Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Landscapers don't give me any respect...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-08, 12:06 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts

Pretty often I have to ride through clouds of cr@p thrown at me by landscapers with weedwackers, and it's kinda annoying the way those guys will just keep running those things even when a cyclist is going by. I know, they have a right to make a living and all, but flying rocks and stuff can hurt.

Well, yesterday, I had such an incident. The guy with the weedwacker saw me coming, and ignored me. He saw me ride through his cloud of flying debris. Then he saw me stop in the debris field and pick up something, which was a little piece of paper exactly the color of a Federal Reserve Note. Then he saw me pick up a second, larger piece of paper, also the color of a Federal Reserve Note, and also the same size, though one piece was torn away. He was close enough to see that it was a bill, but not close enough to see what denomination it was. Then he saw me put it all in my pocket and ride away. It seemed fair to me.

It was only a dollar, but maybe he thinks it was more.
Old 06-10-08, 12:17 PM
jpdesjar

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
nice one, maybe it will make him think about not flinging stuff your way next time

Old 06-10-08, 12:17 PM
Bryan T
orange claw hammer

Bikes: '00 IF Club Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those guys do not care about anyone besides themselves and the one signing their check. They likely have never thought for an instant that debris could project and damage a car finish, or someone's eye.

When I pass by that action, I close my right eye and squint through my left.
Old 06-10-08, 12:20 PM
bikeCarrot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't say I have that problem. I ride by a small university on my commute and Tuesday is the day they have their grounds done. They always stop as I go by and I always wave as a thanks.
Old 06-10-08, 12:31 PM
DavidLee
These go to 11.

Bikes: 06' Trek 7.5 FX, '09 Dawes Steel SST

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not a problem for me, most stop & wait for peds & cyclist. On the rare occasion one does not I do take into consideration they have most likely been out in the heat & blaring sun all day so I move left & look away. No big deal really.
Old 06-10-08, 12:34 PM
d2create

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They're getting paid $4/hr and feeding 10 kids. Cut'em some slack.
Old 06-10-08, 12:42 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Most of the time, they'll pause as I go by - which is a lot more consideration than they give cars.

I have a problem with the entire practice of blowing debris in the streets. Were I in a position to do so, it would be outlawed. Without even getting into the stormwater issues... it just seems wrong.
Old 06-10-08, 12:48 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
Most of the time, they'll pause as I go by - which is a lot more consideration than they give cars.

I have a problem with the entire practice of blowing debris in the streets. Were I in a position to do so, it would be outlawed. Without even getting into the stormwater issues... it just seems wrong.
The leaf/grass blower has to be one the worst inventions EVER from an environmental and noise perspective. Let's blow all the nutrients and moisture off the grass, put it in the storm sewers to wreak havoc on the lakes and streams while making a lot of noise and smog in the process.

Are perfectly trimmed lawns THAT important?
Old 06-10-08, 12:54 PM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'd say that better than 99% of the landscapers that I've passed over the past several years have stopped and waited for me to pass before continuing with what they were doing.
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 06-10-08, 12:57 PM
condiment

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to agree with most of the other posters in here that landscapers are probably some of the most cyclist-considerate people I encounter on my rides.
Old 06-10-08, 12:58 PM
lil brown bat

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh god, leaf blowers. I used to live in a town where there was this recovery organization, and every morning at 5:30 am these guys would be up leaf-blowing the main street in front of my building. I tried calling them to ease back on it, and the guy running the place went into this completely hysterical, self-righteous rant about how these guys were trying to turn their lives around and who did I think I was, etc. I asked him which of the twelve steps required blowing debris under people's bedroom windows at 5:30 in the morning and got an incoherent scream in response.

There's a certain type of person who gets deeply attached to anything with a two-stroke engine. I own a lawnmower, a weed-whacker and a chainsaw, but I'm always more than happy to shut 'em off. They're just not my idea of fun.
Old 06-10-08, 01:04 PM
tekknoschtev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am super conscious of this exact issue when I'm mowing my lawn or edging and such. I'm no landscaper, but I know how pissed I'd be if a rock came flying into my windshield or the equivalent of a sandblaster was used on the door of my car so I try to avoid the hypocrisy.

To that end, though, I know many of people (landscapers and normal homeowners) who don't care at all about the debris and when I'm driving I move out a lane. I haven't encountered this issue yet in my commute via bike, so I'm not sure how I'd react.
Old 06-10-08, 01:06 PM
jpdesjar

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
just as annoying as the neighbor across the street who likes to ride his dirt bike up and down the driveway about 30 times...that thing is so damned loud...drives me crazy
i wish he would just go find a trail...when i go out and practice wheelies on my bike at least it is peaceful

Old 06-10-08, 01:41 PM
MNBikeguy

Bikes: 05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 06-10-08, 01:46 PM
frymaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
The leaf/grass blower has to be one the worst inventions EVER from an environmental and noise perspective.
well, there's also the car.
Old 06-10-08, 02:30 PM
Az B
Fattest Thin Man

Bikes: Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Just sneak up behind them and blast the Airzound. That'll learn 'em.

Az
Old 06-10-08, 02:48 PM
SlimAgainSoon

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Crews downtown are trained to stop when you walk or ride by -- nice. But these are state workers keeping our state office buildings tidy (and they do a good job).

The problem I have with yard crews are the private guys and their long, wire trailers -- they are the worst for cutting me off when they pass.
Old 06-10-08, 02:51 PM
rturpen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Around Dallas I get plenty of respect from the landscapers. It is the jackasses in cars that give me grief.

Mod Edited out quote

Last edited by jaxgtr; 06-11-08 at 05:41 AM.
Old 06-10-08, 06:31 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
I have more trouble with people and their lawn sprinklers shooting out into the street. Pedestrians have it worse!
Old 06-10-08, 06:46 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by bmclaughlin807
I'd say that better than 99% of the landscapers that I've passed over the past several years have stopped and waited for me to pass before continuing with what they were doing.
+1

They don't do it for cars. I saw one landscaper put a rock through a car window once. Happened to be a JAM that passed me close - Karma.
Old 06-10-08, 06:56 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I don't care for leaf blowers, but when there is roadside work being done, which I encounter at least 1/wk I move to the far left of the lane giving 10' passing clearance. Leaf blowers in the desert always involve small rocks and lots of dust.

Al
Old 06-10-08, 08:44 PM
Vodalus
i won't f us over

Bikes: Raleigh Detour 3.0, Specialized Allez SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Pretty often I have to ride through clouds of cr@p thrown at me by landscapers with weedwackers, and it's kinda annoying the way those guys will just keep running those things even when a cyclist is going by. I know, they have a right to make a living and all, but flying rocks and stuff can hurt.

Well, yesterday, I had such an incident. The guy with the weedwacker saw me coming, and ignored me. He saw me ride through his cloud of flying debris. Then he saw me stop in the debris field and pick up something, which was a little piece of paper exactly the color of a Federal Reserve Note. Then he saw me pick up a second, larger piece of paper, also the color of a Federal Reserve Note, and also the same size, though one piece was torn away. He was close enough to see that it was a bill, but not close enough to see what denomination it was. Then he saw me put it all in my pocket and ride away. It seemed fair to me.

As a member of the same broad umbrella of "outdoor service industry employees" let me just say that Landscapers (particularly mowing crews) are the lowest of the low. I can't even count the number of times some dope on a mower has come within inches of my when i'm working and blown grass, stones, sticks, etc all over me. They don't give you any respect becausee they don't respect themselves.
Old 06-10-08, 08:53 PM
ok_commuter
bulletproof tiger

Bikes: Waterford 2200, Litespeed Tuscany, Salsa La Cruz, Kona Fire Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm

If that weed-whacking dude was ever one of those folks who thought that people ride bikes b/c they're poor or have DUIs... imagine how he must have laughed inside when he saw some poor cyclist stop his route, get off his bike, and greedily snarf up a thrashed one dollar bill. Weed whacker dude didn't even bother to pick up the bill, he just thrashed it with his wacker. Sweet.
Old 06-10-08, 08:55 PM
Vodalus
i won't f us over

Bikes: Raleigh Detour 3.0, Specialized Allez SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've also found that if they get snarky with you, it is best to point at a flower bed and tell them they missed a weed. they usually either look and then get pissed off, or just straight away get pissed off.
Old 06-10-08, 09:00 PM
unkchunk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not had a problem with landscapers weed whacking, edging or blowing. They mostly will pause until I pass by. Landscaper tucks towing trailers... that's a completely different story.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.