Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (III)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (III)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-15, 12:43 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
i can't ride after work, just can't do it. was absolutely fine with the morning ride when i could get outside, but this morning i woke up, drank coffee, looked at the rollers, and got back in bed. no excuse, just laziness and apathy.
I could never train after work with any regularity.
Old 01-13-15, 12:58 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
To be clear about why I was talking about training after work specifically, my current living situation makes AM trainer rides simply impossible. Even if I didn't worry about disturbing my neighbors, my apartment is too small to do it without disturbing my wife. Obviously, other people are in different situations... and presumably, I will be, too, at some point this spring/early summer.
Old 01-13-15, 12:59 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Maybe you're a Pegasus? That's basically 1HP.
lol

my race videos
Old 01-13-15, 01:03 PM
bmcphx
Banned.

Bikes: Black Incs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i can't ride after work, just can't do it. was absolutely fine with the morning ride when i could get outside, but this morning i woke up, drank coffee, looked at the rollers, and got back in bed. no excuse, just laziness and apathy.
After work is tough for me as well because it throws off my whole routine. I get home from the office and I want to watch a little TV, unwind, make a nice dinner and relax in the house. If I ride after work it means I have to get the bike out right away and a 90 minute ride puts me home at 7pm. By the time I shower, have dinner, and get to bed it's 9pm at least and that doesn't leave any time to chill out.

I'd rather get up at 5am, knock out a few hours, then have the rest of the day to treat however I want.
Old 01-13-15, 01:04 PM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Knowing how you train I think you've got it right as it is similar to myself. A few different sessions in a day (weights and riding). I try to do the same thing myself as we all know how I feel about my weight work.
Now that would be very different if the focus were to be on road races. I know two guys who start their long rides (5+ hours) at 3 oclock in the morning to get their time in before work.
I don't think that is a feasible plan for most.
I used to get up at 3:45 top be at the gym for about 4:10 am, train, eat, go to work then ride in the afternoon or evening but the time requirements were not as a oad racer but a big dumb crit rider.
In many cases the only way to get it all in for most is to break it up. Not optimal but doable.
Old 01-13-15, 01:43 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Two things i'm planning on doing that I think'll help me get on the rollers in the AM (as I said, getting outside isn't an issue when the weather is nice): putting my bibs on as soon as I wake up (i.e. before coffee, etc) and not playing on my phone while eating/drinking coffee/getting ready. I tend to browse instagram, then end up in some rabbit hole, and then just kind of forgetting about training. tomorrow i'll crush. tomorrow.
Old 01-13-15, 01:59 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
It's the only time I have a available. I have the commute home to think about it, then a quick change and I'm on the bike. The worst part is doing intervals in rush hour traffic.
Old 01-13-15, 02:00 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
did 2x20, supposed to be 100% threshold, but was 95-98% instead, just wasn't feeling the power.

As for when to train, I wish I could get up early to ride, I could easily get up at 5 and have time to get ready and do my parental duties, but I just can't (mainly because I stay up later than I should). I'm usually pretty motivated to ride at night (like 8:30). I also work at home a couple of days a week so I try to break up my day with some riding (like I did today)
Old 01-13-15, 02:10 PM
misterwaterfall

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tend to browse instagram, then end up in some rabbit hole, and then just kind of forgetting about training. tomorrow i'll crush. tomorrow.
I save this mindless stuff for my warm up period. Most workouts have 10-20 minutes of warming up. After I cruise Twitter, fb, and insta I'm usually through most of the warm up and heavy to rock. That's the hardest part about riding inside for me. Intervals I can get excited for, mindless warm up however is tough.
Old 01-13-15, 02:18 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
It's the only time I have a available. I have the commute home to think about it, then a quick change and I'm on the bike. The worst part is doing intervals in rush hour traffic.
Yeah here ya. I'm just totally a morning person. I could never manage to do in the evenings what I can do early morning.
mattm
**** that

Two things i'm planning on doing that I think'll help me get on the rollers in the AM (as I said, getting outside isn't an issue when the weather is nice): putting my bibs on as soon as I wake up (i.e. before coffee, etc) and not playing on my phone while eating/drinking coffee/getting ready. I tend to browse instagram, then end up in some rabbit hole, and then just kind of forgetting about training. tomorrow i'll crush. tomorrow.
Putting on kit stuff first definitely helps me get going.

And if you have some kind of auto-coffee maker, having coffee ready can help a ton too.

my race videos
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have trouble getting going in the morning. I found the evening easier. But it does suck on longer days a bit because it's kinda work/change/ride/shower/eat/sleep at night.
Old 01-13-15, 02:21 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by misterwaterfall
I save this mindless stuff for my warm up period. Most workouts have 10-20 minutes of warming up. After I cruise Twitter, fb, and insta I'm usually through most of the warm up and heavy to rock. That's the hardest part about riding inside for me. Intervals I can get excited for, mindless warm up however is tough.
EXACTLY my thoughts. i also f around on my phone during warmup, but I figure if I make myself not check at all beforehand, i'll at least be motivated to get ON the bike, and honestly once that happens the motivation comes very easy.
Old 01-13-15, 02:24 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Morning Session: Long Sprint Intervals. Set Power PR's for the whole 8s-40s range.

Lunch Ride: 20 minute test, about 22 watts off. Been putting a lot of work into everything under 5 minutes, but not much for my FTP. Some of that was asthma, but mostly my aerobic power (my lungs can't keep up). I always see endurance work as either the legs are holding you back or the lungs.

Considering how I did my last race, no regrets (but now time to work on it!)
Old 01-13-15, 02:36 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I can't do early AM training, just can't wake up for it. The earliest I'll typically ride is a team ride that kicks off around 8-830. I'll happily ride after work and have been out doing intervals as late as 10PM. I'm happy that one of the larger group rides starts at 10AM.
Old 01-13-15, 02:40 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
I'm not a morning person - I tend to want to stay up really late, like it will somehow buy me more time before the next workday. But I also like to relax and make dinner when I get home, so I've been riding mornings. It's really hard to motivate myself to go out in the dark and cold. But I also have this strange compulsion to always follow through on plans, so I tend to just go do it even if I don't feel like it.
Old 01-13-15, 02:42 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Ive always done my workouts in the evening...get on the bike as late as 8:30-9:00 depending on the day of the week. Cant get myself to get up super early.
Old 01-13-15, 02:43 PM
furiousferret

I'm right there with you guys. Hate riding early in the morning, especially in the winter. Why ride in at 6 am when its in the 40's when I can go at 11 and its in the 70's?
Old 01-13-15, 02:46 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
This morning:
10 sprints, one short anaerobic hill, 5 more sprints plus z2 commute. 40 miles.
Old 01-13-15, 02:46 PM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by furiousferret
Why ride in at 6 am when its in the 40's when I can go at 11 and its in the 70's?
The easy answer to that question for me is work. Unfortunately.

In Base I was getting up at 5, out the door by 5:30.. sucked. Not a morning person.. is anyone? (besides G)

Now in Build I can "sleep in" until 6, since I don't need to get as many hours in, but it still kinda blows.

But I figure it blows a lot less than losing a lot!

my race videos
Old 01-13-15, 02:47 PM
bmcphx
Banned.

Bikes: Black Incs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys are f'n crazy riding bikes later than I stay up!

There's something about the morning that makes my heart sing. The sunrise, the calmness, the animals all waking up and starting to be awake, and the best benefit is the traffic is lighter.
Old 01-13-15, 02:56 PM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by mattm
The easy answer to that question for me is work. Unfortunately.

In Base I was getting up at 5, out the door by 5:30.. sucked. Not a morning person.. is anyone? (besides G)

Now in Build I can "sleep in" until 6, since I don't need to get as many hours in, but it still kinda blows.

But I figure it blows a lot less than losing a lot!
I forgot about the weekdays; always ride after work. Typically right after. In fact if you catch me 2 minutes prior to going home, you'll probably see my kit under my shirt!.
Old 01-13-15, 02:57 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcphx
You guys are f'n crazy riding bikes later than I stay up!

There's something about the morning that makes my heart sing. The sunrise, the calmness, the animals all waking up and starting to be awake, and the best benefit is the traffic is lighter.
I do most of my solo training rides (2x20s, VO2, testing, whatever) on a closed road 5 miles from home that has very little bike traffic (its a canal access road for maintenance and security). I can get to it via a lightly used MUP and use that as my warmup. It is the most boring stretch of road you can think of: flat, straight, levy walls on both sides, but I'm pretty spoiled to have quick access to it.

On weekends, I get out and hit the hills to mix it up.
Old 01-13-15, 03:05 PM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by hack
I do most of my solo training rides (2x20s, VO2, testing, whatever) on a closed road 5 miles from home that has very little bike traffic (its a canal access road for maintenance and security). I can get to it via a lightly used MUP and use that as my warmup. It is the most boring stretch of road you can think of: flat, straight, levy walls on both sides, but I'm pretty spoiled to have quick access to it.

On weekends, I get out and hit the hills to mix it up.
Some of those roads in Folsom were a bit sketchy (Green Valley?) maybe I just hit it at a bad time when people randomly drove into the bike lane.
Old 01-13-15, 03:10 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Some of those roads in Folsom were a bit sketchy (Green Valley?) maybe I just hit it at a bad time when people randomly drove into the bike lane.
Green Valley is like a mini highway loaded with the SUVs going up the hill. You usually only need to be on it for about 2-3 miles to get from Folsom to EDH and then you can jump off to Salmon Falls or Malcom-Dixon (to Deer Valley).

The "road" mentioned above is the Folsom South Canal that picks up near the Fish Hatchery at Hazel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.