Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The Helmet Thread 2

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: What Are Your Helmet Wearing Habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
10.40%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
4.80%
I've always worn a helmet
41.60%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
25.20%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
18.00%
Voters: 500. You may not vote on this poll

The Helmet Thread 2

Old 05-24-19, 01:29 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 86az135i View Post

And secondly LOL WUT??? At what point does making someone/something safer does it suggest it's an inherently dangerous thing to do and should not be done.
Think of a situation where in the summertime you'd be free to walk around in whatever garments you chose. But in the winter time you'd have to use a helmet for walking. Would you think walking in the winter was as safe?

Also, isn't it a directly logical chain of thought to think of cycling as dangerous if special safety gear is required? If something is safe, no safety gear is required. If something is unsafe, safety gear is required.
Old 05-24-19, 07:32 AM
86az135i

Bikes: 1996 Cannondale R900, 2016 Trek Boone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio View Post
Think of a situation where in the summertime you'd be free to walk around in whatever garments you chose. But in the winter time you'd have to use a helmet for walking. Would you think walking in the winter was as safe?

Also, isn't it a directly logical chain of thought to think of cycling as dangerous if special safety gear is required? If something is safe, no safety gear is required. If something is unsafe, safety gear is required.
First analogy makes little to no sense.

Second. No itís not logical. There is so much in life thatís dangerous and we mitigate the risks. Is living in a house dangerous? Why would we need permits and build to code? Mitigate risk. Why would I cut hotdogs in very small pieces to a toddler. Are hot dogs considered dangerous? Not really but we mitigate risk. Is all food dangerous? No, but it would be without a lot of the regulations out there. Would you argue eating is unsafe because we have FDA, USDA, state departments, ect. So many things are dangerous but we have mitigated risk.

Biking carries risk. Kids are risky, they have less coordination and arenít fully fully developed. It is responsible to mitigate the risk.

Iím having a really hard time with people arguing against helmets for kids since they cannot logically make choices or comprehend what could happen. But here we are.
Old 05-24-19, 07:43 AM
elcruxio

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
First analogy makes little to no sense.

Second. No itís not logical. There is so much in life thatís dangerous and we mitigate the risks. Is living in a house dangerous? Why would we need permits and build to code? Mitigate risk. Why would I cut hotdogs in very small pieces to a toddler. Are hot dogs considered dangerous? Not really but we mitigate risk. Is all food dangerous? No, but it would be without a lot of the regulations out there. Would you argue eating is unsafe because we have FDA, USDA, state departments, ect. So many things are dangerous but we have mitigated risk.

Biking carries risk. Kids are risky, they have less coordination and arenít fully fully developed. It is responsible to mitigate the risk.

Iím having a really hard time with people arguing against helmets for kids since they cannot logically make choices or comprehend what could happen. But here we are.
I suppose we could go into semantics of the risk of everything. But lets just say in general that the health benefits of active cycling outweigh the negative effects of not wearing a helmet by several times over. This is also true for kids. And it's been shown pretty well that mandatory helmet laws decrease cycling which also then makes cycling less safe since less cyclists leads to more accidents per hour ridden.

As to cycling carrying risk, depending where you live it's lower or on par with walking. So if we're taking the "think of the children" -route, kids should absolutely wear helmets all the time, not just cycling.
Old 05-24-19, 08:20 AM
86az135i

I suppose we could go into semantics of the risk of everything. But lets just say in general that the health benefits of active cycling outweigh the negative effects of not wearing a helmet by several times over. This is also true for kids. And it's been shown pretty well that mandatory helmet laws decrease cycling which also then makes cycling less safe since less cyclists leads to more accidents per hour ridden.

As to cycling carrying risk, depending where you live it's lower or on par with walking. So if we're taking the "think of the children" -route, kids should absolutely wear helmets all the time, not just cycling.
Lol, show me the study about bicycling risk being lower or on par with walking.

I never said anything about mandating. It's parenting common sense.

How does less people cycling make cycling less safe lol. Accidents per hour ridden would be a static measure independent of how many hours ridden nor would a statistic influence the safety of an individual or group.
Old 05-24-19, 08:28 AM
elcruxio

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Lol, show me the study about bicycling risk being lower or on par with walking.
It's there, somewhere in this thread. Read it from the beginning.

How does less people cycling make cycling less safe lol. Accidents per hour ridden would be a static measure independent of how many hours ridden nor would a statistic influence the safety of an individual or group.
If you can't figure this one out I really can't help you. However that too has been discussed extensively in this topic. I suggest you read it from the beginning
Old 05-29-19, 10:38 AM
86az135i

It's there, somewhere in this thread. Read it from the beginning.

If you can't figure this one out I really can't help you. However that too has been discussed extensively in this topic. I suggest you read it from the beginning

My original argument is dealing with kids. I suggest you stay aligned.

And I know you can't help me. Because my statement is correct. And you cannot prove otherwise.
Old 05-29-19, 07:42 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 2511 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
When more people are cycling, it becomes safer because drivers become accustomed to them and adjust their behavior accordingly. Secondly, it tends to encourage cycling infrastructure which also contributes to safety.

For example: https://injuryprevention.bmj.com/con...3/205.abstract
Old 06-02-19, 08:25 PM
mivuj95

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Suck important information in this thread. And very useful studies, great reading!
Old 06-05-19, 04:01 AM
EaOutlaw1969

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I started riding bikes in the early 1970s and I do not even think they had helmets back then. I lost count of the number of crashes I have been in over the years both on Bicycles and motorcycles and I must have been lucky because I never ever bashed my head into anything.
Old 06-16-19, 04:16 PM
xtc14

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello.
I would like to know if there are documented cases of people dying from bike accidents while using fakes/knockoff helmets? I know the China helmet replicas do not have the same stamping of security approvals compared to the real deal, but I'm curious to know if there has been incidents of people dying or sustaining heavy head trauma as result of wearing these fake ones?