Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Florida trails/Vacation Spots

Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Old 02-23-19, 12:00 AM
Irishred

Bikes: Tour Easy; Salsa Marrakesh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 14 Posts

I'm looking to spend 4 to 6 weeks (mid Jan- mid Feb. 2020) below the frost line in Fl. We have recumbents, so good riding trails are a must. Any suggestions for those type rental places that are dog friendly?
Old 02-23-19, 08:06 AM
hochflynn

Bikes: 2014 Engin (custom titanium), 2008 Specialized tarmac, 2002 Trek 2300

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Irishred
I'm looking to spend 4 to 6 weeks (mid Jan- mid Feb. 2020) below the frost line in Fl. We have recumbents, so good riding trails are a must. Any suggestions for those type rental places that are dog friendly?
I've wintered in Mt. Dora, which is a small town in central Florida. Cooler (average high around 70 in Jan., starts to warm up a little in Feb.) than southern Florida, but nicer IMHO - small towns, rural area. The town I would recommend would be Clermont. It's just off the W. Orange Trail (50+ miles round trip) 20 minutes from the Van Fleet Trail (around 70 miles RT including connection to another trail) and 40 minutes from the Withlacoochie trail (92 miles RT with a new 10 mile spur). All are paved, off road and no dogs. Occasional gator on the side of the Van Fleet though (safe). I love the road riding in the Mt. Dora area but do the trails usually twice a week.
Old 02-23-19, 12:55 PM
Ald1 

Bikes: Domane SLR 9 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.3 1978 Mercian

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
I'm down in Clearwater here from Pa. till mid March. Been here a week and put in 170 miles so far of glorius riding. Many beautiful routes and trails including the "famous" Pinealla Trail. Locals tell me it's unusually warm for this time of year by about 10 degrees. 72 early morning warm to about 85. I don't mind at all!!!! My wife and I are doing the air B&B thing and have been very pleased with the cost, location and host.
Old 02-25-19, 11:22 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Irishred
The Withlacoochee Trail becomes the largest dog park in Florida during the winter months. There are 2 two bike shops in Inverness within 1 block of the trail and both rent/sell/service bikes. Lots of northerners come down for the winter so you won't be alone.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 03-21-19, 04:52 PM
Mmassey338
Old guy on a bike

Bikes: Fuji “mountain” bike, Lynskey GR260 & Firefly Allroad

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
The Withlacoochee Trail becomes the largest dog park in Florida during the winter months. There are 2 two bike shops in Inverness within 1 block of the trail and both rent/sell/service bikes. Lots of northerners come down for the winter so you won't be alone.
There is also a recumbent bike shop about 7 miles south of Inverness in Floral City, and it is right on the trail. More wildlife on the south half (Floral City south to Owensboro), but the north has the pink elephant.