Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

2x11 crankset for Cutthroat?

Old 04-14-19, 03:20 PM
JWK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, GT Grade alloy, Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
2x11 crankset for Cutthroat?

I've been eyeing the Cutthroat for almost two years now. I'm planning on a new bike, so I'm looking at it again. I had to learn about press fit bottom brackets. That was a pain. I finally got it. Now I more or less understand about the 41x92 BB shell. After I got through with that, I started hunting for an appropriate double mtn crankset that would best suit my purposes.

I'm stumped. Salsa states any mtn double (shimano or gxp - IOW 24mm spindle) will work as long as it's not bigger than 42x28 chainrings. That with an 11-42 cassette would work for me. But I can't find anything like it.

Any suggestions? I'm not up on the aftermarket stuff and I wouldn't even know where to start. Thanks for any help.
Old 04-14-19, 05:09 PM
wsteve464

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Any mtb Sram or Shimano crank with the matched bottom bracket will work, at least it does on my 2016 model, the green one. It came with a 2 x 11 and since buying I have upgraded to a Wheels manuf BB and swapped the crank assy with other bikes. The MTB crank has a wider spindle than the road crank by 5mm.

the Wheels BB is a thread together bottom bracket rather than a press fit. The 2 halves thread together in the middle of the BB shell.

Last edited by wsteve464; 04-14-19 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-15-19, 12:14 PM
MAGAIVER

Bikes: Kona Unit, Kona Kahuna, Kona Dew DL, Scott Big Jon, Trek Checkpoint ALR4, KHS Urban Soul, Haro Team Issue, GT Force Expert Carbon, Bernardi Quadra.

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 25 Posts
Keep in mind that you'll need to get a left lever with the shifting bits for the front derailleur and a front derrailleur that works with the rest of your transmission. And if you decide to go with shimano, their road levers dont work with MTB derailleurs unless you're using Di2. I'd just stick to 1x personally.

Last edited by MAGAIVER; 04-15-19 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-15-19, 07:25 PM
JWK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, GT Grade alloy, Trek 920

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MAGAIVER
Keep in mind that you'll need to get a left lever with the shifting bits for the front derailleur and a front derrailleur that works with the rest of your transmission. And if you decide to go with shimano, their road levers dont work with MTB derailleurs unless you're using Di2. I'd just stick to 1x personally.
You make good points, most of which I've considered. 1x just isn't going to work for me. It might just be too difficult to get the gearing I desire on the cutthroat. It is just such a dedicated trail bike. I wish there was some gravel/road version of the cutthroat out there with the same (or close) ability for big tires. Eh, maybe I should refocus on a 650b bike. I'm 6' tall with a 34" inseam. I'm leary of the 650b size for my purposes.
Old 04-16-19, 05:24 AM
MAGAIVER

Bikes: Kona Unit, Kona Kahuna, Kona Dew DL, Scott Big Jon, Trek Checkpoint ALR4, KHS Urban Soul, Haro Team Issue, GT Force Expert Carbon, Bernardi Quadra.

If your budget allows, go for the frame only version and build it with XT Di2 and Ultegra Di2 shifters, that would be the very best way to go for 2x on drop bars, wish I could afford that.
Old 04-17-19, 10:15 PM
jan nikolajsen 
Mostly Mischief

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 24 Posts
I also have a 34" inseam, and look stupid on anything with wheels less than 29"/700c.

Like you I can’t do 1x on an endurance bike.

The solution for me with the Cutty was to do what MAGAIVER mentioned above: build it up from frame with a Di2 mix of Ultegra and XT. The gearing is 38-28 with an 11-40 cassette; and it works great. I have a closely spaced cluster for finding the groove on pavement and smooth gravel, plus deep gears for those late ride steeps that must be spun.

I considered a mechanical 2x11 with XT derailleurs/crank and MicroShift bar ends. These work with MTB derailleurs and can also do friction. I used this combo on a drop bar Highball conversion I did. It works good too, as most single track riding is in the drops (for braking efficiency) and the shifters are accessible there too. To really dial it I cut an inch off the bars so the shifters were closer to the hands.
Old 04-18-19, 07:51 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I don't think Di2 road and MTB components can be mixed.

My understanding is that the system will remain non-functional when road and MTB components are mixed.

-Tim-
Old 04-18-19, 07:57 AM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH

My understanding is that the system will remain non-functional when road and MTB components are mixed.

-Tim-
Road levers work with mtb derailleurs, its what I use. You do however as far as I know, have to match F&R derailleurs mtb to mtb.
Old 04-18-19, 10:40 AM
MAGAIVER

Originally Posted by TimothyH

-Tim-
You can mix MTB derrailerus with road shifters but you cannot have an MTB RD with a road FD. Both derrailleurs need to be the same.
Old 04-22-19, 11:38 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
You can mix MTB derrailerus with road shifters but you cannot have an MTB RD with a road FD. Both derrailleurs need to be the same.

Why would the MTB RD care if there is a road FD? The FD needs to match the tooth difference of the chainrings and the RD needs to accommodate the total tooth capacity of the system. If the road shifters will shift both MTB or road derailleurs, I dont see the issue.

SRAM makes a 2x mountain crankset that would fit within the tooth limitations of the Cutthroat frame. I've run a 42-28 with 11-36 cassette now for years and have loved the versatility there.
Old 04-22-19, 01:02 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper
Why would the MTB RD care if there is a road FD? If the road shifters will shift both MTB or road derailleurs, I dont see the issue.
electronic system compatibility
Old 04-22-19, 01:21 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/tanpan
Old 08-05-19, 09:02 AM
GUber

Bikes: Salsa Cutthroat * Niner Jet9 RDO

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Would a Sram XX 2x10 crank work with 11 spd cassette and shifters?
Old 08-05-19, 12:08 PM
jurth

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JWK
You make good points, most of which I've considered. 1x just isn't going to work for me. It might just be too difficult to get the gearing I desire on the cutthroat. It is just such a dedicated trail bike. I wish there was some gravel/road version of the cutthroat out there with the same (or close) ability for big tires. Eh, maybe I should refocus on a 650b bike. I'm 6' tall with a 34" inseam. I'm leary of the 650b size for my purposes.
I might be late to the tread, but just want to point you to Curve GMX, it seems very similar to the Cutthroat in terms of geometry and purpose. However it uses road crack, and support much bigger chainrings. It is titanium though, so it might not be what you are after.

/Jonas
Old 08-05-19, 06:15 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by jurth
I might be late to the tread, but just want to point you to Curve GMX, it seems very similar to the Cutthroat in terms of geometry and purpose. However it uses road crack, and support much bigger chainrings. It is titanium though, so it might not be what you are after.

/Jonas
Curve is very close to releasing the updated GMX frame version.

Mason ISO is a UK steel frameset option. Would need to contact them to confirm 2x possible, I think.