Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Giving up Ti and going back to carbon

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Giving up Ti and going back to carbon

Old 07-17-19, 02:05 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3240 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
He must still be on a trek to find a Trek. I think the problem may be pre purchase upgraditis. You start looking with a budget in mind. but then for a little bit more you can get this or that. And for a little bit more you can get this or that. And so on, and so on.

Same thing happened to me this morning. Yesterday, I noticed a slight drip from one of the plastic faucet shutoff valves in my office bathroom. I got some metal ones(the plastic ones are no longer sold) from Lowes and replaced them. Then I'm thinking if the plastic ones were discontinued, I should replace the old plastic supply lines as well. This morning I got some more supply lines and decided to replace the guts on the faucet. But that's 10 bucks there, I might as well get a new faucet for $20. They have a couple for around $20 that will be fine for a seldom used office faucet. But next thing you know, I'm looking at faucets in the $30-50 range.....to put in an office with only 2 employees. Luckily, I snapped out of it and bought one of the cheapies. I will install it tomorrow morning. Once it's installed, I wonder if I will have buyer's remorse for not going with the latest/greatest/bells and whistles. I guess that happens with every buying decision.

Edit: I see he posted a response as I was typing this.
Old 07-17-19, 02:05 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by MyTi
I put a deposit down. Obviously I could still back out. It all depends on how this thread goes and if there is a compelling argument to keep the Ti with rim brakes.
If you've found a new Madone with Ultegra hydros for $1900, you could flip it for a gain, or at least no loss, if you decided against it.
Old 07-17-19, 02:16 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
This is all some gentle poking fun but seriously basing a bike purchase decision on the outcome of a BF thread is possible the worst idea since that time I hosted a toddler's birthday party at the alligator and dingo farm.
Likes For ksryder:
Old 07-17-19, 02:21 PM
seypat

I put a deposit down. Obviously I could still back out. It all depends on how this thread goes and if there is a compelling argument to keep the Ti with rim brakes.
I'm looking at their website. When are they going to 12 speed? That might be one compelling argument. If it's in the next year or 2, you could wait. When the 12 cogs appear, you could get one of those, or buy one of the 11 speeds at a better price. They will be trying to unload the 11s. That could be a reason to wait. Those are some fugly disc rotors on those bikes. They look like meat cutting blades. That's not going to help enhance the image of discs being safe. That paint scheme needs a little bit of matching color on the rear triangle also. At least the decals are not really visible.

Last edited by seypat; 07-17-19 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-17-19, 04:06 PM
spokes5678

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
vortex

I said tour and classics, the bike in the pic with the two guys has lotto painted on it.
if I'm not mistaken Lotto was and is more of a classics team than tour team, despite winning a couple of tour stages this year.
All the Lotto riders complained about the lack of stiffness in the vortex and they compared it to riding frites.
Obviously this thing I've ridden all this time must be a fake Litespeed.
If my 71 yr. old 5'5'' 135lb body can flex the bb the bike ain't too stiff.
Old 07-17-19, 04:53 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
I vote for getting a disc front fork and keeping the frame standard. The fredlyness of mixed brakes is well deserved, and you can rage on both sides of the disc vs rim threads at your leisure.
Bump to +1 this as the cheapest and easiest option. And if you go the TRP HY/RD route (converting to fully mechanical instead of hybrid hydraulic won't be worth it), you wouldn't even need to change the front brake lever.
Old 07-17-19, 05:29 PM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Of course the real question is do you really “need” to convert to disc brakes.

If you you want to, it’s your choice how you do it but rim brakes are plenty viable on a road bike.

(ducks)
Viable but not as good as disc brakes in wet conditions.
Old 07-17-19, 06:18 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
Seems as if you've settled the disc vs rim, post 132. What color did you get?
Old 07-17-19, 07:34 PM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Seems as if you've settled the disc vs rim, post 132. What color did you get?
I don’t know LBS did call me said they can only hold it for 10 days. I’m going to take my time with this decision. Thinking I might just buy the new bike as a reward for losing a lot of weight recently. I weighed 295 pounds and now weigh 289. So now that I am a little lighter and faster I’m thinking it’s time to find a new set of wings to fly. 😊
Old 07-17-19, 07:56 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Darn, you are over the weight limit. Good thing you were mistaken about having bought it!
Old 07-17-19, 09:00 PM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Darn, you are over the weight limit. Good thing you were mistaken about having bought it!
What are you talking about lol the Madone will support a rider up to 315 pounds.
Old 07-17-19, 09:19 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Yeah, I'm not buying it either. Poidh.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-17-19, 09:41 PM
seypat

I don’t know LBS did call me said they can only hold it for 10 days. I’m going to take my time with this decision. Thinking I might just buy the new bike as a reward for losing a lot of weight recently. I weighed 295 pounds and now weigh 289. So now that I am a little lighter and faster I’m thinking it’s time to find a new set of wings to fly. 😊
Heck, why didn't you tell us about the weight loss in the first place? Everyone needs a nice reward after a weight loss like that. We would have understood the reason for the new steed. No more questioning the purchase now. We can close the thread. Enjoy that new Trek.
Likes For seypat:
Old 07-17-19, 09:41 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I rode rim brakes in the slop here for many years. Discs are for sure better, and I can have nice wheels now. To be honest I prefer disc brakes even when it's dry.

But if I had my dream bike in rim brakes, I'd deal with it.
Old 07-18-19, 02:24 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
I think that the disk brake v rim brake debate has been beat to death. If the OP wants to use carbon wheels with carbon brake tracks, then disks would be better. I like the thru axles on my disk brake gravel bike. On my road bikes, the Campy rim calipers are every bit as powerful feeling (no lab or scientific measurement but just how they feel to me) as my disk brakes. I like their simplicity. Pads last years. Easy to adjust, etc. But again, for carbon wheels, disk brakes are a better way to go, IMHO.
Old 07-18-19, 04:40 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,024 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Heck, why didn't you tell us about the weight loss in the first place? Everyone needs a nice reward after a weight loss like that. We would have understood the reason for the new steed. No more questioning the purchase now. We can close the thread. Enjoy that new Trek.
A reward for losing six pounds?

-Matt
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 07-18-19, 05:03 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

What are you talking about lol the Madone will support a rider up to 315 pounds.
Looks like 275 for rider, bike and cargo. Maybe the specific one you are looking at is different. Post a link?
Old 07-18-19, 05:50 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
This is all some gentle poking fun but seriously basing a bike purchase decision on the outcome of a BF thread is possible the worst idea since that time I hosted a toddler's birthday party at the alligator and dingo farm.
This.
Worse than letting your daughter go camping with Harvey Weinstein.
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 07-18-19, 07:06 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by MattTheHat
A reward for losing six pounds?

-Matt
I was being sarcastic. I know, it was subtle. I was really hoping he made a mistake with his 2nd weight entry. If not, he might be yanking our chains. Now that he has disclosed that info, I'm not going to touch it. Not going there. It could be a bait situation. I'm going to sit back and observe from here on out.

Last edited by seypat; 07-18-19 at 07:12 AM.
Old 07-18-19, 07:11 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,024 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I was being sarcastic. I know, it was subtle. I was really hoping he made a mistake with his 2nd weight entry. If not, he might be yanking our chains.
Maybe the second figure was supposed to be 189. If so, my much needed blessing is hereby granted.

-Matt
Old 07-18-19, 08:00 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
I remember you getting livid when most of the forum called your bike ugly, why didn't you get rid of it then? To be fair, they were not wrong. Now you are depending on the forum for a decision to keep the Ti?
Old 07-18-19, 08:06 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Looks like 275 for rider, bike and cargo. Maybe the specific one you are looking at is different. Post a link?
Of course it's not that bike. The one he's referring to is only $1900.
Old 07-18-19, 09:01 AM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Originally Posted by Fox Farm
I think that the disk brake v rim brake debate has been beat to death. If the OP wants to use carbon wheels with carbon brake tracks, then disks would be better. I like the thru axles on my disk brake gravel bike. On my road bikes, the Campy rim calipers are every bit as powerful feeling (no lab or scientific measurement but just how they feel to me) as my disk brakes. I like their simplicity. Pads last years. Easy to adjust, etc. But again, for carbon wheels, disk brakes are a better way to go, IMHO.

I am using carbon wheels and carbon brake tracks. Even if it had aluminum brake tracks it would still be poor in comparison to hydraulic disc brakes in wet conditions.

I'm going by what my LBS tells me. He told me they have a customer that weighs 330 pounds riding the same madone and it's been holding up fine. He said if anything happens they will warranty that frame no questions asked.

Originally Posted by tagaproject6
I remember you getting livid when most of the forum called your bike ugly, why didn't you get rid of it then? To be fair, they were not wrong. Now you are depending on the forum for a decision to keep the Ti?

Lol I wasn't mad I was more concerned for their mental health as they exhibited questionable behavior. They really love their Chinese carbon rides over there over a classic 6-4 titanium made in America bike? All they do is troll there and it's the Hot R Not thread no one takes those guys seriously because they lack knowledge and taste. The fact they wouldn't believe my bike is 16 pounds is very odd as well even after my bike was weighed on a professional scale at an LBS...and then they want me to buy a luggage scale to prove? They are irrational and lack logic.... Wouldn't be surprised if they don't believe I lost 6 pounds yesterday either. Well gained a pound yesterday so five really(shouldn't have eaten those pop tarts last night). Now they are saying at 290 I can't ride a Madone, but my LBS said I will be fine on the madone as long as I continue to lose weight they will warranty the frame no questions asked.
Old 07-18-19, 09:15 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by growlerdinky
What's wrong with the "full rim brakes" on your Vortex?
Could we go back to this query?

It might be beneficial if the OP would post a picture of his Vortex with a closeup of the rim sidewalls, brake pads and calipers he is using. Not all dual pivot side pulls are created equal. The same with pads, machined sidewalls, and cable housing.

I’m running Dura Ace 7800’s on my titanium Veritas with Mavic Open Pro rims and I think these brake a little better in both wet and dry conditions than the Dura Ace 7700 calipers with Velocity A23 polished rims on my aluminum Flyte SRS3. The little 3mm caliper centering bolt is pretty handy to center the calipers that last little bit. This permits the pads to be brought up very close to the rim sidewalls if your wheels are very true. You said you had all this covered but there are many skeptics here and to push the conversation forward it would be nice to see those Vortex brake closeup pics.
Old 07-18-19, 09:21 AM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Originally Posted by spokes5678
I said tour and classics, the bike in the pic with the two guys has lotto painted on it.
if I'm not mistaken Lotto was and is more of a classics team than tour team, despite winning a couple of tour stages this year.
All the Lotto riders complained about the lack of stiffness in the vortex and they compared it to riding frites.
Obviously this thing I've ridden all this time must be a fake Litespeed.
If my 71 yr. old 5'5'' 135lb body can flex the bb the bike ain't too stiff.
Ok I need to get back to you because you make some interesting statements without backing up with some kind of article or reference. Who did the lotto riders complain to, and was this in an article or did you ride with them? Were you their trainer? Your 71 and flexing the BB in a Vortex? Interesting because I'm heavy and don't feel any flex in my 05 at all. Could be you got a defective frame perhaps, or the 05 model made some improvements as far as stiffness in the BB. But I've rode a motobecane Ti bike and that frame was such a noodle I was yo-yoing up and down with every pedal stroke. I've test ridden a Lynskey 6-4 ti and that one felt great too but had a bit more flex than my vortex. But the motobecane I felt like I was on a pogo stick. You think the Moto is a bargain until you realize it's not. Granted I'm well over 200 and almost 300 and will probably cause most normal frames to flex. The vortex however even when I get up on the pedals there is no flex. I've read some other reviews of 6'0 guys and they don't have that issue with the vortex. Check the welds around your bike, maybe you just got unlucky.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.