Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

how to clean cement from sprint rims

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-13, 04:28 PM
aljohn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I want to clean my sprint rims, nothing seemed to work in the past that easily. Someone suggested petrol?
What would any of you guys use, I don't want to ruin them?
Old 02-08-13, 04:38 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
If the rims are aluminum, virtually they'll be immune to all petroleum solvents, glue removers, etc. Carbon rims are a different story, and I'd forgo solvents for mechanical removal.

BTW- Why do you want to remove the glue. Old glue makes an excellent base/primer for new glue, and I never remove it. For me eyeletted aluminum rims are like old jeans. I hate them when they're brand new, and the raised edges of the eyelets can cut tires. Over time the glue builds up, making a nice base custom curved to exactly match my tires. They continue to get better until finally they die a sudden death in a deep pot hole or something similar.

If there's lots of unsightly glue ar the edges, shave it off with a fairly dull pocket knife, but otherwise leave the glue alone.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-08-13, 05:42 PM
aljohn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like that idea, but the glue is a bit lumpy. Also I want to sell them so I'd like them as good as I can get them. I'm replacing them with the wheels I shall be building.... I hope ;-)
Old 02-08-13, 05:46 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by aljohn
I like that idea, but the glue is a bit lumpy. Also I want to sell them so I'd like them as good as I can get them. I'm replacing them with the wheels I shall be building.... I hope ;-)
In that case, if you have a bench grinder you can use a wire wheel. It does a great job (keep moving so it doesn't get hot), but I wouldn't use it on CF rims. (Wear real goggles, wire wheels routinely shed wires which fly off at 110 feet/sec (80mph)

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.