Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Old 03-26-19, 12:08 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by Churchill
I think if there's wiggle room from MSRP then there should be discussion around pricing. Other people seem to indicate that the Specialized price is the price.
It probably depends on how much you're spending. Margins on most consumer bicycles are not very high. Most bike shops throw in free maintenance and free this-or-that with purchase, etc. I think my Giant dealer sold me my Roam last year for $600 when the MSRP on the Giant website was $610 or something. It's not much of a discount, and I didn't ask for more. The shop does a lot of charity work in the community and offers lifetime adjustments when you buy the bike, plus the first complete tune-up for free. I do that stuff myself, but that's normally a $65 service to a walk-in customer that he's giving away with each new bike, whether it's a $3k cyclocross bike or a $300 Giant Cypress. You may find that your dealer can or is willing to work with you on pricing, or he can't or won't. I guess you'd just need to ask. Each bike shop is a completely independent business, and there are probably different pricing structures they pay for bikes based on sales volume, etc. As with any other type of business, I imagine there are a lot of layers to the cake that most of us are not aware of when we walk in and see a price tag.
Old 03-26-19, 12:12 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 1,177 Times in 768 Posts
Other people seem to indicate that the Specialized price is the price.
Not always. It depends on the bike shop. My local Specialized dealer will stick with MSRP, but the Specialized dealer 40 miles away from me will knock anywhere from $200-$400 off the price. I had to use the one 40 miles away as leverage when I purchased my 2nd fat bike in 2018. Otherwise my local Specialized dealer would not budge on the price.
Old 03-26-19, 04:03 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1576 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 601 Posts
Hrm, OK your posts are kind of confusing. I think if there's wiggle room from MSRP then there should be discussion around pricing. Other people seem to indicate that the Specialized price is the price.
Not confusing at all. MSRP is just that: Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. The manufacturer -- in the example -- is Specialized. In Canada or the U.S., a given dealer is not bound by that price.

I own a Specialized, and have ordered and will soon receive a new one. My lbs would sell that bike to a 'walk in' off the street for the MSRP. I will pay that, less a minimum 10% discount that my lbs will offer me because I am a loyal/long-time customer.

Dealer margins on bicycles are not very high at all. An lbs has only so much wiggle room on price (MRSP less their dealer cost) within which to allow for haggling.

A high volume dealer in a large city environment will obviously have more wiggle room than a lower volume dealer in a small catchment area.

Discussions "around pricing" really come down to the usual: people claiming that bikes are too expensive, etc. Always amazes me that folks expect a legitimate dealer to sell 'em a bike at or below dealer cost. If someone wants a 'deal', they ought to buy either from a direct-sales company like Canyon, or from an 'online' "bike shop" like Bikes Direct, and take the consequences.
Old 03-26-19, 04:12 PM
Churchill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Not confusing at all. MSRP is just that: Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. The manufacturer -- in the example -- is Specialized. In Canada or the U.S., a given dealer is not bound by that price.

I own a Specialized, and have ordered and will soon receive a new one. My lbs would sell that bike to a 'walk in' off the street for the MSRP. I will pay that, less a minimum 10% discount that my lbs will offer me because I am a loyal/long-time customer.

Dealer margins on bicycles are not very high at all. An lbs has only so much wiggle room on price (MRSP less their dealer cost) within which to allow for haggling.

A high volume dealer in a large city environment will obviously have more wiggle room than a lower volume dealer in a small catchment area, so now I know a little more.

Discussions "around pricing" really come down to the usual: people claiming that bikes are too expensive, etc. Always amazes me that folks expect a legitimate dealer to sell 'em a bike at or below dealer cost. If someone wants a 'deal', they ought to buy either from a direct-sales company like Canyon, or from an 'online' "bike shop" like Bikes Direct, and take the consequences.
Sorry, what I meant was that if there is no wiggle room on price, then sure we shouldn't be discussing pricing as it's fixed and you can just look up what the street price is and you should not expect to pay lower than that. For some brands (not bikes in general) some retailers are contractually held to the MSRP and they are not allowed to price below that. I wasn't sure if that was the case with bikes or not.

This discussion has been informative for me. I have no idea what margins on bikes are and how much discount, if any, an LBS can offer, so now I know a little more,
Old 03-26-19, 06:41 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1

A high volume dealer in a large city environment will obviously have more wiggle room than a lower volume dealer in a small catchment area.

Very true.

My experience to get better prices at bike shops:

1) Offer cash
2) Get a job in the shop
Old 03-27-19, 08:02 AM
prj71

Sorry, what I meant was that if there is no wiggle room on price, then sure we shouldn't be discussing pricing as it's fixed and you can just look up what the street price is and you should not expect to pay lower than that. For some brands (not bikes in general) some retailers are contractually held to the MSRP and they are not allowed to price below that. I wasn't sure if that was the case with bikes or not.

This discussion has been informative for me. I have no idea what margins on bikes are and how much discount, if any, an LBS can offer, so now I know a little more,
About a 50% markup on bikes.

Best time to buy a new bike is when the new models come out and the shops need to unload all the old stock of last years model. If you are paying full retail price for a bike then you need to be a better consumer. I haven't paid MSRP yet for the 5 bikes I have purchased in the last 4 years.

1st Fatbike: MSRP = $2100. I paid $1700
Full Suspension Mountain Bike: MSRP = $2600. I paid $2200
Hardtail Mountain Bike: MSRP = $1900. I paid $1200 (On Sale at Jenson
2nd Fatbike - Carbon: MSRP = $2800. I paid $2500
Carbon Road Bike - MSRP = $1500. I paid $1000
Old 03-27-19, 08:44 AM
Churchill

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71

Best time to buy a new bike is when the new models come out and the shops need to unload all the old stock of last years model. If you are paying full retail price for a bike then you need to be a better consumer. I haven't paid MSRP yet for the 5 bikes I have purchased in the last 4 years.

1st Fatbike: MSRP = $2100. I paid $1700
Full Suspension Mountain Bike: MSRP = $2600. I paid $2200
Hardtail Mountain Bike: MSRP = $1900. I paid $1200 (On Sale at Jenson
2nd Fatbike - Carbon: MSRP = $2800. I paid $2500
Carbon Road Bike - MSRP = $1500. I paid $1000
Thanks, based on the timing needs for a bike then I may need to bite the bullet and pay full freight.
Old 03-27-19, 09:07 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Actual profit is quite slim to none depending on the city you live in
Old 03-31-19, 07:13 PM
Midway

Bikes: Colnago Master PIU 90's era, Cannondale Synapse Hi-MOD Disc 2018

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 9 Posts
My wife's Sirrus Expert Carbon finally came in, took almost 6 weeks but she is a happy camper.

Old 03-31-19, 07:22 PM
mikesdoublecab

Bikes: 2008 Paketa Magnesium Frame MTB, 2012 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid, 2010 Wilier Triestina Izoard Ultegra

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
I so want a carbon Sirrus now. I listed my 2012 for sale early this month in my local neighborhood Facebook group, but after 3 weeks of staring at it in the garage, I changed my mind and put it back up in my garage rack. Taking it out to the beach on Tuesday for a breezy cruise.
Old 04-08-19, 02:10 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
I really wish Specialized would go back to using E5 aluminum on their higher end alloys (I save the carbon for my road bike). Sometimes I'd like to upgrade to a disc brake bike, but then I'm like, why do I want to downgrade my frame material?
Old 04-09-19, 06:05 PM
revivalist

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Any advice for some sort of rack for my Sirrus Elite Carbon?

I don't see where I can mount one. The aluminum frames have mounting points I think but the carbon ones don't. Any advice?

Old 04-09-19, 06:21 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by revivalist
Any advice for some sort of rack for my Sirrus Elite Carbon?

I don't see where I can mount one. The aluminum frames have mounting points I think but the carbon ones don't. Any advice?

Get a seat post collar with rackmounts.

Now after doing so, I'm not sure if every and any rack will fit, but there will definitely be some good options.
Old 04-09-19, 06:29 PM
revivalist

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Will they mount to one of those holes down by my rear wheel?
Old 04-09-19, 06:29 PM
revivalist

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Get a seat post collar with rackmounts.

Now after doing so, I'm not sure if every and any rack will fit, but there will definitely be some good options.

Old 04-09-19, 06:34 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by revivalist
Yes, to the hole on the side of the seat stays...the one above where your rear derailleur cable is in one of the pictures. Here's an example of a rack I have on my MTB that doesn't have rack mounts:

Either you or your local bike shop can measure your seat post to get the correct size seat post collar with the rack mounts.
Old 04-10-19, 07:47 AM
prj71

Took a Sirrus X Carbon out for a ride over the weekend. Nice bike. Also took a Specialized Diverge for a ride and kinda liked it better than the Sirrus X. Been thinking of one of the two for a gravel bike. Have the Giant Revolt on the my radar also.
Old 04-13-19, 08:33 AM
hijklr

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Picked up my shiny new black/blue X Comp Carbon 2 weeks ago. Love the comfort and playfulness of the bike.
I've set it up tubeless and run 40 psi. My bike came with NO upper spring installed in the future shock. After trying
both the supplied medium black and soft blue springs (didn't try the firm yellow), I prefer the soft blue. I obtained
(3) 5mm spacers from the dealer to raise the future shock 15mm (which raised the stem and handlebars to my
liking). The front brakes squeal at times so I'm going to replace the rotors with SM-RT64 and hopefully quiet things
down. I replaced the generic bottom bracket with an SM-BBR60 for reliability. Installed Ergon GP5 grips/bar ends
provide more comfort and additional hand positions. Until I've posted 10 times, I can't include a photo. Wonderful bike!
Kevin
Old 04-13-19, 12:15 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1576 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 601 Posts
Originally Posted by hijklr
Picked up my shiny new black/blue X Comp Carbon 2 weeks ago. Love the comfort and playfulness of the bike.
I've set it up tubeless and run 40 psi. My bike came with NO upper spring installed in the future shock. After trying
both the supplied medium black and soft blue springs (didn't try the firm yellow), I prefer the soft blue. I obtained
(3) 5mm spacers from the dealer to raise the future shock 15mm (which raised the stem and handlebars to my
liking). The front brakes squeal at times so I'm going to replace the rotors with SM-RT64 and hopefully quiet things
down. I replaced the generic bottom bracket with an SM-BBR60 for reliability. Installed Ergon GP5 grips/bar ends
provide more comfort and additional hand positions. Until I've posted 10 times, I can't include a photo. Wonderful bike!
Kevin
Woot! I'm just waiting on mine -- apparently 'on the truck'.

Interesting about the FS spring, but I take it the bike does ship with all three springs? Interesting too about the rotors and b/b -- same plan here: Ice-tech rotors and Shimano b/b are going on before the bike leaves the shop. Already have a new set of Ergons (GP2 'shorties' in my case) ready to install.
Old 04-13-19, 01:36 PM
hijklr

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I was given a bag with the 3 future shock springs. Dealer incorrectly believed a medium black spring was already installed.
Ideally, a 20mm cone wrench would be used to remove the cap to access the spring, but I used a small crescent wrench without
any trouble.
Old 04-13-19, 06:24 PM
FXjohn

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Seems silly to pay a grand extra for a light bike and then clamp cheap heavy racks on it
Old 04-13-19, 11:04 PM
djmcnz
Noob Rider

Bikes: Sirrus Expert Carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Swapping brand new, perfectly serviceable, components out also raises an eyebrow. Why not use what you've paid for until it needs replacing?
Old 04-18-19, 05:12 PM
revivalist

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FXjohn
Seems silly to pay a grand extra for a light bike and then clamp cheap heavy racks on it
Bought a carbon sirrus with tons of accessories and a mechanics bike stand for $600. Not sure where the "extra grand" comes from.
Old 04-19-19, 09:07 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by FXjohn
Would be even more silly to buy a heavier aluminum bike and then clamp heavy racks on it.
Old 04-22-19, 01:19 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
I wonder if they are planning on releasing new/updated Sirrus' anytime soon...with the exception of 1 or 2, they've been selling the same exact models for going on two years now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.