Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

which is better

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

which is better

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-05, 05:35 AM
Solarion

Bikes: Currently a Mongoose MGX DXR, but next year getting a Raleigh Passage 4.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
which is better

is trek generally better than raleigh? Im trying to decide whether to get a Raleigh Passage 4.0 or Trek 7200FX.
Old 09-20-05, 02:11 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
The Raleigh Passage 4 is more like a Trek hybrid than a Trek FX. It's got the suspension seatpost, adjustable stem, and front suspension fork like a Trek hybrid(7100-7700). The Raleigh does have the same click shifters of the FX. The other components are also pretty similar.

I don't think you could go wrong with either bike. My question to you is what type of rider are you or what kind of riding do you hope to do?

The Raleigh seems to be a bit more on the comfort side while the FX is more speed. I'm currently waiting on the '06 WSD FX bikes for my wife. We may well put an adjustable stem on the FX so she can be more upright, at least in the beginning.

Talk to the LBS, let them know what your lifestyle is so they can suggest a bike for you. Then make sure it fits you properly. Then ride it till they send the cops after you. Make sure it's the bike for you. If it's uncomfortable, you won't ride it no matter how cool it looks or how expensive it was.
Old 09-20-05, 04:41 PM
Solarion

Bikes: Currently a Mongoose MGX DXR, but next year getting a Raleigh Passage 4.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dont really want a lot of speed, just more than a mountain bike. I've ridden my friend's Passage and I like it, so I think that will work for me.
Old 09-22-05, 01:09 PM
bikingbets
loves rail-trails

Bikes: 2009 Kona Sutra, 2010 Kona Dew Plus, 2008 Raleigh Companion Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm the proud owner of a new silver/amber Raleigh Passage 4.0 and can tell you I absolutely love it. I didn't shop around; I love my lbs and wanted to support it, and they primarily sell Raleigh. I'm basically a rail-trail rider, so was looking for suspension to help with the scattered holes and rock sections that are encountered there. Also, it helps with a 40-something body.

I like to use it for cardio sessions when I need a break from the gym. I moved the adjustable stem forward and added bar ends in a drop position, which is a great way to get into a more efficient position and the heart rate up. I don't know if the Trek series has this option, but it is what sold me. The rapid fire shifting is an upgrade from the Passage 3.0 which I'm glad I chose.

I would wholeheartedly recommend the Passage 4.0! Keep us posted as to what you end up buying.
Old 09-22-05, 04:27 PM
Solarion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sure thing. it might be next summer though, because my parents will probably get it for me for my birthday