Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Helix Update?

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Helix Update?

Old 07-03-19, 12:54 AM
Ultralight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Check out this video review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xscD...ature=youtu.be

Nice capability with a rigid and overbuilt frame.
Old 07-03-19, 03:16 AM
towndock

Bikes: '81 Fuji America, '79 Fuji S12 Ltd, '03 Dahon Helios XL, '09 Giant Defy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We may have different perception on what is the most compelling part of the Helix. For me, it's the fold... the small and elegant fold it pulls off while still having 24" tires. If it were in steel I'd still be impressed. The Helix fold truly is amazing.

The titanium part that wows people is the low price (for a titanium bike) as much as the titanium (and it's weight savings) itself.

The latest report is 80 bikes shipped as of July 2. The earlier report we had (from backers reporting on this forum) was 65 bikes as of June 10. That's 5 bikes a week... 20 a month. That doesn't bode well for anyone with future hopes of ordering one.
Old 07-03-19, 10:21 AM
Ultralight

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The pace will accelerate and there are some already below the delivered number that have traded hands (I know of two). Helix gave a fantastic update a few days ago as to production bottleneck and the process in slowly solving each of the bottle neck. Some people's needs and plans change after 3 years of waiting though the report coming out from owners has been excellent thus far so I know a couple who changed their mind and kept their order.

Last edited by Ultralight; 07-03-19 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-03-19, 11:54 AM
Lalato

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get that folks like the bike for the design, not just the titanium. My point above is also about the idea that you can just switch materials this far into the process and somehow boost production beyond what is being done currently. Even if this project Kickstarted with a cheaper material, the production issues would probably still be there. Perfectionists can't help themselves.
Old 07-07-19, 11:46 PM
Jipe

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moving from titanium to aluminum or steel is a complete redesign of the bike.

For the price, aluminum would provide big savings but the bike will probably be very different I doubt that the folding system can be implemented in aluminum).

Steel cover a lot of different alloy from very cheap to as expensive as titanium. The best steel could be as light as titanium but will probably be as expensive.

Weight is also very important for a folding bike it was one of the big selling feature during the kickstarter campaign.

And we have seen that with the complex design of Helix and its big wheels, even in titanium,Helix is much heavier that announced and that it is already relatively heavy.

If changing to aluminum or steel increase the weight, then weight will become a major drawback for Helix.
Old 07-08-19, 05:59 PM
Batstar

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
Check out this video review:

Nice capability with a rigid and overbuilt frame.
Nice video review. BTW, I have the same helmet! Unfortunately, I'm a ways down on the wait list so until then, I'll enjoy the experience as I vicariously follow along with your rides.