Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

So are the days of our lives...

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

So are the days of our lives...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-14, 11:41 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
i'm in the market for an aero bike. was thinking ridley, foil or a venge, since I favor stiff frames. I guess it'll just boil down to price.
Old 11-24-14, 11:44 AM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
i'm in the market for an aero bike. was thinking ridley, foil or a venge, since I favor stiff frames. I guess it'll just boil down to price.
Giant Propel.
Old 11-24-14, 11:53 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
Giant Propel.
too expensive.

unless you're talking non-sl version. I haven't looked at giatns very much. what's good about them?

Last edited by spectastic; 11-24-14 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-24-14, 12:00 PM
bmcphx
Banned.

Bikes: Black Incs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
too expensive.
I'm confused by ignoring propel because too expensive, but considering venge, etc.

The propel is a good looking bike, but to me it's like a really attractive woman with a terrible personality, it's just ruined once you get down to it. I went to look at them at my local Giant dealer and was turned off by the whole bike/dealer/service/build kit.

But it's hot, so I really want to like it maybe I'll just get on top of one and hammer the **** out of it anyway, just to say I did.
Old 11-24-14, 12:00 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
too expensive.

unless you're talking non-sl version. I haven't looked at giatns very much. what's good about them?
I don't own a Propel, but do own a Giant TCR Advanced and a Scott Foil. I personally don't care for the Foil. I think Giant makes a great bike for the $$ spent. You can pick up a Propel for as low as ~$2kish I think (105 group).

If you believe the testing hype, the Propel tests very well in the aero department. Its also lighter than most of the other aero offerings (save maybe the Team Issue Foil) stiffer in the BB than most of the others, too. I'm not sure about the brake setup on them though. I'll be checking them out once they make their way into the local shop.
Old 11-24-14, 12:07 PM
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like my Noah RS. Decently stiff and aero. Got it for a good deal on comp cyclist.
Old 11-24-14, 12:21 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
yea I saw the published data on the propel sl vs others like s5, venge, foil. It looks more like advertising than a legit sited source though.

the thing is the giant propel is kind of new, right? there aren't many frames that are a little older that you can buy used for cheap. That's why I was looking more at venge, ridley and foil, because they seem to have been around longer. There are more used bikes online with these models, and therefore the prices are lower. I mean every year, they come out with a new bike with a new pj, and throw in some bull**** about how they revolutionized their carbon layup to make the bike lighter and stiffer. It's all white smoke to me. I'd rather get a 2012 frame for half the price of a 2014 frame.

and to my understanding, foil and ridley are two bikes that are a nice compromise between stiffness and aero profile, so that's my thinking right now.
Old 11-24-14, 12:32 PM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yea I saw the published data on the propel sl vs others like s5, venge, foil. It looks more like advertising than a legit sited source though.

the thing is the giant propel is kind of new, right? there aren't many frames that are a little older that you can buy used for cheap. That's why I was looking more at venge, ridley and foil, because they seem to have been around longer. There are more used bikes online with these models, and therefore the prices are lower. I mean every year, they come out with a new bike with a new pj, and throw in some bull**** about how they revolutionized their carbon layup to make the bike lighter and stiffer. It's all white smoke to me. I'd rather get a 2012 frame for half the price of a 2014 frame.

and to my understanding, foil and ridley are two bikes that are a nice compromise between stiffness and aero profile, so that's my thinking right now.
I've got a 2012 Felt AR1 that I love but wouldn't be opposed to letting go...
Old 11-24-14, 12:40 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Creatre
I like my Noah RS. Decently stiff and aero. Got it for a good deal on comp cyclist.
so what's the RS? I can't find it on their website. all of their noah's have the integrated seat post.
Old 11-24-14, 12:41 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rkwaki
I've got a 2012 Felt AR1 that I love but wouldn't be opposed to letting go...
are you selling it?
Old 11-24-14, 12:42 PM
misterwaterfall

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was going to say Felt or Fuji. My SST won cat 3 group sprints like a champ!
Old 11-24-14, 12:48 PM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This kind of thing of thing happening close to home always shakes me. I've ridden by this spot no fewer than 50x/year for about 10 years now.

Bicyclist killed after being hit by truck in Gaithersburg, police say - The Washington Post

Old 11-24-14, 01:09 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MDcatV
This kind of thing of thing happening close to home always shakes me. I've ridden by this spot no fewer than 50x/year for about 10 years now.

Bicyclist killed after being hit by truck in Gaithersburg, police say - The Washington Post

was he rear ended or something?
Old 11-24-14, 01:10 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
The wind and humidity in the 20's, my allergies have gone into overdrive. I've also had to chug water at 2am just to stay hydrated.

@spectastic I'd again go with the Propel, but then again the aero market is hazy. Everyone has their own tests and fashions the results and variables in the best interest of their bike design. Cervelo put an aircraft wing in front and called it a handlebar just to have the fastest bike out there.
Old 11-24-14, 01:14 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
The wind and humidity in the 20's, my allergies have gone into overdrive. I've also had to chug water at 2am just to stay hydrated.

@spectastic I'd again go with the Propel, but then again the aero market is hazy. Everyone has their own tests and fashions the results and variables in the best interest of their bike design. Cervelo put an aircraft wing in front and called it a handlebar just to have the fastest bike out there.
there are people in north Dakota who would happily switch places with you.

I'm not getting that fancy cervelo handlebar. I'd have to buy a new mount for my gopro. screw that
Old 11-24-14, 03:19 PM
jsutkeepspining
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by echappist
Selling the silver spoon you were born with?
Actually i just sell myself on the street. Ps Ri Ra happy hour is tonight...half price apps and $5 draught beers!
Old 11-24-14, 03:26 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
not my color of choice, but it was cheap. about $860 shipped. dunno if it included the bb bearings or the headset though. forgot to ask

gonna be a sweet build. gonna race crits with it. haven't decided which bike to sell yet, the aluminum training bike, or my current marin stelvio racing bike. definitely not selling the fixie beater, I'd rather give that one away.

I thought 6700 group would be cheaper now that there's the new fancy 11 speed. But evidently now. really want to keep it 10 speed to match my training bike, but also want the new crankset...
Old 11-24-14, 03:30 PM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not my color of choice, but it was cheap. about $860 shipped. dunno if it included the bb bearings or the headset though. forgot to ask

gonna be a sweet build. gonna race crits with it. haven't decided which bike to sell yet, the aluminum training bike, or my current marin stelvio racing bike. definitely not selling the fixie beater, I'd rather give that one away.

I thought 6700 group would be cheaper now that there's the new fancy 11 speed. But evidently now. really want to keep it 10 speed to match my training bike, but also want the new crankset...
He is a really good guy (I've dealt with him before) - builds himself some sweet bikes.
Old 11-24-14, 03:38 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I've raced the Venge, the Ridley, and the Foil. Of the three I'd suggest the Ridley. The Venge bottom bracket is low-ish, the bike itself isn't all that stiff. The Foil is uber stiff but not always in a good way. The Ridley falls in a sweet spot.

The Propel has a lot of good stuff going for it. Just haven't ridden one.
Old 11-24-14, 03:48 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
I've raced the Venge, the Ridley, and the Foil. Of the three I'd suggest the Ridley. The Venge bottom bracket is low-ish, the bike itself isn't all that stiff. The Foil is uber stiff but not always in a good way. The Ridley falls in a sweet spot.

I hear this a lot. I have a Giant TCR Advanced (2012) and a Scott Foil 20 (2012). I had the Giant for almost a year before getting the Foil. I think I've mentioned this before, but when I first took the Foil out I had to stop a few times because I thought I had a flat tire. Turns out the BB was just nowhere near as stiff as the TCR (same wheels, saddle, and bars [stem was as close as could be with the Giant being a 1 1/4]). I'm not sure if this a Scott HMF/HMX thing or what the deal is.
Old 11-24-14, 04:02 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jsutkeepspining
Actually i just sell myself on the street. Ps Ri Ra happy hour is tonight...half price apps and $5 draught beers!
man, I've been living here long enough now that I was like "who from Apple/Google is sponsoring a frat party?"
Old 11-24-14, 04:03 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex

foil is best. nyah nyah nyah you're wrong.
Old 11-24-14, 04:06 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jsutkeepspining
Ride over next thurs evening (dec 4th), tacos on me if they are serving it
Old 11-24-14, 04:06 PM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
I hear this a lot. I have a Giant TCR Advanced (2012) and a Scott Foil 20 (2012). I had the Giant for almost a year before getting the Foil. I think I've mentioned this before, but when I first took the Foil out I had to stop a few times because I thought I had a flat tire. Turns out the BB was just nowhere near as stiff as the TCR (same wheels, saddle, and bars [stem was as close as could be with the Giant being a 1 1/4]). I'm not sure if this a Scott HMF/HMX thing or what the deal is.
On the bb stiffness thing. My Masi is Uber stiff and I really like it then the chance came along with the Felt. I was told that I couldn't ride an aero frame but I really like it, seems to transition power well and went through 1700 watts without a hitch or squeak. What I like is that though probably not as stiff it is fast all the time if that makes any sense. I would really like to try a Noah Fast but that's a lot of scratch for a frameset...
Old 11-24-14, 04:22 PM
Gramercy

Bikes: Trek 1.2

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wouldn't an Allez E5 or CAAD 10 be stiffer than anything carbon fiber?

Also, if one were actually better instead of subjectively better, wouldn't everyone know?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.