Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Help finding chain ring to crank arm bolt

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-18, 11:09 AM
2wheelcyclone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I just just bought a used fixie and it is missing the bolt that goes from the chain ring into the crank arm. I’ve been searching for a while but can’t find anything. Anyone know where I would get on and I’m assuming there’s some sort of spacer. Thanks
Old 11-13-18, 11:17 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Your friendly local bike shop has chain ring fixing bolts on the shelf.

What is up with that space between the ring & the crank arm? Does the chain ring spin true? I'll bet there is a spacer or spare available referencing the the crank arm manufacturer in your search.

Something like this, maybe?

Last edited by base2; 11-13-18 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-13-18, 11:21 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Remove one of the other bolts to check if there is indeed a spacer. If you don’t have any hex wrenches to do so, then just take the bike to your local bike shop and have them do it. They should have replacement bolts and spacers if needed. I would advise you to simply purchase a new set of bolts, instead of trying to buy just one. Also, I would strongly advise you to not ride your bike while you are missing that bolt. If you are, you are likely doing damage to the chainring that can’t be fixed. A replacement ring will cost you a lot more than a set of bolts.
Old 11-13-18, 01:27 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
It's going to be the equivalent of two spacers, since this crank was made for two chainrings. So you'll have one spacer the thickness of a single chainring (about 3 mm, but let's not guess), and one the thickness of the space between the two (I think that'll be 5 mm).

But that's probably not the best way to go about it. When you spin the crank, does the chain ring spin true? If so, I'd measure the distance between your chain ring and the crank arm, and put together a series of spacers to match that measurement.

I tend to assume the 'bolt' should be the same thread as a standard chainring bolt, so you could probably use one made for an old school triple.
Old 11-13-18, 05:48 PM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
Google “campagnolo chainring bolt” and you will find exactly what you need, less a spacer(due to the placement of the ring).
Old 11-13-18, 09:00 PM
2wheelcyclone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone, I have one ordered now. Thanks for your help.