Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

How do you know how big of tire is TOO big for your bike?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

How do you know how big of tire is TOO big for your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-18, 08:22 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Yeah, because the common practice of inflating the tire before mounting the wheel back on the bike is soooo stupid.
Old 10-11-18, 08:41 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 2,170 Times in 1,462 Posts
Guys,

Lets keep responses helpful and informative. There’s no need for insults. Thanks

Stan
Old 10-11-18, 09:47 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
Yeah, because the common practice of inflating the tire before mounting the wheel back on the bike is soooo stupid.
well ‘stupid’ is your word, not mine and there’s nothing wrong with doing that, if your inflated tires clear your brakes. Also I didn’t chastise him, I simply poked fun. But let’s just be real here. If you decide you want to run larger tires, but want to make no modifications to either your equipment or your habits, then you created an unnecessary hardship for yourself, which frankly, has nothing to do with the size of your tires. Buying 28’s without thinking it through, then going back down to 25’s and offering that up as some kind of warning about tire size, when it was nothing more than a lack of forethought, is both funny and somewhat depressing to read. This is literally not an actual issue. You could change your brakes, you could install a breakaway cable disconnector, or simply enough, don’t inflate your tire before installing the wheel. Cautioning others to think ahead, when you clearly didn’t, is absurd.
Old 10-11-18, 09:51 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Ignore list is a cool function.
Old 10-12-18, 06:38 AM
rjmcgovern
RobbieMcG

Bikes: Pinarello, Wabi, Purefix, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I agree, ignore is a valuable function. Listening to the arm chair experts criticize other forum members is tiring. Clearly we aren't capable of achieving their exalted perfection.
Old 10-16-18, 01:50 AM
charlesVDP

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys,

I recently purchased this late 80's Peugeot track frame which I loved because of the paint-scheme and decals. My purpose was to put some modern components on it and have it track ready for this winter.

I bought a set of Miche Pistards and thought Vittoria Corsa 25mm would be a good choice but while putting the wheels in the frame I discovered it didn't fit

In the front the tyre is really too high for the fork, it's the original track fork btw, no drillings for brake callipers In the back I can't put the wheel completely in the dropouts but that's no issue as I already have to put it a little bit backwards to take the chain slack away.

So as I said, the tyres here are Vittoria Corsa Control 25mm. I'm now looking at some Veloflex Record tyres 22mm that are designed for track use, but do you think these will be lower and thus fit in my front fork?

Thanks in advance!

ps: I'm not able to post pictures because I don't have 10 posts yet
Old 10-16-18, 07:31 AM
phobus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
Upload your pictures to imgur, then post the URL here without the https:// prefix.

In general, yes, a smaller sized tire should be both narrower and shorter. I'd guess those 22mm tires would have as good a chance of fitting as anything.
Old 10-25-18, 12:17 AM
charlesVDP

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phobus
Upload your pictures to, then post the URL here without the ...

In general, yes, a smaller sized tire should be both narrower and shorter. I'd guess those 22mm tires would have as good a chance of fitting as anything.
Thanks, but the imgur way still didn't work, I still had the error message saying I had to have at least 10 posts.

Anyway, I found the solution to my problem. Instead of ordering the Veloflex Record 22mm, I went for some Continental Supersonic 20mm to be sure they are the smallest. It's a huge difference in tire height ( and of course width too ) in comparison to the 25mm Vittoria Corsa tires. I now have about 5mm clearance between the tire and the fork, which is plenty.

Time to hit the track
Old 10-25-18, 02:30 PM
Butthash
Gold Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just changed my fork and front tire, Now I have a folding 30mm tire on a 27" fork. Now I have clearance(up front) for much tires if need be.
Folding tires are fine.
It depends on how wide your fork or rear of your bike are for the tire clearance. Just check the specs of your bike online if you can findnthem, they.may say, or just try to put bigger tires on to see how it works.
If you have barely any, take mud and dirt into account for the frame's clearance. *f there is just a smidge of space, mayhe fo against bigger tires. If you have enough clearance to fit your pinky (even something smaller), you have room for.bigger tires.
Hope this was at.least of some help.