Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wheel bearing press - what do you use?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-19, 11:28 AM
Sito

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Sensa Fermo, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi guys, I would like to be able to service my hub bearings myself and have been looking for bearing presses but haven't really found anything apart from the very expensive Park Tool HBP-1 set. Are you aware of any more affordable alternatives? I have seen some home-made versions but if something ready-made is available I'd definitely look at it. I am not a pro mechanic and only will service my hubs a handful of times per year, so don't really need the bomb-proof Park Tool quality.
Old 01-02-19, 12:03 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Various methods cab be used for the install force. A threaded rod/long axle with nuts, A QR skewer. A hammer even. But more important then the method to force the bearings back into/onto the hub shell/axle is the washers/plugs that tough the bearing and clear the shell/axle. This is the feature of a bearing setting kit, it has the specific pressure plugs for the bearings already. The goal being to apply the force to the bearing's outer and inner race equally so that the races don't misalign under force and become damaged. Some of this depends on how the bearing is held in place in the shell and on the axle.

Home made pressure plugs can be sockets from a ratchet set, simple washers, other bearings and any round and flat thing of the proper diameters needed. I've used simple washers that are ground down in diameter on a bench grinder to suit and then a socket backing them up. Often I can use a long fully threaded axle and it's nuts as the force suppling device. Sometimes I'll use the cones to serve as centering devices to keep all axial as the bearings get pressed in. Andy
Old 01-02-19, 01:25 PM
Sito

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Sensa Fermo, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ok, I have found this which doesn't look too bad and also works for bottom brackets: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F7VXQVM/
I am still undecided but might give it a try
Old 01-02-19, 01:39 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

That's a rather complete kit and not a bad price. Do your homework and make sure it has your hubs' bearings plugs in it first. Andy
Old 01-02-19, 01:42 PM
RocThrower

Bikes: Space Horse Disc, Domane SL5 Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
I've been using this for several years and it works perfect, and the price isn't bad at $35.00. I bought this along with the required bearing drifts I needed for my wheelset.

WM Economy Bearing Press
Old 01-02-19, 03:53 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Wheels Mfg makes many bearing presses and sells the drifts for each bearing individually.

https://wheelsmfg.com/presses-tools....list_limit=all

I own the Universal Bottom Bracket Press which I used to service cartridge bearings on old Mavic Kysrium wheels. It wasn't long enough to do the rear wheel and I had to use an old skewer and washers anyway.

-Tim-
Old 01-02-19, 05:12 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Sito
. . . will service my hubs a handful of times per year . . .
You must ride a lot, like full time, so get a pro tool to work quickly and not reduce your riding time too much.
Old 01-02-19, 08:36 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by AnkleWork
You must ride a lot, like full time, so get a pro tool to work quickly and not reduce your riding time too much.
I was going to say something about the OP should hope that he doesn't need the tool for the same hubs more then once every few years, and even that's a lot. Unless something else is going on we aren't privy to. Andy
Old 01-02-19, 10:37 PM
AnkleWork

I'm worried the OP will wear out the hub bores from all the pressing in and out.
Old 01-03-19, 01:50 AM
Sito

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
I am riding a lot but let me clarify: I won't service every hub a handful of times but between all my wheels there will probably be a handful of hub services per year. I've found my front hubs to run smoothly for years but rear hubs can get get rough with only a few thousand kilometers on the clock, especially on my CX bike. So I guess preventative measure is not a bad thing
Old 01-03-19, 12:12 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by Sito
I am riding a lot but let me clarify: I won't service every hub a handful of times but between all my wheels there will probably be a handful of hub services per year. I've found my front hubs to run smoothly for years but rear hubs can get get rough with only a few thousand kilometers on the clock, especially on my CX bike. So I guess preventative measure is not a bad thing
Agreed on preventative maintenance. Also agreed the CX riding/racing is pretty hard on bearings. One step along the path to needing bearing replacement is to access them and pull off the sealing ring. then clean and relube. This can often be done without removing the entire bearing. Andy
Old 01-03-19, 02:38 PM
AnkleWork

I'd consider finding bearings with better seals, maybe industrial bearings with water tight/washdown seals and installing only where needed.
Old 01-06-19, 08:01 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
Don't forget the old mechanics trick of freezing the bearing and heating the hub. Put the bearing in the freezer for an hour or so, and just before taking it out, warm the hub with a heat gun or hair dryer. You won't have a lot of time once you take the bearing out of the freezer, so have everything ready to go. The bearing will shrink a very small amount and the hub opening will expand, again by a very small amount. This may make it easier to get the bearing seated properly.

I just use a socket that only contacts the outer race, and a small ball peen hammer. Don't forget the spacer between the bearings - please don't ask why I'm reminding you of this part.
Old 01-07-19, 08:12 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Second the cool the bearing approach suggested by Speedevil. Recently installed an FSA Megaevo BB/crank and found the 30mm axle
would NOT slide into the BB as the BB ID was 30.0 and the axle was 30.0mm. Unlike 24mm BB which are a slide fit, 30mm are not.
But putting the crank in the freezer for an hour or so resulted in an easy slide in fit. Probably could have brute forced the axle in but
did not want to beat on a brand new fancily decorated crankset.
Old 01-07-19, 11:56 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
20 years back, I bought hubs with drop in (6001) bearings... not press fit ..