Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Eastern Canada
Reload this Page >

Just registered, Hamilton MTB

Search
Notices
Eastern Canada New Brunswick | Newfoundland and Labrador | Nova Scotia | Ontario | Prince Edward Island | Quebec

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-07, 02:06 PM
coasterx
Chaffing is your friend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sure glad I found these forums, I now have something to do while at work! Yay

Obviously, I'm from Hamilton area - technically Ancaster.

I used to race mountainbikes cross crountry (some downhill) hardcore, but a couple years of wife and kids and christmas turkeys later I find myself unable to compete anymore. However I now have a great riding partner, my wife.

Anyhow, we're looking forward to riding with some local clubs this year. Namely with the local bike shops.

Anyone here have any recommondations? I know bicycle works and peiriks cycle ride weekly so I'm hoping to hook up with them. We'll be fit enough for the intermediate rides, but the advanced rides may have to wait for a few more months. Granted, I'm sure everyone is out of shape this time of year.

Anyhow, Glad to have found an active cycling forum!!

Coasterx.
Old 03-29-07, 12:07 PM
rbart4506
You blink and it's gone.

Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey there!

I'm from the Dundas area and I've also got the best riding partner, my wife. We've been cycling together for the last 8 years, been married for 2 and a bit. We started as mountain bikers, but got sucked into the wonderful world of road riding a couple years ago. Since then the house has been basically rid of the mountain bikes, but we just recently added some cross bikes.

The only group rides we've been on is the ones running out of Freewheel. They are very good at building a road riding base if you are new, but can be a bit slow otherwise. The Ancaster rides, I have heard, can turn into a hammerfest...So we stay away from that...We tend to ride out Ancaster way at least 4 times a week and mix it up by heading out towards Flamborough/Waterdown.

Keep an eye out for a couple on matching red Roubaix's...

Rich
Old 03-30-07, 06:41 AM
coasterx
Chaffing is your friend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply

At this time, we're both hardcore mountain bikers however we're looking forward to getting into road riding. My wife went and bought a high end mountain bike this year so road riding will have to wait until next year when we by his & hers road bikes. I have a road bike now, but it was never fitted properly. I think it might be to big, I don't remember it's been so long lol. Now that I think of it, I'm going to clean it up tonight to see how it runs..... I think a good road ride is in order
Old 05-03-07, 06:54 PM
normalnorm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Hamilton and ride with the Scattalon group on the east mt. They have two groups. The "a" group avgs. about 30-35kms and hr and rides about 75-100kms. They ride wed and sunday. The "b" group avgs about 25kms and rides tues and sunday and ride about 35-60kms. The tuesday/wed. group go at 6 and the sunday group goes at 10....until may2-4, then it starts at 9.

I've rode with the ancaster group(a couple of years back)and they do hammer. I remember riding in August 04, and averaging 37kms thru flambrough for 3hrs. fast group. i've also heard they have toned it down abit though. talk to trevor the store owner of ancaster cycle and he will set you up, as far as the group speed.