heading north for at least one ride. Manhattan/Hermosa is where I grew up, so I know the South Bay well.

But I was thinking of riding south too. I have a thing about shipyards and harbors, even the ugly commercial ones. I've driven past that area hundreds of times on the 405 but never seen it up close.
Got it, you could probably spend a good part of the day exploring the area and see a lot. Pico Ave, Pier B, Henry Ford Ave, Anchorage Rd in Wilmington. I used to haul my boat out at Cabrillo Boat Shop on Pier C st. Off the Cerrritos Channel. Lots to see if you're adventurous. I never really tried to evaluate the area for riding. If I was going to do it I'd take my gravel bike with the 38mm tires. Also in San Pedro you can ride to the USS Iowa and Lane Victory ships and the Los Angeles Maritime museum. Have fun.
Old 09-02-18, 06:28 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
Make sure you carry a spare tube and patch kit. Those streets/area are filled full of debris. If you're planning on doing this on a weekday, there will be a lot of container trucks on the road too. I'm not trying to discourage you, just keep your eyes open.
Old 09-03-18, 09:58 AM
tyrion

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Make sure you carry a spare tube and patch kit. Those streets/area are filled full of debris. If you're planning on doing this on a weekday, there will be a lot of container trucks on the road too. I'm not trying to discourage you, just keep your eyes open.
Thanks. I don't mind rough roads, but the trucks squeeze the bike lane too much I'll bail out and find another route.
Old 09-05-18, 11:25 PM
Unapomer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Going to be in San Pedro for a few days, don't know the area (I know LA, but not this far south).

Is Pedro to Long Beach a decent ride? Looking at a map: North Harbor Drive -> John S. Gibson Blvd. -> W. Harry Bridges -> Alameda St. -> E. Anaheim - is that a decent bike route?
No, it's not a decent bike route, except early on Sunday mornings when there is little traffic. Some of the streets on your route have no bike lanes and Mon thru Sat are congested with trucks hauling containers. Those drivers get paid by the trip and can be very aggresive and the volume of truck traffic is staggering.
I live in San Pedro and ride every day, riding to LB is not for the faint of heart!
To get to LB from SP, I recommend taking the Dash San Pedro commuter bus, it runs seven days a week every 30 minutes and has a bike rack on the front for two or three bikes (depending on the bus) (www.ladottransit.com) From LB it's a safe ride to as far south as Newport Beach using the bike path from Sunset Beach all the way to Newport.
Once you are in LB you also have the options of the LA or San Gabriel river trails.
Ride safe and ride often...............
I suggest morning rides as the wind can get pretty strong in the afternoons.
Old 02-10-19, 09:13 PM
Ninetimes

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Thanks for the tips...
Old 02-12-19, 06:46 PM
Genaro

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I used to ride from Lomita to Seal Beach three times a week back in the late 90's, straight shot through PCH, but wouldn't do it now as I was young(er) and fearless. I'm much more careful and selective with my routes. I think that if you absolutely must, Sepulveda or Carson are much safer options but put you further north
Old 02-12-19, 06:49 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by Genaro
I used to ride from Lomita to Seal Beach three times a week back in the late 90's, straight shot through PCH, but wouldn't do it now as I was young(er) and fearless. I'm much more careful and selective with my routes. I think that if you absolutely must, Sepulveda or Carson are much safer options but put you further north
truth. they are really far north.