Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How much is speed worth to you?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How much is speed worth to you?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-16, 12:24 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
Also @seypat, can you see the irony at all in on the one hand, telling women that racing against pros when they are newbies is character-building but that we should create special race classes for men who can't afford or don't want to buy race equipment? Why not argue that people with lesser equipment are lucky for the opportunity to race with people with better equipment? You know, so they can learn from that experience of seeing what the well-equipped people race with? I mean other than the opportunity of winning, what does it matter who you race against?

Lol, you are a funny guy. Maybe unintentionally, but funny nonetheless.
Old 07-01-16, 01:01 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
There's a been a big push to increase the size of the women's racing field here in central TX over the past few years. Not sure how successful it's been, but what I've heard is better than RVA and LA, from the sound of them.
Old 07-01-16, 01:34 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,131 Times in 487 Posts
Well, I agree we have derailed the topic long enough
I think the derailment was far better than the original topic.
Old 07-01-16, 02:12 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I actually had to go to work for a little while so let's see what I missed. Give me a minute to catch up!
Old 07-01-16, 02:13 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by RChung
Definitely! Who said this place is dying?
Old 07-01-16, 02:15 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
Well, I agree we have derailed the topic long enough but I just can't let your comments go unanswered.
Don't worry about derailing the thread! Your comments were very interesting.

Originally Posted by RChung
Yup.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-01-16 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-01-16, 02:32 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,462 Posts
The answer is you don't have to pay anything more, especially if you are getting a new, mid-range bike. Many aero bikes new are around $4,000. That's the same as a mid-rand standard road or comfort style bike. Some of the wheels that come stock on aero bikes aren't that fast but it's easy to sell them and bike deeper ones instead.
Old 07-01-16, 02:45 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I actually had to go to work for a little while so let's see what I missed. Give me a minute to catch up!
I got off work at 1 today and thought I'd be the only person headed to Carytown for lunch and some walking around. So very wrong, apparently everyone else here got off early too.
Old 07-01-16, 02:51 PM
seypat

Well, I agree we have derailed the topic long enough but I just can't let your comments go unanswered.

I disagree that the issue is solely for women to solve. Pat Summitt did not occur de novo. Pat Summitt and women's collegiate sports in general happened as a result of federal law- ie title IX. If we had just left the problem for women to solve without doing something like title IX to level the playing field, there would have been no Pat Summitt. Why? Because men controlled the sport and only (much like yourself) saw the issue from their perspective. No need to fix anything. Women can play basketball if they want. Never mind that they were never exposed to the sport, had no teams to play on, there were no leagues, and their version of the sport had virtually no resources.

Cycling has never been much of a collegiate sport so it did not really benefit from title IX like basketball & soccer & swimming did. So you can see the difference between sports when there is some kind of intervention vs lack of intervention. Left to their own devices, the people who control the resources tend to believe they control the resources through some merit of their own.

Do I have time to become a cycling pioneer & solve these issues? Nope, sorry. I have a full time job & spend a lot of time training & as a newby I don't have the connections or experience to solve cycling for women. So my approach is to not lose any sleep over the inequities and to just figure out all the work-arounds. But that doesn't mean that it's fair or right or ever going to change unless a majority of men are open-minded enough to consider another reality might exist beyond the one they're created in their own minds.

Which is not to say that the way I see it is necessarily right. But it just might be.
You don't seem to understand that you have to have more women out there to get the competition you want. You seem to think that the main reason that is happening is because of the men out there in the cycling community. You put an off topic comment on a equipment thread blaming it on the system controlled by males. I gave you some options on how to better your situation in my original response, but you dismissed them all. Maybe it was because you might have to work and interact with some more female racers such as yourself. If I had been in your shoes that's what I would have done. But what would work for me does not work for you. I guess I was wrong. There is nothing I would like to see more than more females out in the sport. There are lots of them in running and lots of them in tri. So let me ask you, why aren't there more in cycling? More importantly, what can the rest of the cycling community (and myself) do about that? Answer those questions for us, please. Because we certainly don't know what to do about it, and you whining about it on a message board won't help the situation either. Go ahead, fill me in.

I will not respond back because this has escalated enough and we don't want a visit from a MOD. Plus, I'm just looking for info now. I can't help you unless you take the initiative and tell me where to start.

Good luck in the future, Heathpack
Old 07-01-16, 02:57 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by Dan333SP
I got off work at 1 today and thought I'd be the only person headed to Carytown for lunch and some walking around. So very wrong, apparently everyone else here got off early too.
It's bad all around. Usually we would be heading to the in laws in the Northern Neck on a Holiday weekend, but not this time. It is brutal trying to get from the Southside through Downtown, then through Mechanicsville this time of day/Friday evening. We signed up for the 17.76K Independence Day Classic tomorrow morning. That might be brutal as well.
Old 07-01-16, 03:50 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Back to the original topic. As far as buying speed, that is one of the negative aspects of most equipment related sports. EVERYONE has to race in open class, equipment wise. It makes it really expensive to be competitive. Why not classes/categories for equipment as well? I know they have Merckx classes in TT racing, why not for all? Why not classes with weight limits for bikes/types of wheels, etc. If you really want the racing to be competitive across all levels that would be the way to do it. Think about the new people that are wanting to get into it. The actual racing may be intimidating, but nothing compared to the sticker shock of buying the equipment!
Another interesting digression. As for cheap-equipment races, there's the Little 500, and there are single-speed crits, aren't there? Maybe there should be more. And it would be kinda cool to have road races limited to hybrids and heavy road bikes (imagine a Citibike race, three laps around Central Park!) but I don't think the disparity between the cost of "competitive" equipment and what an uninformed but interested amateur might expect to spend to race is all that great. Not saying that $10,000 or whatever the pros spend on their bikes isn't a lot of money, but that's about as crazy as it gets, and one can be competitive for a fraction of that. It's not like anyone is spending a million dollars per bike just to be in the mix (as they do for MotoGP).
Old 07-01-16, 03:55 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
You don't seem to understand that you have to have more women out there to get the competition you want. You seem to think that the main reason that is happening is because of the men out there in the cycling community. You put an off topic comment on a equipment thread blaming it on the system controlled by males. I gave you some options on how to better your situation in my original response, but you dismissed them all. Maybe it was because you might have to work and interact with some more female racers such as yourself. If I had been in your shoes that's what I would have done. But what would work for me does not work for you. I guess I was wrong. There is nothing I would like to see more than more females out in the sport. There are lots of them in running and lots of them in tri. So let me ask you, why aren't there more in cycling? More importantly, what can the rest of the cycling community (and myself) do about that? Answer those questions for us, please. Because we certainly don't know what to do about it, and you whining about it on a message board won't help the situation either. Go ahead, fill me in.

I will not respond back because this has escalated enough and we don't want a visit from a MOD. Plus, I'm just looking for info now. I can't help you unless you take the initiative and tell me where to start.

Good luck in the future, Heathpack
Sure no problem. And feel free to respond. I can't imagine to moderators having any issue with an actual discussion about cycling.

You characterize me as whining. I would disagree with that characterization. All along in this thread I've been discussing differences in perspective. I have actually not blamed men for the lack of women in bike racing. What I said was that if people really want change, that change is going to have to come from the people who control the resources in cycling. Which is, for the most part, men. Of course women should participate any changes. But IMO its disingenuous to think women can change a sport in which they are such a minority.

I don't really see a lack of women in cycling as much as in competitive cycling. My impression is that this occurs due to lack of exposure. The path to bike racing typically comes from knowing someone who does it, from exposure to the sport and an ability to have a clue as to what you need to do to race. For men, I've already outlined a common path to racing up thread- you start riding, then start riding with fast people, then you join a team & then you start racing. I have seen it unfold exactly this way for many men I know in our town. Not that it's easy or that these guys don't work hard, but just that the path exists and if they want to race, they don't have to form their own team, reinvent the wheel, etc.

Women start cycling and they are naturally slower than men. I have men argue why this is (or that it's not so), but the reasons are well-understood and they are physiologic facts. So for a woman to ride recreationally and then make the leap to riding with the fast guys is a much bigger leap. It took me 18 months of training, working very religously with a coach, and half the reason it works sort of is because they fast guys I (try to) ride with are nice and stop for regroups and wait for me if I miss a light & fortunately have one slower ride per week that is doable for me. But it's still a tough ride for me. Realistically, I can't do four rides per week with them. I can be in their club, yes, and they are glad to see me because they too would like to see more women racing. But my coach assigns me maybe 2-3 rides per month with them. Truthfully their rides are not the greatest training for me.

Most of my women friends don't hire a coach and train religously but you know what? Neither did the newby men who did their first cat 5 races this year. For the men, they were close enough to the lower tier that they could hang & get exposure to the racing guys and then try it out. Where are the women? They're on the no drop rec rides waiting patiently at the top of every hill for the beginners to make it up. There's no place for them to go beyond the beginner group, so they work on endurance. They do charity rides, they do big climbing rides, some of them run & race tris- because those are all things you can train for with slower people. They don't do the things that make you faster- like interval workouts and ride until your brain is fuzzy. I try to entice them to come to TTs but my impression is that they are intimidated by the idea of it. Partially because they are unfamiliar and partially because they never ride at 100% and are unfamiliar with the sensation of it. Their riding is at 65-70% because that's what all their friends do.

What you really need to get women to race is more scenarios in which they become familiar with riding at 100% and they're not riding in a social milieu in which you're seen as a dick if you ride hard in the presence of other people. Ie they need a serious cycling club or a team with rides directed at their level. So men hear this & they think Why don't women just form a club and ride that way? They don't even know to.

When I say men need to solve this, I'm not angry at men. The majority of my cycling friends are men, my coach is a man, my fitter is a man. I think what mostly needs to happen is that men need to be aware of the physiologic differences between men & women. If you want women in your club, make your once-a-week slow ride 17-18 mph rather than 18-20 mph and keep that pace. Talk about racing. Invite them to watch. Make a place for them and it does not have to be revamping everything you do, just understand that maybe it's not unwillingness to work, fear of sweating, fear of racing, lack of competitiveness or whatever that keeps women from racing. If women point out the differences between male & female racing experiences, don't become threatened & accuse them of whining.

Note that I haven't even really spoken to changing anything about racing format. I'm just talking about getting women enough exposure that they can get a foot in the door. Because truly IMO the lack of women racing bikes is 90% lack of exposure to the sport. It would be interesting to learn what % of racing women have a SO who also races. My impression is that the path to racing for women is often happenstance- a boyfriend or husband who races or the good fortune of either a women's team or a mixed sex well-organized club that understands what it takes to get women racing. For a woman to just pick up a bike as a form of exercise and then wind up racing like I did I think is pretty uncommon.
Old 07-01-16, 04:59 PM
grwoolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I look at this as a $'s per watt question more than $ to speed.

If I could add x watts to my current FTP, 5 minute, 3 minute, etc. power, I would pay a lot to do it. It's basically like buying new genetics. What would I pay to have Taylor Phinney's aerobic engine? I figure $100/watt would be my limit. Paying $1000 for 10 watts doesn't feel great since it wouldn't be a game changer, but $10k for 100 watts? I'd cut that check.

Does that make me lazy? Maybe. I love riding and racing my bike, but I honestly don't have the time or mental energy to get in race shape very often. I can stay reasonably fit on 6-8 hours per week with group rides, etc., but it takes me ~4 months of 10-12 hours per week of really focused training to get in shape to contend in races. If I trained like a pro (20+ hours per week), I expect I would find another level of fitness, but It would not be 100 watts on top of my basic fitness and there is no way I'd ever have the time or desire to do that.
Old 07-01-16, 06:16 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Because truly IMO the lack of women racing bikes is 90% lack of exposure to the sport.
I think it's much simpler and has nothing to do with exposure. Females, in general, are not as competitive as men. Get 10 guys together on a bike ride and invariably they will try and outdo one another. Regardless of whether they race it's more natural for them to want to beat each other to the next milestone. You see the same thing in Ice Hockey and other sports. Young girls have plenty of opportunities to play but for a variety of reasons, the number of young girls interested in playing is far lower than boys. When they do play the focus is more on the social aspect with less emphasis on winning.

I suspect competitiveness is correlated with levels of testosterone. Men become mellower and less competitive as they age and their testosterone levels diminish.
Old 07-01-16, 07:38 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
I think it's much simpler and has nothing to do with exposure. Females, in general, are not as competitive as men. Get 10 guys together on a bike ride and invariably they will try and outdo one another. Regardless of whether they race it's more natural for them to want to beat each other to the next milestone. You see the same thing in Ice Hockey and other sports. Young girls have plenty of opportunities to play but for a variety of reasons, the number of young girls interested in playing is far lower than boys. When they do play the focus is more on the social aspect with less emphasis on winning.

I suspect competitiveness is correlated with levels of testosterone. Men become mellower and less competitive as they age and their testosterone levels diminish.
I know some Masters racers who would disagree.
Old 07-01-16, 07:53 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
I know some Masters racers who would disagree.
In general I think my statement is true but there are obviously exceptions. 60+ fields tend to be smaller than 40, 50 etc.
Old 07-01-16, 08:53 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2612 Post(s)
Liked 3,129 Times in 1,645 Posts
If I had been in your shoes that's what I would have done
If I was in your (or anyone's) shoes, I would refrain from making comments like this. It's presumptuous and inconsiderate.

...and you whining about it on a message board won't help the situation either.
You might be surprised by the amount of influence that social media and this forum in particular have.

Signed,
a MOD.

added in edit: no one reported this thread, I just read it.

Last edited by TMonk; 07-01-16 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-01-16, 09:04 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2612 Post(s)
Liked 3,129 Times in 1,645 Posts
Sure no problem. And feel free to respond. I can't imagine to moderators having any issue with an actual discussion about cycling.

You characterize me as whining. I would disagree with that characterization. All along in this thread I've been discussing differences in perspective. I have actually not blamed men for the lack of women in bike racing. What I said was that if people really want change, that change is going to have to come from the people who control the resources in cycling. Which is, for the most part, men. Of course women should participate any changes. But IMO its disingenuous to think women can change a sport in which they are such a minority.

I don't really see a lack of women in cycling as much as in competitive cycling. My impression is that this occurs due to lack of exposure. The path to bike racing typically comes from knowing someone who does it, from exposure to the sport and an ability to have a clue as to what you need to do to race. For men, I've already outlined a common path to racing up thread- you start riding, then start riding with fast people, then you join a team & then you start racing. I have seen it unfold exactly this way for many men I know in our town. Not that it's easy or that these guys don't work hard, but just that the path exists and if they want to race, they don't have to form their own team, reinvent the wheel, etc.

Women start cycling and they are naturally slower than men. I have men argue why this is (or that it's not so), but the reasons are well-understood and they are physiologic facts. So for a woman to ride recreationally and then make the leap to riding with the fast guys is a much bigger leap. It took me 18 months of training, working very religously with a coach, and half the reason it works sort of is because they fast guys I (try to) ride with are nice and stop for regroups and wait for me if I miss a light & fortunately have one slower ride per week that is doable for me. But it's still a tough ride for me. Realistically, I can't do four rides per week with them. I can be in their club, yes, and they are glad to see me because they too would like to see more women racing. But my coach assigns me maybe 2-3 rides per month with them. Truthfully their rides are not the greatest training for me.

Most of my women friends don't hire a coach and train religously but you know what? Neither did the newby men who did their first cat 5 races this year. For the men, they were close enough to the lower tier that they could hang & get exposure to the racing guys and then try it out. Where are the women? They're on the no drop rec rides waiting patiently at the top of every hill for the beginners to make it up. There's no place for them to go beyond the beginner group, so they work on endurance. They do charity rides, they do big climbing rides, some of them run & race tris- because those are all things you can train for with slower people. They don't do the things that make you faster- like interval workouts and ride until your brain is fuzzy. I try to entice them to come to TTs but my impression is that they are intimidated by the idea of it. Partially because they are unfamiliar and partially because they never ride at 100% and are unfamiliar with the sensation of it. Their riding is at 65-70% because that's what all their friends do.

What you really need to get women to race is more scenarios in which they become familiar with riding at 100% and they're not riding in a social milieu in which you're seen as a dick if you ride hard in the presence of other people. Ie they need a serious cycling club or a team with rides directed at their level. So men hear this & they think Why don't women just form a club and ride that way? They don't even know to.

When I say men need to solve this, I'm not angry at men. The majority of my cycling friends are men, my coach is a man, my fitter is a man. I think what mostly needs to happen is that men need to be aware of the physiologic differences between men & women. If you want women in your club, make your once-a-week slow ride 17-18 mph rather than 18-20 mph and keep that pace. Talk about racing. Invite them to watch. Make a place for them and it does not have to be revamping everything you do, just understand that maybe it's not unwillingness to work, fear of sweating, fear of racing, lack of competitiveness or whatever that keeps women from racing. If women point out the differences between male & female racing experiences, don't become threatened & accuse them of whining.

Note that I haven't even really spoken to changing anything about racing format. I'm just talking about getting women enough exposure that they can get a foot in the door. Because truly IMO the lack of women racing bikes is 90% lack of exposure to the sport. It would be interesting to learn what % of racing women have a SO who also races. My impression is that the path to racing for women is often happenstance- a boyfriend or husband who races or the good fortune of either a women's team or a mixed sex well-organized club that understands what it takes to get women racing. For a woman to just pick up a bike as a form of exercise and then wind up racing like I did I think is pretty uncommon.
Nicely put. There is for sure a physiological offset between men and women in regards to performance bio-metrics. It makes sense that due to this, for women in particular, there needs to be a bridge between a new recreational cyclist and competitive group rides and associated venues. Most guys can ride a lot for a few months to a year and then jump in with the racers at the local rides. This isn't nearly as often the case for women.

I know that you know me on the forums @Heathpack, but for the record I'm a competitive road and track cyclist myself. I think that your observations are spot on.
Old 07-02-16, 03:50 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It just occurred to me: even if we're just talking about riding on flat, windless roads, it's not exactly speed I want, it's the feeling of power. A slight descent will net an easy 30mph+, but that's nowhere NEAR as fun as a flat 30mph+ sprint. I thought it might be nice if I could install a part that would prevent my being dropped by the fast guys; however, I think I'll save my money, because easy is so unrewarding.
Old 07-02-16, 04:33 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
There are a whole range of issues that affect female participation in sport and recreational pursuits that most men simply do not understand (and in some physiological cases, never ever will). A lot has to do with body image, and a lot of that has to do with men and their attitudes and their traditional mechanism of control.

If you want a classic example, read this news feature that popped up today, and in particular the refernce to Kathrine Switzer.

I had read of Switzer previously, in fact, there is a book by her in our collection of fitness reading. She is one of athletics' emancipists, but almost unknown outside athletics. It's remarkable now to read that an official was so determined to have her disqualified from the Boston Marathon that he tackled her along the way.

Sure the article is about marathon running, but there is an uneasy parallel in the history between women's participation in marathons and in the attitudes that exist now in competitive cycling.

I find it very interesting that Nike has got on board with promoting half-marathons for women... maybe there is a lesson there for the major bike manfufacturing companies to pay more attention to the female market and its desires and needs beyond pink or baby blue bikes.