Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Chain getting stuck between chainrings

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-09, 12:58 PM
kpug505

Bikes: Motobecane Mirage fixed gear, Nashbar Alpha Road 5000, Bianchi Grizzly, Coppi Fiorelli, , Schwinn Trike, , GT All Terra, Old Peugeot, Nishiki 3 speed, Bugatti, Cannondale Black Lightning, Dura All, Bianchi Touring, Bridgestone T700 & more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

So I recently sold a bike to a fella and it does something weird. While shifting from the middle chainring to the big one sometimes the chain just skates around between the chainrings and often just gets stuck. It's a triple and it doesn't happen between the middle and small one. I fiddled with it myself and adjusted the front derailleur to the best of my ability and it still did it so I took it to a shop. He started adjusting it and quickly broke the clamp so he replaced the derailleur and adjusted it. It still sucks the chain between the chainrings.

What could it be? The limit screws are adjusted properly so it doesn't fall off to the in/outside.

Check out my bike blog!
Old 09-18-09, 01:36 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Wild guess? Wrong size chain (too narrow)?
Old 09-18-09, 01:38 PM
delicious

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
i was having this problem while using a slightly worn chain; replacing it with a new one eliminated it.
Old 09-18-09, 02:11 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
One of the rings may be machined slightly offset, and is installed reverse of what it should be. Examine to see if the chainring bolts are sitting recessed as they should (though not applicable on some French cranksets, particularly Stronglight).

Alternately, the chain might simply be too narrow for the purpose - is it a 9 speed chain, by any chance? Try putting on one of those wide Taya chains in its place.

-Kurt

Old 09-18-09, 03:06 PM
Fivethumbs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
One of the rings may be machined slightly offset, and is installed reverse of what it should be. Examine to see if the chainring bolts are sitting recessed as they should (though not applicable on some French cranksets, particularly Stronglight).

Alternately, the chain might simply be too narrow for the purpose - is it a 9 speed chain, by any chance? Try putting on one of those wide Taya chains in its place.

-Kurt
+1...This happened to me. I was in a hurry swapping out some chainrings onto another set of crank arms and installed the small ring backwards. The chain kept falling in between until I flipped it around.
Old 09-18-09, 04:36 PM
kpug505

Bikes: Motobecane Mirage fixed gear, Nashbar Alpha Road 5000, Bianchi Grizzly, Coppi Fiorelli, , Schwinn Trike, , GT All Terra, Old Peugeot, Nishiki 3 speed, Bugatti, Cannondale Black Lightning, Dura All, Bianchi Touring, Bridgestone T700 & more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the hints and info...He's coming over this evening so I'll slap a new chain on it and check to make sure the rings are installed properly.

Learn something new every day!

Check out my bike blog!