Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

3/32 Chain ring suggestions?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-19, 05:06 PM
barnabaas

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Cannondale Quick 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Want to snaz up my bike and get a silver chain ring (currently black) Most chain rings I'm finding online are 1/2x1/8" Anyone have suggestions for a decent 144bcd 3/32" chainring?
Old 01-04-19, 08:58 PM
mouse
dumb

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by barnabaas
Want to snaz up my bike and get a silver chain ring (currently black) Most chain rings I'm finding online are 1/2x1/8" Anyone have suggestions for a decent 144bcd 3/32" chainring?
I might be missing something here, but why are you limiting yourself to 3/32? Just personal preference?
Old 01-04-19, 10:10 PM
barnabaas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I left out some info. My bad. My current chainring is an Andel 144bcd 3/32nd chainring so I figured a direct swap would be ideal. My current chain is also a 3/32 and is in perfectly fine working order so was hoping to not have to change that if need be. Also my rear cog is a 3/32. It was mainly for ease of swapping. Seems I either find something on ebay or get a new 1/8" chain and 1/8" chainring. Just thought maybe I was missing something somewhere as most stores seem to only carry 1/8" chainrings.
Old 01-04-19, 11:11 PM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I left out some info. My bad. My current chainring is an Andel 144bcd 3/32nd chainring so I figured a direct swap would be ideal. My current chain is also a 3/32 and is in perfectly fine working order so was hoping to not have to change that if need be. Also my rear cog is a 3/32. It was mainly for ease of swapping. Seems I either find something on ebay or get a new 1/8" chain and 1/8" chainring. Just thought maybe I was missing something somewhere as most stores seem to only carry 1/8" chainrings.
I think you're right. I see ebay has a selection of chainrings with these specs. Just doing a quick google search didn't turn much other than that. If it were me I would spend $10-$20 on a 1/8th chain and then you can run whatever ring you want. If you don't care about design of the chainring and more about it just being silver, you could always remove the black anodize and polish it yourself.
Old 01-04-19, 11:35 PM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
I've run a 3/32" drivetrain for years and have never had any problems finding whatever I want for it whether it be rings, cogs, or chains - just search on the google

Here are some makers who offer 3/32 144BCD rings...
DuraAce
TA Specialities
Blackspire
Old 01-04-19, 11:52 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Try Mojo. I don't know if they make 144 3/32" but I believe they make a good selection and they appear to be decent rings. (I've got 5 110 BCD 1/8" Mojos for one of my fix gears and you don't see those everywhere.) Ordering from their website was easy.

That said, I went from 3/32" I rode since 1976 to 1/8" 18 years ago and never looked back.

Ben
Old 01-05-19, 12:54 AM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IAmSam
I've run a 3/32" drivetrain for years and have never had any problems finding whatever I want for it whether it be rings, cogs, or chains - just search on the google

DuraAce
TA Specialities
Blackspire
Not to start an argument, but running a 3/32 drivetrain is still adding limitations as far as options goes regardless. Simply changing one of the cheapest components (the chain) opens the user up to the world of both options. I find absolutely no reason to stay strict to 3/32... but we both know this has been debated to death

Originally Posted by 79pmooney

That said, I went from 3/32" I rode since 1976 to 1/8" 18 years ago and never looked back.

Ben
+1 on this

1/8” is just so much easier to deal with... at least for me. Think of it this way... you’re being limited by something as simple as a chain. I don’t know what chain you’re fond of, but me personally I run kmc chains, and sram pc-1... none of my chains cost more than $23 and most are $10-$12. That in itself is worth running the “cooler” styled 1/8” rings on the market, but again that’s just me. The only justification I could find in running strictly 3/32 would be maybe a period correct build or a strict resto. But I don’t think that’s the case here.

Last edited by mouse; 01-05-19 at 01:03 AM.
Old 01-05-19, 10:10 AM
barnabaas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All good info here, thanks everyone. There's nothing wrong with my chain as it is but I wouldn't mind changing that too in the near future so maybe I just take the leap to 1/8 given all the options going forward. I was keen on some of those Dura-Ace rings which do have 3/32 options but most of them are ebay based, and I was also keen on the debate that 3/32 chains are lighter and quieter but I can't imagine it's that big of a difference in the end. Ideally I'd love for all my cogs to line up size wise but as I understand it I can still use my rear 3/32 cog with the 1/8" chain so it's not a huge hit if I have to change the chain with the chainring.

Again, all good info here, thanks everyone. I'll keep ya posted when I pull the trigger on something.
Old 01-05-19, 11:33 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Is this a SS or fixed gear?

I run a 3/32 SS Setup, and have never felt any reason to use 1/8. Of course I agree, it’s been debated to death. Your problem of course is that 144 is pretty much all 1/8 and pretty much all 3/32 is 130 or smaller. That’s the rub, and there’s no getting around it. So the simplest advice, would be that if your crank is 144, you are practically speaking, better off using 1/8. I use a 130bcd dura ace 7400 crank, so I have a plethora of options, and I run a dura ace 7900 10spd (11/128) chain and a WI 3/32 freewheel. It just makes sense, and also makes it dead simple to convert to a 1x derailleur setup, essentially within minutes.

the Andel crank is a perfectly fine bit of kit, so unless you’re willing to go all in and spend money swapping the entire drivetrain, in your case, going 1/8 is perfectly fine.

of course the one option that hasn’t been said yet, is that you crank strip the anodising off the chainring and polish it. Yea it’s a bit of work, but it’s the cheapest option, and who knows, you might enjoy the process. I did that for both my crank and chainring.

you could consider some vintage options, if you don’t mind spending time on eBay. The Sugino mighty cranksets were all 144 and 151bcd and had both track and road versions, so there are plenty of older Sugino 144 3/32 chainrings. There are also plenty of 144 bcd campagnolo rings out there. But getting a NOS ring or one with very little tooth wear could prove difficult. Not a very practical avenue, but I thought I’d mention it anyway.

Last edited by seamuis; 01-05-19 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-05-19, 01:08 PM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by seamuis

of course the one option that hasn’t been said yet, is that you crank strip the anodising off the chainring and polish it. Yea it’s a bit of work, but it’s the cheapest option, and who knows, you might enjoy the process. I did that for both my crank and chainring.
Originally Posted by mouse
If you don't care about design of the chainring and more about it just being silver, you could always remove the black anodize and polish it yourself.
Beat ya to it love 😉
Old 01-05-19, 01:31 PM
barnabaas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't mind the bit of work TBH - I'll research that just to be certain I want to spend the time....and you're totally right Seamuis, it's the 144bcd that's the culprit. I did however find a bunch of old race dura-ace chainrings on ebay and NJS export. Most of them coming from Japan and used, but seem to be in ok condition. They're also half the price of a new 1/8 chainring which is kinda appealing. I don't feel the need to change the entire drivetrain so I'll stick with the Andel and work around it. It fits the bike anyhow.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, I really appreciate the help.
Old 01-05-19, 01:44 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Beat ya to it love 😉
Well that’s that then. Cheers mate!
Old 01-05-19, 06:27 PM
IAmSam

Old 01-05-19, 09:00 PM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Old 01-06-19, 08:43 AM
Dougbloch 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I just picked up a NOS 144bcd 45t Campagnolo chainring at Bike Recyclery for a 3/32 chain. I did a quick glance and it looks like they are sold out, but you may want to contact them.

Retro-gression also has some in the past but their site is down as they move from San Diego to Portland.

Wabi stripped the black of my chainring for my Andel cranks and it came out nice. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Old 01-06-19, 09:52 PM
barnabaas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dougbloch
I just picked up a NOS 144bcd 45t Campagnolo chainring at Bike Recyclery for a 3/32 chain. I did a quick glance and it looks like they are sold out, but you may want to contact them.

Retro-gression also has some in the past but their site is down as they move from San Diego to Portland.

Wabi stripped the black of my chainring for my Andel cranks and it came out nice. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 01-08-19, 10:04 AM
IAmSam

Thank you for reminding me about that movie - even if it was kinda cornball, I liked it back when it came out. And it reminds me about the underling theme, which hopefully will help me to not forget to have more empathy for those who are...errrr, lets just say...less fortunate than I. Keep up the good work

Good luck barnabaas - it really ain't that hard to find what you are looking for...
Old 01-08-19, 03:12 PM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you for reminding me about that movie - even if it was kinda cornball, I liked it back when it came out. And it reminds me about the underling theme, which hopefully will help me to not forget to have more empathy for those who are...errrr, lets just say...less fortunate than I. Keep up the good work

Good luck barnabaas - it really ain't that hard to find what you are looking for...
Old 01-08-19, 04:56 PM
barnabaas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks..
Old 01-09-19, 08:56 AM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts

DuraAce
TA Specialities
Blackspire
You can often find NOS non-ramped Salsa chainrings on eBay and they are excellent as well. Nevermind. 144 BCD.

Last edited by 50voltphantom; 01-09-19 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-14-19, 05:43 PM
barnabaas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, sorry to revive this thread but I had another stupid question and instead of making another post I figured I'd ask real quick. Can any chainring be mixed and matched with any crankset provided their bolt center diameter's match up? Seems logical to me but I could be missing something and wanted to make sure.

Any exceptions I should know about?
Old 01-14-19, 05:56 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Ok, sorry to revive this thread but I had another stupid question and instead of making another post I figured I'd ask real quick. Can any chainring be mixed and matched with any crankset provided their bolt center diameter's match up? Seems logical to me but I could be missing something and wanted to make sure.

Pretty much. So long as BCD is the same you are good to go. Though things do get a little wonky with the newer Shimano 110 Asym stuff and SRAM as well I believe, along with all the direct mount stuff but if you find a 130 bcd crank you can put pretty much any 130 bcd chainring on it. However will it all work with your drivetrain is another issue. Most stuff will do ok but 11 and 12 speed stuff might not play so nice with 6-9 speed stuff.
Old 01-14-19, 07:01 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

generally yes, but with some third party manufacturerd chainrings, you might find things don’t perfcetly line up or fit as smoothly as you’d expect. Mostly just manufacturing issues/QC, that sort of thing. Nothing that should keep a chainring from mounting up though.
Old 01-14-19, 07:09 PM
barnabaas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pretty much. So long as BCD is the same you are good to go. Though things do get a little wonky with the newer Shimano 110 Asym stuff and SRAM as well I believe, along with all the direct mount stuff but if you find a 130 bcd crank you can put pretty much any 130 bcd chainring on it. However will it all work with your drivetrain is another issue. Most stuff will do ok but 11 and 12 speed stuff might not play so nice with 6-9 speed stuff.
Originally Posted by seamuis

generally yes, but with some third party manufacturerd chainrings, you might find things don’t perfcetly line up or fit as smoothly as you’d expect. Mostly just manufacturing issues/QC, that sort of thing. Nothing that should keep a chainring from mounting up though.

Great thanks guys