Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Police warn cyclists of IPOD usage.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Police warn cyclists of IPOD usage.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-06, 07:19 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
And if you want to take on the risk of not hearing that truck behind you then what do I care? That's right for ME the benefit of music is not worth the risk. At least you got that right.
Old 02-18-06, 07:26 PM
jimmuter
Urban Biker

Bikes: Trek 720 hybrid; 2007 Specialized Tricross Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It really all depends on how you use it. Someone consistently traveling at 20 MPH is going to encounter significantly more wind noise than me going 12 or 13. I could probably listen to music and have the same or less noise than the fast cyclist whose chances of an accident are probably increased too because s/he has less time to react to problems ahead. Some people can use Ipods responsibly. Those who cannot think that nobody can. I don't use headphones because it feels like a hassle to me, but I don't begrudge anyone else using them if they derive enjoyment from them and use them responsibly.
Old 02-18-06, 07:27 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
And if you want to take on the risk of not hearing that truck behind you then what do I care? That's right for ME the benefit of music is not worth the risk. At least you got that right.
So you hear that truck behind you. What are you going to do about it? I bet you just continue riding. If you said "glance behind me", then thats all you will be doing if you do any riding in the city.
As for not hearing with IPOD. I can't hear anything with the wind. Still alive.
As for that article. It's usual BS. It doesn't give any specific details about an accident. Just usual crap that plays on pepole fears and prejudices.
Old 02-18-06, 07:29 PM
Jarery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ what he said
Old 02-18-06, 08:27 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
So you hear that truck behind you. What are you going to do about it?
Ahhhh........ Move to the side of the road? Just a guess.

So you always hear wind even when stopped or moving slowly through intersections?

Go ahead keep plugging up your ears, I just hope you are right and will be able to see that truck.
Old 02-18-06, 08:33 PM
Jarery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take a few minutes, think hard, and figure out whats wrong with your statement.
Old 02-18-06, 10:27 PM
ozbiker
LMCM wannabe

Bikes: Peugot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure is an emotional thread. I think I'd rather take my chances with the traffic than you guys.

The problem is simple. Riding a bike carries an aggregate risk - the sum of all the little seemingly insignificant risks that you take. It's the aggregate risk that matters!!! There are circumstances where I can ride without a helmet and I am at lower risk of injury than in some other, more risky environment. I make this choice when I ride.

The scientific approach is to conduct a study and statistically analyse the results. Normally we try not to kill and maim the test subjects, so we use subjects that are already killed and maimed. From this we may be able to determine the incremental risk associated with each particular action or behaviour. This may lead to helmet laws, lighting laws, etc.

I am perfectly happy to NOT be the crash test dummy in my own ad-hoc experiment. Does using xyz-gizmo add to my risk on the road - well I can try it - if it doesn't I live, if it does then I die!!!

You choose.
Old 02-18-06, 10:33 PM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Bikes: 2008 Blue T16, 2009 Blue RC8, 2012 Blue Norcross CX, 2016 Blue Axino SL, 2016 Scott Scale, Fixie, Fetish Cycles Road Bike (on the trainer)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timmhaan
have you had a hearing test recently? you might actually have limited hearing. i, for one, can hear automobiles coming up behind me a couple thousand feet away even in heavy wind.
Um.... let's say you meant 2000 only, that's over a quarter mile. That's some good hearing. Either way, I ride with an mp3 player almost all the time. I prefer audiobooks on the metric centuries and longer, but less than that I'm jamming to heavy metal and classic rock. On the other hand, I don't crank music in the city streets

If you're riding in the road where traffic is a problem, then stop doing that. If you hit bad road on the non-traffic side of the white line and you need to go around it, I hope you're looking back before you veer into the car's lane.

I figure for those that are stuck on the mortal sin of riding headphones, you might as well turn your car radio off, and drive with your windows down. Then you can hear my music and know you're approaching a cyclist.
Old 02-19-06, 01:59 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Umm maybe you should be riding there in the first place, instead of weaving in and out of traffic? Just a thought.
So you always hear wind even when stopped or moving slowly through intersections?
If it's windy yes. Couldn't resist. If I'm stopped does it really matter if I can hear or not? I'm stopped. If some redneck truck driver wants to run me off the road, nothing I can do about it.
Go ahead keep plugging up your ears, I just hope you are right and will be able to see that truck.
See what truck? I don't have eyes at the back of my head. If it comes from a side road, I will see it way before I will hear it.
Seriously think through some of your statements before posting.
Name one specific cituation where hearing actually helps? Don't just do what that article did, make vague generalized statements that play on people fears.
Old 02-20-06, 02:58 PM
poululla
Great guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been involved in a serious car/bikecrash 4 years ago that nearly took my life. It is a miracle that I am still alive today. I was struck from behind by a drunk driver in a pick up, with a wide trailer towing behind it. I had no chance avoiding this accident, since I am not equipped with rear facing eyes, or for that matter ears. My point you ask? Diminshed hearing through iPOD use, or not, some accidents just are unavoidable sometimes. Even if I could hear something happening behind me on the road, I am still very limited in what I can do about it. I sometimes ride with my iPOD (on cycle paths only) At least here there is very little chance of drunk drivers hitting me.
Old 02-21-06, 08:24 AM
Dewbert
Mettle to the Pedals

Bikes: Giant Cypress hyrbrid, Giant OCR2, Giant OCRc2, Giant Suede (wife's)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Huh? What? Oh....I'm sorry, I didn't hear this thread. Busy jammin' to my mp3 tunes......
Old 02-21-06, 10:05 AM
rockindude24

Bikes: 2009 Felt F95 Team, 2005 North Face Yavapai

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Driving a car in high traffic on the freeway, I listen to hard music. Why? Because it gets my adrenaline pumping and I'm more alert. I have never listened to music while riding a bike so far. I will probably try it, but I like the fact that I can hear a car coming up behind me and able to move to the side of the road to ride. If I had music on, I would have to look behind me quite often to make sure there are no cars coming. Music affects some people differently than others. Some it takes them into their own world, thus will probably be a distraction from riding, others its just something to go along with the ride. I really do not think it is for anyone to say whether or not this is wrong or right. Go by your own experience and comfort level. Remember there are bad drivers and being in the middle of the road when they come around isn't a wise idea.
Old 02-21-06, 11:10 AM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I'm a bit surprised so many riders actually have time to move to the side of the road, or would even want to. That kind of defeats the point of "taking the lane."
Old 02-21-06, 09:41 PM
willtsmith_nwi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryleeryno
By this reasoning, we should all turn our car stereos off as well.

The lesson here is that you should not turn up ANY audio device on ANY vehicle to the point where you cannot hear traffic alerts.
Old 02-21-06, 10:12 PM
CTAC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm using rear-view mirror to *see* what's happening behind me. I cannot think of a situation where hearing is very useful.
Old 02-22-06, 12:56 AM
rockindude24

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would rather get to the side of the road rather than putting my trust in someone driving a car and hoping they know I am "taking the lane."
Old 02-22-06, 10:03 AM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Originally Posted by rockindude24
I would rather get to the side of the road rather than putting my trust in someone driving a car and hoping they know I am "taking the lane."
Well, then I hope you enjoy being crowded by cars and the occasional sideview mirror cracking you in the elbow.
Old 02-22-06, 03:15 PM
rockindude24

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MMACH 5
Well, then I hope you enjoy being crowded by cars and the occasional sideview mirror cracking you in the elbow.
??? So its better to stay in the middle and be run over???
Old 02-22-06, 04:16 PM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Originally Posted by rockindude24
??? So its better to stay in the middle and be run over???
If you will do some research, you'll find that taking the lane is far safer than hiding in the gutters. I used to ride on the sidewalks. I used to ride along the curbs. Both of these options proved themselves to be unsafe. I now take the lane and have fewer issues with motorists. I didn't invent this "style" of riding, nor do I do it for convenience sake. I do it because it is the safest way to share the road with automobiles.

They can see that there is a cyclist taking up their lane. There is not room for them to squeeze by within the same lane. They will have to move over to go around.
Visibility is key. If you ride with no lights or reflectors, then there's probably not a safe way to ride amongst traffic.
Old 03-14-06, 08:01 PM
Mycos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The iPod has nothing to do with it. This is another negligent homicide, compounded by a careless presumption on the part of the victim's friend, and turned into a morass by a sensationalist journalist.

The story has spread like a virus, no doubt to the considerable satisfaction of the journalist. Instead of addressing the dangers of inattentive truck drivers, the police are warning cyclists about the dangers of iPods.

When you see this story pop up - in print, online, wherever - please squash it with the following information:

* Video footage had Patricia stationary on her bicycle alongside the stationary truck with trailer, waiting for a red light to change to green. It was not possible for her not to know of the presence of the truck
* Her direction of travel was assumed to be straight ahead; that of the truck was to turn left
* It appears that once the lights changed, whilst making the left turn, the trailer clipped Patricia's bicycle throwing her under the wheels of the trailer
* Subject to further investigation the police seem to be of the opinion that Patricia could have been out of sight of the truck driver's side view mirror(s) and that he might not known of her presence
*An iPOD was amongst Patricia's effects handed to the family after her death but there was no statement by the police to the effect that she was wearing it at the time of the accident
https://www.smh.com.au/articles/2006/...679557464.html

Thank you.
Old 03-14-06, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Continue your discussions here: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=173617

Thanks!

Koffee

Mod