Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Old 03-06-15, 04:55 PM
SBUndefeated201

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Look at photos and you can see it all.

Also, specific questions get specific answers.
Simply enough haha. Thanks!
Old 03-06-15, 04:56 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by nspace
.............. The frame definitely as asymmetrical chainstays as well. .........................
You could check the half q (distance from centerline of seat tube to crank at the pedal hole) for each crank. If the same then you are fine.
Old 03-06-15, 05:55 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by SBUndefeated201
I'm always interested in seeing what other people use component-wise in their setups. What do olympic/national tend to use? I've tried looking online but haven't found certain components. I know Mavic iO + Comete is the standard for wheels, but what do most athletes use for cranks, handlebars (integrated bar and stem I suppose), pedals, saddles? I also assume parts and specs are fairly consistent across the board due to regulations.

Not that I am ever going to have a bike setup like this, but I am always curious when watching clips.
Here's stuff that's pretty consistent:
iO/Comete (though Dutchies use PRO disc/5spoke, FFWD has a foothold, and some enduros use spoked carbon wheels).
in the sprint field, almost everyone is on 3T Scattos.
some national teams use custom suppliers - GB, Germany, and to a lesser extent Australia.

Everthing else is a mishmash. For cranks, it always looks like Dura-Ace are the most widely used. Some Campag Record, some Sugino 75, and a few Omnium. Frames - a very wide variety. There aren't that many integrated bar/stems out there. There also aren't many regulations that cover stems, seatposts, bars, saddles, or pedals. So people just use whatever they like.
Old 03-06-15, 07:49 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Have a look through these photos to see what the elite are using Canadian Cyclist - Photo Galleries
Old 03-06-15, 08:30 PM
nspace

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quinn8it
Maybe swap them out for ones that say Dura Ace on them?
Thanks for your help...

@700wheel: Sorry I meant to write symmetrical!

Here are couple photos. Maybe this all looks normal, but it would be good to get a second set of eyes! I might be worrying over nothing.

Last edited by nspace; 03-06-15 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-06-15, 10:35 PM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
Everthing else is a mishmash. For cranks, it always looks like Dura-Ace are the most widely used. Some Campag Record, some Sugino 75, and a few Omnium. Frames - a very wide variety. There aren't that many integrated bar/stems out there. There also aren't many regulations that cover stems, seatposts, bars, saddles, or pedals. So people just use whatever they like.
There are also several teams running on a budget smaller than what I spend on lunch in a week, so they tend to be using 'whatever the heck they can'.

Ive always been curious how a country like Cuba performs at the level they do. Ive heard stories that things as simple as a bike pump are hard to come by there.
Old 03-06-15, 11:57 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
42mm chainline? Seems right. 40.5-42 is normal. Also, you can line up the crank with the seat tube. Measure center of crank to edge of seat tube. Repeat on other side. If your BB is adjustable, then you can shift it over in the direction it needs to go. 42mm is standard for 120mm track spacing.

Last edited by taras0000; 03-07-15 at 12:05 AM.
Old 03-07-15, 12:16 AM
SBUndefeated201

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks QueerPunk and Dalai!
Old 03-07-15, 09:23 AM
nspace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by taras0000
42mm chainline? Seems right. 40.5-42 is normal. Also, you can line up the crank with the seat tube. Measure center of crank to edge of seat tube. Repeat on other side. If your BB is adjustable, then you can shift it over in the direction it needs to go. 42mm is standard for 120mm track spacing.
Thank you! I'm not sure how adjustable it is, but depending on the measurement I could always try flipping the BB to see what chainline it produces.
Old 03-07-15, 11:26 AM
700wheel

If nothing else solves your problem you could shim one of the pedals to center the pedals relative to the seat tube.
Old 03-07-15, 05:09 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by nspace
Thank you! I'm not sure how adjustable it is, but depending on the measurement I could always try flipping the BB to see what chainline it produces.
You can't flip the BB as the cups are threaded differently (lefthand/righthand). Flipping the spindle won't work unless it's asymmetrical, which it usually isn't (it's rare if it is, this is usually only done when the BB/rear wheel are offset, like on fatbikes). If it's not exactly 42mm, but your cog is 42mm, then it's near enough that it doesn't make a difference. You can measure this by measuring the flanges on your track hubs, divide by 2 to get flange spacing from the centerline, then add the difference from the cog to the DS flange. Spoke flanges on track wheels are symmetrical. Then if you're the anal type, you can measure the centerline to trackend on each side and see if your wheels are centered, lol.
Old 03-07-15, 06:14 PM
nspace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by taras0000
You can't flip the BB as the cups are threaded differently (lefthand/righthand). Flipping the spindle won't work unless it's asymmetrical, which it usually isn't (it's rare if it is, this is usually only done when the BB/rear wheel are offset, like on fatbikes). If it's not exactly 42mm, but your cog is 42mm, then it's near enough that it doesn't make a difference. You can measure this by measuring the flanges on your track hubs, divide by 2 to get flange spacing from the centerline, then add the difference from the cog to the DS flange. Spoke flanges on track wheels are symmetrical. Then if you're the anal type, you can measure the centerline to trackend on each side and see if your wheels are centered, lol.
I was thinking just the spindle, not the cups—but I think it is close enough. I would expect it to be symmetrical but Campagnolo lists it as asymmetrical. Chainline on rear cog is about 42/42.5mm. I rode it for an hour and a half today and things seemed to hum along smoothly. I will stop worrying about things now
Old 03-09-15, 08:49 AM
Velocirapture

Bikes: S-1 :-D

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm waaay overdue for a bike-'computer' upgrade, and after looking around it seems that the Garmin edge 500/ 510 looks the way to go. I'm leaning towards the 500 at the moment due to price difference, but my concern is redundancy now that that unit has been on the market since 2009. Anyone have any insights at all?

thanks
Old 03-09-15, 10:06 AM
700wheel

Track standing is not the only, or the best way to get yourself in to the trailing position...
Unless you are competing in a Longest Lap competition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUjg...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-09-15, 11:07 AM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 700wheel
Unless you are competing in a Longest Lap competition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUjg...ature=youtu.be
yeh I get it.. Everybody is going to jump all over me with Proof that Track Stands are the cornerstone of succeeding as a track racer..

I never said I never do them, the OP asked about practicingTrack stands on the track- which sounds like a pretty lousy use of track time, especially for the OP who has done little to no match sprinting or racing..

Sorry if I think that learning how to make a bike go really fast is basically the only way to win bike races- don't forget, after your track stand you will still have to race to the line..
Old 03-09-15, 12:31 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocirapture
I'm waaay overdue for a bike-'computer' upgrade, and after looking around it seems that the Garmin edge 500/ 510 looks the way to go. I'm leaning towards the 500 at the moment due to price difference, but my concern is redundancy now that that unit has been on the market since 2009. Anyone have any insights at all?

thanks
I think it's fine for track. The SRM PowerControl V is older than that and is still in use.

The main features of the 510 are:

- Connected features such as live tracking, send/receive courses, social media sharing and weather
- Compatible with GPS and GLONASS satellites for faster satellite acquisition
- Distance, speed, ascent/descent and GPS position
- Wireless data transfers to Garmin Connect
- Activity profiles store preferences for different cycling activities
None of which matter for track.
Old 03-09-15, 12:57 PM
Quinn8it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
510 is also quite a bit bigger...

ive got 2 500's. There are some improvements I'd like to see, but it's basically the best head unit for the money.
Old 03-09-15, 02:14 PM
Yellowgiant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am struggling with my warm up before my 200m sprint qualifications. Ive been warming up on my road bike on the rollers so I can increase resistance and put a bit of a load on my legs beforehand. But I'm not sure if that's the right formula?

I hoping I can get some more advice on how to be fully warmed before my heat.
Old 03-09-15, 02:16 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Yellowgiant
I am struggling with my warm up before my 200m sprint qualifications. Ive been warming up on my road bike on the rollers so I can increase resistance and put a bit of a load on my legs beforehand. But I'm not sure if that's the right formula?

I hoping I can get some more advice on how to be fully warmed before my heat.
are there times in training when you've felt really perfectly warmed up and ready to go?
Old 03-09-15, 02:20 PM
Yellowgiant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
are there times in training when you've felt really perfectly warmed up and ready to go?
Ya but it was after a 20-30 lap paceline with a burnout to finish it off.
Old 03-09-15, 02:48 PM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocirapture

thanks
I use the 500 on the track and the road, and it works quite well. The 510 is, however, easier to switch between bikes; I plan to get one when my 500 dies.
Old 03-09-15, 02:52 PM
Quinn8it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yellowgiant
Ya but it was after a 20-30 lap paceline with a burnout to finish it off.
Are we assuming zero track time?

i replicate the 20-30 laps by doing 20min on the rollers in my normal warm-up gear.
8min@100rpm/8min@110rpm/4min@120rpm.. A couple of 15" max-revs are good after that, but I'll then need to do jumps on the track..

If i have zero track time, which I find rarely happens before the 200m- but often happens before the kilo, then I'll use an Adjustable Resistance Mag Trainer with my Track Bike.
Old 03-09-15, 03:00 PM
Yellowgiant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i replicate the 20-30 laps by doing 20min on the rollers in my normal warm-up gear.
8min@100rpm/8min@110rpm/4min@120rpm.. A couple of 15" max-revs are good after that, but I'll then need to do jumps on the track..

If i have zero track time, which I find rarely happens before the 200m- but often happens before the kilo, then I'll use an Adjustable Resistance Mag Trainer with my Track Bike.

This is helpful.

I am referring to zero track time. But I like the 20 mins on the rollers you listed.

I had a feeling the the trainer was the only real way to go to get the right load.
Old 03-09-15, 05:17 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts

+1

It's common for elites (like quinn) to get little to no track time before an event. It's totally possible to get ready using rollers...even before big strength efforts like a kilo.
Old 03-10-15, 02:45 AM
Velocirapture

Bikes: S-1 :-D

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input, folk.

Originally Posted by rensho3
I use the 500 on the track and the road, and it works quite well. The 510 is, however, easier to switch between bikes; I plan to get one when my 500 dies.
@rensho3, can you explain a little more about this?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.