Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

New member to the single speed club- 09 Jamis Sputnik

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-13, 12:43 PM
jonny4947

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just picked this bad boy up on CL for 160- its an 08 or 09 i think. I really like it- its fast and much more efficient than my mountain bike. The ergonomics seem really aggressive. Some of the allen screws are a bit rusty, and I had to tape the brake cable to the bike because the plastic piece holding it on had broken, but for 160, I can't really complain.

Only problem is- with my mtn bike, it was so inefficient that it was a great workout. With this one, I'm gonna have to go far to give my legs the same run for their money.

I was thinkin of changing the cog to a lower? gear- I'm in chicago and its very flat riding. Also might install a quick release for the front wheel.

Also thinkin of a helmet mirror, and I definitely need new bike lights (rear and front). If you had to choose, would you mount the headlamp on helmet or handlebars (don't even know if they could go on the handlebars yet though.

I tried to upload a pic, but the site said file was too large (around 3.5 megabytes).
Old 10-06-13, 06:54 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Gawd, the silly bugger's in love

You'll find you'll automatically ride further and more so don't worry about the workout.
Unless you've got a reason to regularly pull the front wheel, you don't need a quick release and it's not hard to carry a spanner in your tool kit.

Gearing - you mean going to a smaller cog for a higher gear Take it carefully though, lots of people overgear thinking that seeing it's flat, they don't need low gears when in reality, all they need to do is learn to pedal faster - cadence takes on a whole new meaning with fg and people used to geared bikes are essentially lazy in that respect. Aim for about 70 gear inches to start with, change after a good few hundred miles. Here's a good gear calculator (though there are others) https://software.bareknucklebrigade.c...it.applet.html

You've probably got the software already on your computer to reduce the size of your photo - the standard windows offerings do a reasonable job. You can also use https://cyclebucket.com/ which not only hosts your photo on the web but will resize it for you if you ask it to.

Mirrors. Some people love them, I took mine off - got sick of having to re-adjust it all the time. It's a suck it and see job and well worth giving a try if you ride in traffic. They aren't a silver bullet though, more a bandaid even if they are a very useful one.

Lights on the bike first. If you can afford extras, it doesn't hurt to have a rear blinky on your helmet, not sure about a front blinky (but I have an exceptionally bright head light).

Now stop planning changes and go out and ride the thing
Old 10-06-13, 08:27 PM
jonny4947

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by europa
Now stop planning changes and go out and ride the thing
Actually, I just got back an hour ago from a 7 mile trek. I love the thing.
Old 10-07-13, 04:14 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
7 miles? Go ride it again.
Likes For seau grateau: