Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

shade and the umbreela hat

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-08, 01:53 AM
recumelectric
It's easy being green.

Bikes: Trek Beach Cruiser, Sun X-2 AX (bent)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm trying to find a way to create shade over my recumbent. I looked at the canopy that was offered by Sun bicycle, and it seemed too high. The reason I say this is that I have to carry my bike up a half flight of stairs with low clearance. The other night, I busted off my flag, so I already know that tall things will not work for me.

One friend suggested an umbrella hat for shade. It would be low, and have the added advantage of visibility. I keep picturing the hat getting caught up in the wind, and me struggling to save it. But I can order one on the internet for about 3 bucks. Even if it didn't work, it wouldn't be like I was "in the hole."

Any ideas?

Last edited by recumelectric; 07-08-08 at 01:54 AM. Reason: typos
Old 07-08-08, 06:22 AM
Doug5150

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by recumelectric
I'm trying to find a way to create shade over my recumbent. I looked at the canopy that was offered by Sun bicycle, and it seemed too high. The reason I say this is that I have to carry my bike up a half flight of stairs with low clearance. The other night, I busted off my flag, so I already know that tall things will not work for me.

One friend suggested an umbrella hat for shade. It would be low, and have the added advantage of visibility. I keep picturing the hat getting caught up in the wind, and me struggling to save it. But I can order one on the internet for about 3 bucks. Even if it didn't work, it wouldn't be like I was "in the hole."

Any ideas?
On the Challenge site, one of the top page photos shows people riding with what looks like sun hats on. There are 14 different photos (I think), it starts you on a random one, and then they change every time you switch to another page. You can switch back and forth between the same two same pages (like "news" and "models" for example) and it keeps rotating through the photos.
I have a Sunbody Gus for other reasons but have not tried riding with it. If there was no wind and you kept a casual pace it might work. "Work" straw hats usually have a neck cord with a cinch, so if it blows off backwards it isn't going to get very far from you.

-----

I like the idea of riding without sunscreen or sunburns on my head also, but haven't figured out a good way to do it yet. I like the way that the Sun trike canopy attaches, but it's way too small to work very well IMO. I would bet I'd want it at least 3' wide and 4' long, minimum.

Also I would be using some mylar "space blanket" for the awning I think--the stuff weighs basically nothing and blocks more heat and light than any kind of normal fabric you can find. It would rip sooner or later, but it's dirt cheap--those space blankets can be bought for ~$2 each from various surplus/clearance outdoor places online. Gardening centers sell aluminized mylar/polyester in greater thicknesses, but these are not as flexible as the cheaper 1 micron stuff.

There is also aluminized polypropylene fabrics and aluminized nylon fabrics that are manufactured and have various uses, but I have not yet found anywhere online to get either cheap, nor do I know any sort of use that would show up in surplus suppliers. Here is one place that sells new nylon, for $11.80 a yard:
https://www.ahh.biz/products/Aluminiz...on_Ripstop.htm
-I found the page above by searching for a supplier to a place that made sport-fishing boat canopies out of the stuff.

If you absolutely insisted on having a fabric top, what might work is to use 3M spray-adhesive to stick some "space blanket" to a piece of ripstop nylon. It wouldn't last forever, but it wouldn't cost a lot to make either.
~

Last edited by Doug5150; 07-08-08 at 06:29 AM.
Old 07-08-08, 07:25 AM
Floyd
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one of those umbrella hats and the elastic that holds it on has gotten old and lost its holding power. But you will not need the elastic anyway...that is if you attach the umbrella to your helmet. That would be a possibility
Speaking of the wind blowing the thing off, if you are going fast yes, but if it is just a casual ride to get some fresh air and exercize should not be a problem.
Old 07-08-08, 11:12 AM
countersTrike
Recumbent Trike

Bikes: WizWheelz TerraTrike with Velo-Kit & 24V motor, completely enclosed (fiberglass/kevlar & Lexan) EZ SX Tad with 36V motor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Any ideas?
Hat, canopy, whatever- silver insulation; very light, about 1/4' thick, 4 ' wide:
Attached Images
File Type: gif
G_20386G_TH_1.gif (5.0 KB, 193 views)
Old 07-13-08, 09:56 AM
cavit8
Shiftless bum

Bikes: Apollo fixed winter bike, Gazelle Cross, Baboe Cargo bike, Linskey Rouleur Road, Bridgestone Picnica, Tern C7, 2nd gen Strida

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Floyd
ISpeaking of the wind blowing the thing off, if you are going fast yes, but if it is just a casual ride to get some fresh air and exercize should not be a problem.
As Floyd said:

Having toured with sun hats, anything more than a leisurely pace blows the brim of a sunhat up or off. That's the reason cycling caps have small brims. And it always seems to happen at the worst possible time.
Old 07-13-08, 05:32 PM
andmalc

Bikes: Wabi Classic fixed, Raleigh Sojourn, Xootr Swift folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear a hat from Columbia Sportsware that looks a lot like this one from MEC:

https://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1215986254954

My Columbia hat has a drawstring which does keep in on riding except going into a moderate headwind. The only flaw is that sunlight gets in at the sides of the hat.
Old 07-13-08, 06:43 PM
cavit8
Shiftless bum

Bikes: Apollo fixed winter bike, Gazelle Cross, Baboe Cargo bike, Linskey Rouleur Road, Bridgestone Picnica, Tern C7, 2nd gen Strida

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's some pages I found, some solutions a little more elegant than others but similar principles

https://129.79.22.9/greenspeed/canopy2004/index.html
https://www.blackbirdbikes.com/sunroofs.htm
https://129.79.22.9/terratrike/canopy/index.html
Old 07-15-08, 01:36 PM
andmalc

Bikes: Wabi Classic fixed, Raleigh Sojourn, Xootr Swift folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While you're deciding how to do the canopy idea, pick up a cheapo bandanna about 16" square. Line your bike helmet with this to keep the sun from shining through the air vents. Lots of material will be left over to hang down over your neck to protect it too.
Old 07-15-08, 05:30 PM
Recumbomatic

Bikes: 2005 Performer Toscana, RANS V3 steel, RANS Citi, Kona Hoo-Ha

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Body sock with open sides?
Old 07-17-08, 04:38 AM
recumelectric
It's easy being green.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Recumbomatic
Body sock with open sides?
What does that look like? How high?
Old 07-21-08, 06:04 AM
parnass
Coffee drinker

Bikes: RANS Stratus LE, RANS Gliss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One friend suggested an umbrella hat for shade. .... Any ideas?
I recommend you wear a helmet if you are not already riding with one.
Old 07-21-08, 03:40 PM
countersTrike
Recumbent Trike

Bikes: WizWheelz TerraTrike with Velo-Kit & 24V motor, completely enclosed (fiberglass/kevlar & Lexan) EZ SX Tad with 36V motor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Recumbomatic
Maybe a fairing mounted as a roof? Polycarbonate blocks out 99% of UV rays.
Works well- 100% UV rays with silver insulation. Left my helmet on top- makes a nice shelf too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Pod# 1-'07.jpg (36.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 07-22-08, 12:41 AM
maude21

Bikes: Sun EZ3 sx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't get why the manufactured canopies always seem to be black, per Sun and Blackbird (above). Seems like they'd be awfully hot.

Honestly, people do come up with such clever ideas for recumbents. Along with the many referred to here, I've seen others similar to countersTrike.
Old 07-22-08, 04:55 AM
recumelectric
It's easy being green.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by countersTrike
Works well- 100% UV rays with silver insulation. Left my helmet on top- makes a nice shelf too!
Now that is one awesome machine! A little bit more than I am willing to take on the MUP, though.

Guess I should take the previous poster's suggestion and just wear a vented helmet. I just hate those things!
Old 07-25-08, 02:49 PM
LWB_guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While riding my recumbent bike today, my cap blew off twice, both times while riding fast downhill. The second time I put rubber bands through the holes to fit under my chin. Not sure how well that works yet.
Old 07-25-08, 08:32 PM
Mentor58
'Mizer Cats are INSANE

Bikes: C-dale T800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You realize that riding a 'bent, with an umbrella hat (especially if it's a multicolored one) may possibly cause you to be mistaken for a Fred?

M58
Who once fixed a propeller to the top of his helmet, just 'cuz.
Old 07-26-08, 02:44 AM
recumelectric
It's easy being green.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mentor58
You realize that riding a 'bent, with an umbrella hat (especially if it's a multicolored one) may possibly cause you to be mistaken for a Fred?

M58
Who once fixed a propeller to the top of his helmet, just 'cuz.

Yeah, I am full-on Fredette, Fredricka, Fredda... I absolutely do not care how I look while riding, as long as I can look decent at work.