Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Effects of Amateur doing a Pro Cyclist training schedule

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-14, 12:43 AM
CanadianBiker32

Bikes: Maxim, Rocky Mountain, Argon 18, Cervelo S2 Team

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Just like some feedback of what would happen if an amateur cyclist who does local events and other ones here and there.
Took on a training schedule similar to the top pros, that is if time frame allows for that

so a schedule like this for example
1 hour a day is high intensity stuff. If my memory serves it's something like this.

Morning: 3 hour ride with about 20-30 minutes of harder efforts or intervals.
Break, rest & eat:
Mid-day: 45 minutes of running, weights or other exercise.
Break, rest & eat:
Evening: 3 hour ride at moderate pace. Or, 4 hour ride at slow pace.

This is done about 6 days a week.

Now would it be possible for that cyclist to see great gains on a big devoted training schedule like this?
Or would there be a major possibility for burnout or a decrease in fitness

as considering the pros are born that way and have the natural ability to endure more

Like some feedback on this.
Old 03-16-14, 03:41 AM
Wesley36

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is not good training advice, and I can guarantee you, pros are not doing an hour a day of high intensity stuff. If one tries to do high intensity stuff everyday, one fails to recover, and puts out mediocre power day after day. Make the easy days easy, and the hard days hard. Trying to make all days hard just ignores the need for your body to recover, and therefore destroys your fitness in the long term.

These articles come to mind off the top of my head:
The Intensity Trap | CyclingTips
8 Things That Make The PROs Different | CyclingTips

But really, if you want a good answer to your question, you need to read something like Friel's "The Cyclists Training Bible".

There is no training plan that is the same, or mostly the same, day after day, week after week, because that would be counter-productive.
Old 03-16-14, 06:31 AM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Burnout.
Old 03-16-14, 10:08 AM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by robabeatle
Burnout.
Understatement of the century.

More like "legs fall off after four days - if it takes that long".
Old 03-16-14, 10:15 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
There are two major differences between pros and most of us: VO2max and recovery ability. These are both genetic talents. If you really knew how a pro trained, which you don't and which most of us don't because they don't tell, and tried to train like that you would burn out in a couple weeks. There are pros without tremendous talent in the former, but the latter talent is essential.

OTOH, it doesn't hurt to see what you've got. The worst is that you'll have to take a couple weeks off.

The program you quote is not off the wall. 500 miles/week or more for some pros. 75 hard in the morning, 75 moderate in the afternoon. Hey, give it a try.
Old 03-16-14, 10:21 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by CanadianBiker32

1 hour a day is high intensity stuff. If my memory serves it's something like this.

Break, rest & eat:
Break, rest & eat:

This looks like a recipe for overtraining and eventual burnout... And how could an average "weekend warrior", who has a full-time job and other daily responsibilities follow such a training routine for 6 days per week ??
Old 03-16-14, 12:48 PM
nkfrench 

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
I think Mom and Dad would evict me from the basement after about a week of that schedule, assuming I survived that long.
Old 03-16-14, 01:16 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I doubt there is much of a genetic component to 'recovery ability'. To train like a pro you need to love cycling and be willing to do what it takes to allow yourself to train full time. For most Pro riders that means accepting a fairly low standard of living. It would be difficult to train 25-30 hrs/wk and still hold down a regular job. They're either training or resting.

Most riders could train at similar levels to a pro but it's not something that happens overnight. It might take 3-5 yrs of progressive increases in training time to get there however. During that time you could achieve dramatic increases in power and VO2Max which are both very trainable. Pretty much any racer capable of reaching the Cat 3 level could progress to the Pro/1/2 races with sufficient training. The problem is not many like cycling enough to train with as much volume as is required.

If you go on Strava there are a number of pros who post there ride data, including power. They don't necessarily post all their rides but there are certainly stretches of how they train during a week. You can start with Taylor Phinney, Dominique Rollin, Ted King and I'm sure there are many others.
Old 03-16-14, 08:32 PM
beatlebee 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
I doubt there is much of a genetic component to 'recovery ability'. To train like a pro you need to love cycling and be willing to do what it takes to allow yourself to train full time. For most Pro riders that means accepting a fairly low standard of living. It would be difficult to train 25-30 hrs/wk and still hold down a regular job. They're either training or resting.

Most riders could train at similar levels to a pro but it's not something that happens overnight. It might take 3-5 yrs of progressive increases in training time to get there however. During that time you could achieve dramatic increases in power and VO2Max which are both very trainable. Pretty much any racer capable of reaching the Cat 3 level could progress to the Pro/1/2 races with sufficient training. The problem is not many like cycling enough to train with as much volume as is required.

If you go on Strava there are a number of pros who post there ride data, including power. They don't necessarily post all their rides but there are certainly stretches of how they train during a week. You can start with Taylor Phinney, Dominique Rollin, Ted King and I'm sure there are many others.
Do you race?
Old 03-16-14, 08:35 PM
gregf83 

Do you race?
About 5-10 times/yr, mostly crits. Why?
Old 03-16-14, 08:38 PM
beatlebee 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
About 5-10 times/yr, mostly crits. Why?
Well, I find your statement that reaching the pro/1 level is possible for anyone who can train enough suspect. I just started last year and find it hard to believe but what do I know.
Old 03-16-14, 08:44 PM
gregf83 

Well, I find your statement that reaching the pro/1 level is possible for anyone who can train enough suspect. I just started last year and find it hard to believe but what do I know.
Are you a Cat 3? I said if you could get to Cat 3 you could, with sufficient training, go up a Cat or two. I also said it would be difficult to train at that level unless you weren't working.
Old 03-16-14, 09:12 PM
beatlebee 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It doesn’t take much at all really to get to cat 3, per the rulebook. I hear that there is a big jump to cat 2 (let alone cat1) and I see guys who dominated cat 4 now as pack fodder in the 3s. I believe that I give more deference to genetics.

<shrug>
Old 03-17-14, 02:33 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
For the pros, training like that is their job. They get paid to do it and have at their disposal a wide range of services and products. The best have an overwhelming desire to succeed and will do whatever it takes to win.

Sure, you can train like them. Give it a go and tell us how it turns out.
Old 03-19-14, 07:04 PM
Zero7
More Speed = More Work

Bikes: Wilier Zero7, Litespeed Tuscany, Santa Cruz Superlight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You would first have to work up to that heavy a training schedule, or you'll either injure yourself, or run yourself into the ground.

If you DO work up to it, then you should be fine - and see a large increase in fitness. However, you might want to start with something like Carmichael's (CTS) program - that will give you a taste of high intensity.

Cheers
Old 03-20-14, 09:09 AM
dm83

Bikes: 2013 Allez, 2013 Sirrus, 1984 Legend Compe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where's the resistance training ? The rest days? What's your diet ? This isn't similar at all to what a real athlete does. As others say, you're asking for overuse injuries with that schedule.
Old 03-20-14, 09:34 AM
cafzali

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CanadianBiker32
Just like some feedback of what would happen if an amateur cyclist who does local events and other ones here and there.
Took on a training schedule similar to the top pros, that is if time frame allows for that

Break, rest & eat:
Break, rest & eat:

Now would it be possible for that cyclist to see great gains on a big devoted training schedule like this?
Or would there be a major possibility for burnout or a decrease in fitness

as considering the pros are born that way and have the natural ability to endure more

Like some feedback on this.
Many pros are regular contributors to Strava. While you can't necessarily assume they post all of their rides, seldom will you see them do more than 3 hours in a given day.

As others have pointed out, the body is incredibly efficient, which means that in many cases if you push it too far or improperly, it gets so efficient that you won't see any gains and at a certain point will start to protect itself from potential damage. Thus, just riding hard day after day is likely to generate a decrease in power, stamina and efficiency. And that doesn't even take into account that eating becomes critically important anytime you're doing high intensity training. Not eating ride is what gets as many people in trouble as not training enough.
Old 03-20-14, 09:35 AM
bmontgomery87

Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That training "template" looks awful.

Pro's have taken the time to adapt their bodies to that kind of stress. They have the capacity to do it, and the drugs to recover from it.
Riding 6+ hours on a regular basis as a beginner is a recipe for disaster.