Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Brompton in Acadia National Park?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-16, 10:47 AM
exarkuhn15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi folks,

I'm traveling to Acadia National Park this week in Maine, and plan to do some riding. Will Bromptons work well on the carriage roads there?

My wife and I have Bromptons that we enjoy traveling with for the convenience, so we planned to bring those with us to do some riding on the Acadia carriage roads.

I just want to make sure that we don't need bigger wheeled bikes with fatter tires. Are the Bromptons going to be comfortable to ride on the unpaved carriage roads? I would rather bring the Bromptons than deal with the hassle of bringing our big bikes on the rack all the way from Boston as it's a lot easier to just toss the Bromptons in the trunk, but I want to make sure we're not going to find that the paths require fatter tires than what we have.

Thanks!
Old 08-17-16, 12:10 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Not sure how often they maintain the trails, but the 2 times I've been through them, IMHO a Brompton with Marathon tires would be fine, if you don't mind getting them rather dusty. Here's my P8 with Big Apples on the carriage trails last fall (with some extra weight).
Old 08-22-16, 02:04 PM
exarkuhn15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reppans
Not sure how often they maintain the trails, but the 2 times I've been through them, IMHO a Brompton with Marathon tires would be fine, if you don't mind getting them rather dusty.
Thanks! You were right.

I just got back from Acadia, and they did perform quite well. My partner wasn't totally comfortable on the looser surfaces on the Bromptons, but she still rode on them just fine. We have the standard Brompton tires, and I made sure to bring my toolkit with pump and patch kit, just in case.

I was afraid the rocks on the path would be pretty large and sharp, but the pieces were pretty small. Plenty of gravel grinding experiences, where the tires make lots of noise and you get lots of popping sounds from little pebbles being shot out from under the tires, but I was just fine riding on the carriage paths. You slow down a bit, and make sure you don't try to turn sharply, but the Bromptons did just fine. I wouldn't bomb down the paths the way I saw some people doing with big knobby tires on full-sized bikes, but our bikes packed up into our trunk without a rack, so I'll take it!

Hope this info helps someone else.
Old 08-22-16, 02:54 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Glad to hear it worked for you.
Old 08-22-16, 05:22 PM
fourknees

Bikes: currently: electra townie 21d and 7d,i, durban bay pro 7, raleigh hybrid (2001 c40), burley trailer, a few kids bikes. Former: Townie 3i, weehoo trailer...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a great trip. Any pictures to share?