Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

That dog that chased me last week...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-08, 10:13 PM
JinbaIttai
P7 Fanboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I chased it yesterday.

I work in an industrial park and on the occasional weekend I'd see a pair of junkyard dogs get loose and roam around all day. It was always humorous to see from inside my car, until the sobering thought occurred to me that one day I might encounter those dogs while riding. Well that day came.

Last week:
I spotted them long before they spotted me, so I instinctively turned down a side street to avoid the confrontation. I thought about it and realized it was a perfect opportunity to experience being chased in a pretty safe environment (daylight, wide street, no cars around, dry pavement). So I turned around and cruised back down the street. I couldn't wipe the stupid grin off my face. Then one went for me.

I was surprised how fast he was. He stayed even with my back tire for (what seemed like 10 seconds) all of 3 seconds before tiring and spinning out in the grass on the side of the road. What a feeling though, to have a dog barking just a couple of feet from your legs!

Yesterday:
I saw the same dog, again long before he spotted me. He happened to be stationary on the shoulder of the road. I gunned it straight for him, full speed. When he saw me, he kind of hesitated for a second. Perhaps he wasn't expecting something bigger to chase him. Then he took off running away from me. Now that felt great! I admit I only followed for a couple of seconds until he made a sharp U-turn, but that was all I needed.
Old 12-27-08, 10:19 PM
Big_e
Strong with the Fred

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, it's funny to chase them to see the suprised look on their faces when they realize a human easily go just as fast as they can. When I'm on my MTB, they can't get away and I chase them back to their porches.
Ernest