Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Stripped s100 right crankarm - how to fix?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-18, 04:39 PM
Anonymous238

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I finally decided to do something on my own on my bike and just made things worse. I put new pedals on my bike about a month ago and today as I'm riding the pedal starts rotating weird and before I know it its dangling off the right crankarm. It worked its way out and completely stripped the thread. I am told by a local shop that I probably didn't tighten the pedal enough because I was using a short allen wrench during install which didn't have the leverage to tighten it enough - that's possible but I hope with the same short tool if I now tighten all the other pedals (I have 2 sets of em) as hard as I can that will be enough (I had to buy 2 separate tools just to install these pedals and really don't want to have to buy another). I am now looking at having to replace the right crankarm of the sram s100s or even a complete replacement, which is rough as the crankset is fairly new. What can I replace the crankarm with? Any 170mm crankarm? I'd prefer sram but having a tough time finding just the right crankarm - would this work: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sram-Force-...ty!11238!US!-1 Or should I just re-thread it? I appreciate any help. Thanks.
Old 08-15-18, 08:16 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
A helicoil repair of the pedal threads is often more cost-effective than replacing the whole arm, and the helicoil is actually stronger than the original threads.

If your usual bike shop doesn't have a helicoil kit, ask around to see if a different shop has one. Another option is a machine shop, especially since it is the right arm that is damaged. Right hand thread helicoils are pretty common in a lot of applications, but left hand thread helicoils such as found on the non-drive side arm are pretty bike-specific.
Old 08-16-18, 09:43 AM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Anonymous238
I am told by a local shop that I probably didn't tighten the pedal enough because I was using a short allen wrench during install which didn't have the leverage to tighten it enough
You don't have to buy an expensive pedal wrench but having one will take out any doubt in the future or go find a longer hex wrench. You've already suffered the consequence of under-torquing one pedal, why risk it on the others. Proper tools and all that, you know.
Old 08-16-18, 05:29 PM
Anonymous238

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I went back to my bike shop for the helicoil repair and the thread is too stripped. I really don't want to buy a whole new crankset which is what the shop told me I'd have to do. Can anyone here link me a right crankarm that's compatible with the s100? Would this work: https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRUVATIV-IS...MAAOSwIhxZY6oI - 170mm power spline (That's what I have for a BB).

Last edited by Anonymous238; 08-16-18 at 05:40 PM. Reason: adding link
Old 08-17-18, 07:27 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 522 Posts
Can't help with the replacement crank arm but this will help with extending an allen wrench.
https://youtu.be/31t4xD7OWbM

A deep socket works better.
Old 08-17-18, 09:47 PM
Live Wire 
Framebuilder

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like the person you talked to doesn't know what a helicoil is. Part of the repair is cutting new threads of a larger diameter so you can install the helicoil insert. So it wouldn't matter how stripped the old threads are.

So I went back to my bike shop for the helicoil repair and the thread is too stripped. I really don't want to buy a whole new crankset which is what the shop told me I'd have to do. Can anyone here link me a right crankarm that's compatible with the s100? Would this work: https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRUVATIV-IS...MAAOSwIhxZY6oI - 170mm power spline (That's what I have for a BB).
Old 08-19-18, 03:11 PM
Anonymous238

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Live Wire
Sounds like the person you talked to doesn't know what a helicoil is. Part of the repair is cutting new threads of a larger diameter so you can install the helicoil insert. So it wouldn't matter how stripped the old threads are.

I just went to 3 bike shops and they all said the same thing. The thread is too striped and there's nothing I could do to keep the crank arm. If you think all 3 shops are wrong and I can still fix a completely stripped crank arm please tell me where I should go in NYC
Old 08-19-18, 08:26 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
I just went to 3 bike shops and they all said the same thing. The thread is too striped and there's nothing I could do to keep the crank arm. If you think all 3 shops are wrong and I can still fix a completely stripped crank arm please tell me where I should go in NYC
Yes, the shops are all wrong, but it will cost more for you to buy a complete thread repair kit than the crankarm is worth. Helicoil does not make a kit for extra fine 9/16-20 pedal threads. Other kits like the one sold by Eldi cost well above $100. If it were me, I’d replace the entire crankset with something that uses a standard square taper bottom bracket spindle.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 08-19-18, 11:02 PM
Unapomer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
As said by Tejano Trackie andLive Wire, you are getting bad info from the bike shops you visited. Look for an "old school" bike shop, use your phone and call around, it's a common repair done by a full service bike shop, not a "boutique bike shop"
Old 08-21-18, 07:56 AM
Anonymous238

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Unapomer
As said by Tejano Trackie andLive Wire, you are getting bad info from the bike shops you visited. Look for an "old school" bike shop, use your phone and call around, it's a common repair done by a full service bike shop, not a "boutique bike shop"
These aren't really boutique shops but this weekend I'll try more further away from me with car. I really don't want to spend more than 30 bucks on this repair as I just bought the crankset 6 months ago. If they can't fix it I'm leaning towards buying this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRUVATIV-IS...MAAOSwIhxZY6oI even though its 170mm and no 172.5 - I don't think 2.5mm will be too noticeable. Below you can see how badly stripped the thread is - there is virtually none of it left - you can put the peddle through the thread clean with space to wiggly around

Old 08-21-18, 08:27 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Assuming that crankarm on eBay will fit on your bottom bracket spindle, I’d just go ahead and get it, since it will cost just as much to get your crankarm repaired. You will probably not notice a 2.5mm difference between your right and left crankarms.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me