Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

SOMA Double Cross Disc 2017?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-18, 10:34 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
SOMA Double Cross Disc 2017?

So I've been scouting for a frameset purchase, and the SOMA Double Cross Disc 2017 has risen to the top of the heap. What other framesets (do not suggest a complete bike) offer the following characteristics/features?
  • Fork with braze-ons and eyelets
  • Chain-stay disk-brake mount
  • Clearance for at least 700x45c meat
  • 135mm rear OLD
  • Stand-over no taller than 30"
  • Wheelbase no longer than 101cm
  • QR, no thru-axles
  • No more than $650 for frame & fork
  • Simple vertical drop-outs. Don't want (to pay for) Swiss-army knife, do-it-all drop-outs or frame opening for belt drive.
What else is out there than can knock out the SOMA from the top spot??
Old 07-07-18, 02:28 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
Soma Fog Cutter is up to 42mm but I understand if that’s too small.

Otherwise I think the only competition is gonna be from All-City but I don’t know their models well enough to say a specific one.

But really the Double Cross Disc is one of the best production steel frames so there’s no much else that’s better IMO.
Old 07-07-18, 04:19 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
$595 including fork:

Monster Cross Frame Tech - Black Mountain Cycles

$695 if you want Disc:

MCD Frames - Black Mountain Cycles

One of your "requirements", QR and not Thru-Axle is a bit odd.
Disc brakes require a solid, stiff, and repeatable placement of the wheel. QR is often not enough to align the disc exactly the same, every time, so it does not drag.

Also, Mike Varney is an awesome guy. Call him or drop him an email and he gets back to you fast.

Last edited by rgconner; 07-07-18 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-07-18, 06:07 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Soma Fog Cutter is up to 42mm but I understand if that’s too small.

Otherwise I think the only competition is gonna be from All-City but I don’t know their models well enough to say a specific one.

But really the Double Cross Disc is one of the best production steel frames so there’s no much else that’s better IMO.
Yeah, the Fog Cutter also popped up on the radar. Sweet frame. Too bad it doesn't take meatier meat. I can always rationalize getting a Fog Cutter and then another bike that takes plus or even fat tires, right?

All All-city bikes that take 40mm plus tires are thru-axle so that's a no-go for I've got the wheels for said frame already, and they are QR.
Old 07-07-18, 06:09 PM
Abu Mahendra

Originally Posted by rgconner
$595 including fork:

Monster Cross Frame Tech - Black Mountain Cycles

$695 if you want Disc:

MCD Frames - Black Mountain Cycles

One of your "requirements", QR and not Thru-Axle is a bit odd.
Disc brakes require a solid, stiff, and repeatable placement of the wheel. QR is often not enough to align the disc exactly the same, every time, so it does not drag.

Also, Mike Varney is an awesome guy. Call him or drop him an email and he gets back to you fast.
Yeah, i hear ya. The issue is that I've got QR wheels built already...
Old 11-05-18, 05:40 AM
Abu Mahendra

Any others?
Old 11-05-18, 04:47 PM
DanBell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Not to derail this thread, but has this been your experience? Because I've been on several different disc/QR equipped bikes in the last ten years or so and have had this issue less than five times I bet. I've seen other people mention this before but it's never been an issue for me. Maybe a frame by frame problem?
Old 11-05-18, 04:52 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Rodriguez Custom , Made To Measure, in Seattle..
Old 11-05-18, 05:57 PM
austex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Rodriguez Custom , Made To Measure, in Seattle..
Yeah, but not even close on the OP's price constraint.
Old 11-05-18, 06:23 PM
Abu Mahendra

Originally Posted by austex
Yeah, but not even close on the OP's price constraint.
par for the course. People like to portray themselves as savvy shoppers, sensible consumers, value connoiseurs, but they then go on to trumpet the likes of Bike Friday, Rohloff, Rodríguez, etc.
Old 11-05-18, 07:34 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by DanBell
Not to derail this thread, but has this been your experience? Because I've been on several different disc/QR equipped bikes in the last ten years or so and have had this issue less than five times I bet. I've seen other people mention this before but it's never been an issue for me. Maybe a frame by frame problem?
QR is fine for disc brakes. The issue is either poorly faced/installed calipers or lack of understanding that repeatable rotor placement requires repeatable locknut/dropout relationship. This needs to be done for thru axles as well as there is no independent design elements to TA that cause centering/repeat-ability. The axle/dropout alignment required to slide in the axle of TA is more limited which is often perceived as designed for centering, but it's not.
Old 11-06-18, 08:53 AM
RocThrower

Bikes: Space Horse Disc, Domane SL5 Disc

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
I think the quality of dropouts on the fork/frame can also influence the QR-disc alignment issues. My first disc brake bike was an alloy GT Grade, and I had constant alignment issues, although the front was much worse than the rear. I even marked the locknuts to make sure I was putting the wheels back in the drop out the same way each time. The next bike I owned was a Macho Man Disc, and currently a Space Horse Disc, and neither of those bikes had any alignment issues, even with the same wheelset I was running on the GT Grade.

To try to stay on topic, part of my decision to buy the Space Horse Disc and purchase another QR disc frame was due to the positive experiences I had with the Macho Man. I am absolutely loving this bike after almost a year of ownership, and still get excited every time I take it out for a ride. It ticks almost all of the OP's boxes as well.
Old 11-06-18, 12:55 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Surly Midnight Special
Old 11-06-18, 04:22 PM
Abu Mahendra

Originally Posted by Elvo
Surly Midnight Special
Nope, TAs knock it out of cobsideration.
Old 11-07-18, 09:53 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DanBell
That is from two sources: Informal information gathered from owners of disc equipped bikes in my cycling club and issues I have seen/heard.

Second, from Mike Varley, owner of Black Mountain Bikes and a former bike designer for Masi and Haro. It is his experience as well from trying to retrofit or fix bikes equipped with Disc and QRs that they were generally speaking "touchy" about placement and if the fork was not designed stiff enough they would flex under heavy braking conditions. The Thru Axle design fixes those issues as far as he was concerned and is the "right" way to do it.

It is one man's opinion, to be fair, but I bought a bike based on his considerable experience.
Old 11-07-18, 05:21 PM
DanBell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
That is from two sources: Informal information gathered from owners of disc equipped bikes in my cycling club and issues I have seen/heard.

Second, from Mike Varley, owner of Black Mountain Bikes and a former bike designer for Masi and Haro. It is his experience as well from trying to retrofit or fix bikes equipped with Disc and QRs that they were generally speaking "touchy" about placement and if the fork was not designed stiff enough they would flex under heavy braking conditions. The Thru Axle design fixes those issues as far as he was concerned and is the "right" way to do it.

It is one man's opinion, to be fair, but I bought a bike based on his considerable experience.
Thanks for the response. It's definitely more experience than I have on the subject. As I said it's not been a problem for me, but I really only have my own lack of trouble to base that on.
Old 11-07-18, 05:41 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
If you want to get Double Cross Disc, get it. Very good frame. Never regretted getting mine. I had similar reasons: no unneeded functionality (sliding dropouts, split seatstays etc.) and thinner gauge tubing (Tange Prestige).
Old 11-07-18, 09:54 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
Nope, TAs knock it out of cobsideration.
The midnight special can use QR wheels, it has open ends on the fork and dropouts.