Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pre Trek Companies

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Pre Trek Companies

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-17, 06:59 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
OK I'll take a shot

Trek is now associated with one word, Lance, hence the contempt and dare I say, hatred for a brand name.

They make good bikes, and so do other companies, but the other companies seem to lack the notoriety.
Old 02-01-17, 12:48 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by exmechanic89
I've always thought the main reason people hate companies like Trek is that they buy up unique, small companies that produce some smaill-batch high quality products, and then water down said products, or stick that company's name onto lesser quality components. Bontrager comes to mind to me.

I'm not a Trek hater either FWIW. I have a 5900 I'm very fond of, and several of their 90's mtbs. But I kind of agree that smaller companies that get absorbed by very large ones like Trek or Specialized probably lose most of their uniqueness, and often the handmade quality that made their reputation in the first place.
is Bontrager a junky brand?
Old 02-01-17, 01:36 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob
is Bontrager a junky brand?
No, but they are no different than any other component manufacturer now. Kinda like the origin8 that trek owns
Old 02-01-17, 02:08 PM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Nobody sells a healthy business against their will, unless it's some kind of bankruptcy or divorce sale. The person who sells a business must have a reason. The Econ 101 reason is that the buyer can manage it better. Another typical reason is that the owner wants to retire.

The alternative to selling out might be to go under.
Lol. People sell companies mostly for profit. If you had ever seen what goes on behind the scenes of a small enterprise, the endless nights of work, the struggling to maintain a market share, the pressures of sales targets... Then one day some guys in suits come along and offer you enough money to fund an early retirement, what do you do? You sell and your life becomes simple again.

Little manufacturers appear because of a dream and a series great of ideas. Then it's all work work work.
Old 02-01-17, 05:54 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by coominya
Lol. People sell companies mostly for profit. If you had ever seen what goes on behind the scenes of a small enterprise, the endless nights of work, the struggling to maintain a market share, the pressures of sales targets... Then one day some guys in suits come along and offer you enough money to fund an early retirement, what do you do? You sell and your life becomes simple again.

Little manufacturers appear because of a dream and a series great of ideas. Then it's all work work work.
Indeed, I've worked for small businesses, and operate one myself right now.
Old 02-01-17, 10:03 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
No, but they are no different than any other component manufacturer now. Kinda like the origin8 that trek owns
Exactly. The Bontrager stuff Trek makes is still pretty decent, but it's not the unique low quan/high quality stuff Bontrager made before the buy out. It's just another brand..
Old 02-02-17, 02:20 PM
kcjc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by exmechanic89
I've always thought the main reason people hate companies like Trek is that they buy up unique, small companies that produce some smaill-batch high quality products, and then water down said products, or stick that company's name onto lesser quality components. Bontrager comes to mind to me.
Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
But as mentioned above, they take some really good small operations, buy them up and stick those names over mediocre frames/components.
Brands that come to mind are:
Lemond, Bontrager, Fisher, Klein, Diamont
Don't have any experience with LeMond & Diamont, but the other bands already went down the road of introducing lower end mediocre bikes before Trek took over. They just discontinued carrying the upper end stuff which in the shop I worked at did not sell (Palo Alto, CA so exotic is not unknown).

Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
Trek makes some good bikes. I've never regretted owning one.
Agreed.
Old 02-02-17, 06:14 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
OK I'll take a shot

Trek is now associated with one word, Lance, hence the contempt and dare I say, hatred for a brand name.

They make good bikes, and so do other companies, but the other companies seem to lack the notoriety.

I've heard people bag Trek bikes for being too ubiquitous and thus lacking soul.
Old 02-02-17, 10:10 PM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Back during the 80s bike boom there were a whole bunch of companies making really beautiful lugged frame steel bikes. Sadly they are gone now.
And Trek was one of them. I'll take a hand-built Wisconsin lugged Trek frame any day. That's how they started out - frames only. Now they have sold out and became what we all hate, and now there's no difference between Trek, Specialized, Giant, and Cannondale. Same mass-market crap from all of them.

And that's what happens to any company they buy. The uniqueness and/or quality is degraded, and only the name remains to attract the unwary. Fisher is the best example.
Old 02-02-17, 11:22 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Indeed, I've worked for small businesses, and operate one myself right now.
I imagine a small business owner has two dreams for success.

1. Become a big company and hire others to do the work while you bank the profit.

2. Be bought by a big company and bank the profit.
Old 02-03-17, 03:19 PM
trail_monkey

Bikes: Soma B Side, Soma Wolverine, Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
I didn't know a lot of this stuff. All I'm going to say is I hate every corporation I don't care what product they make. Corporations killed America.
Old 02-03-17, 05:33 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by trail_monkey
I didn't know a lot of this stuff. All I'm going to say is I hate every corporation I don't care what product they make. Corporations killed America.
Reported. Take it to P&R.

Old 02-03-17, 05:47 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by raceboy
I imagine a small business owner has two dreams for success.

1. Become a big company and hire others to do the work while you bank the profit.

2. Be bought by a big company and bank the profit.
Indeed, in both cases you're taking advantage of the fact that your business grows to the point where your capital is worth more than your labor.

However, many business owners acknowledge that these things don't always happen, and are satisfied with a third option, to run the business at a minimal growth rate that provides for their lifestyle. That's actually how I run my very small business. I don't want to go through the phase where it gets big enough that I have to quit my day job, but not big enough to support my family.
Old 02-05-17, 07:03 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
And Trek was one of them. I'll take a hand-built Wisconsin lugged Trek frame any day. That's how they started out - frames only. Now they have sold out and became what we all hate, and now there's no difference between Trek, Specialized, Giant, and Cannondale. Same mass-market crap from all of them.

And that's what happens to any company they buy. The uniqueness and/or quality is degraded, and only the name remains to attract the unwary. Fisher is the best example.
Are any moderately priced bikes made in the U.S.?
Old 02-05-17, 08:22 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 2,056 Posts
As a "Local Boy" I like to see Trek doing well. They do many good things for our state as well as bicycling in general. I've bought a few over the years and have never had any issue. They are a corporation, they do things that make sense for them to remain a viable entity in the business. Sometimes that means innovation, sometimes acquisition.
Old 02-05-17, 08:36 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
I don't hate Trek. Even though I prefer Italian-made road bikes, I believe that Trek makes fine bikes. My wife's Madone 5.2 is a fine, competent bike.

BTW, please stop equating cycling "civility"' with waving. It's a freaking bike ride, not a wave-fest.

Wave until your wrists ache if you must. Just stop equating a refusal to wave as some sort of apocalyptic demise of cycling civility.

Now I am off to my non-waving ride!
Old 02-05-17, 08:46 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts

The glory days of the Trek back in the '80s still exists in the hearts and minds of those that still collect and ride them. Everything changes, especially our "next new thing" culture.

Here is my thread offering of the fleet, an '86 760 Pro Series with 531c (trident fork crowned frame), full Campy NR drivetrain and Modolo brakes. Super cool.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-05-17, 11:14 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob
Are any moderately priced bikes made in the U.S.?
Custom Bicycle Frames from Gunnar Cycles USA
Old 02-05-17, 11:45 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I pretty much bought mostly Treks since the 1980s, and have given them big chunks of my paycheck, but my last one I hated so much I wound up giving it away (to someone who appreciates it). But what put me off was how their bike shops seem to be run. The priority seems to be to stick a siphon hose in your wallet and send you out the door with whatever ill-fitting bike they can con you into. I stopped buying them when the family-owned mellow Trek place closed down, and was replaced by the bike-shop equivalent of an auto stealership (complete with the overpriced repair shop).

In retrospect, I think the transition came about around the same time they stopped manufacturing (most) frames in Waterloo.
Old 02-05-17, 11:58 AM
NormanF

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Trek's high end bikes were and are still hand-made in Madison. That's how a local start up became a global conglomerate.

Most Trek bikes nowadays come from Taiwan. Its just where the expertise and everything else goes into building bikes for the mass market.

I've owned Gary Fisher and Lemond in the past - before Trek killed the brands off.
Old 02-05-17, 01:15 PM
Spider
Hill Climber

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Reported. Take it to P&R.
Old 02-05-17, 05:19 PM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
The glory days of the Trek back in the '80s still exists in the hearts and minds of those that still collect and ride them. Everything changes, especially our "next new thing" culture.

Here is my thread offering of the fleet, an '86 760 Pro Series with 531c (trident fork crowned frame), full Campy NR drivetrain and Modolo brakes. Super cool.

[IMG][/IMG]

Indeed. My first Trek was a 1983 720, the full-on touring bike and believed by some to be the best touring bike ever made. I can tell you mine was 100% trouble-free over many thousands of miles. Beautiful hand-built lugged frame. After a fair number of years she was showing her age, and Trek repainted it for me in their factory so I had it "brand new" twice. I loved that bike like no other. That's the one I'd like to have back if I could.

I currently have both a 1989 Singletrack 970 and 1993 Singletrack 930, both full lugged DB chromoly and really, really great riding bikes. I think any of the higher-end early Treks (pre-1993 lugged frames built in Wisconsin) are some of the best frames around.

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 02-05-17 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-05-17, 05:57 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
I don't hate Trek. Even though I prefer Italian-made road bikes, I believe that Trek makes fine bikes. My wife's Madone 5.2 is a fine, competent bike.

BTW, please stop equating cycling "civility"' with waving. It's a freaking bike ride, not a wave-fest.

Wave until your wrists ache if you must. Just stop equating a refusal to wave as some sort of apocalyptic demise of cycling civility.

Now I am off to my non-waving ride!

A lot of people are down on their luck and a wave makes them feel not so isolated from the rest of society.
Old 02-05-17, 06:48 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I currently have both a 1989 Singletrack 970 and 1993 Singletrack 930, both full lugged DB chromoly and really, really great riding bikes. I think any of the higher-end early Treks (pre-1993 lugged frames built in Wisconsin) are some of the best frames around.
^Really nice bikes alright.

I've got older Treks (90's) as well as an '03 5900 I'm currently building, which is an incredible frame-set. Not sure why some posters are bashing the newer (than vintage) Treks, their carbon frames are a work of art, imo. I worked in one of the first shops to carry Trek back when they were barely known, and the first bikes we got in were pretty awful. The frames had really poor lug work/brazing, and I remember being shocked at how bad they were compared to the Japanese frames we had at the time. Obviously Trek fixed all that in time, and has become a juggernaut in the industry, but some of those early frames were nothing to get excited about.
Old 02-05-17, 07:24 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
A lot of people are down on their luck and a wave makes them feel not so isolated from the rest of society.
Perhaps so. But I prefer donating to charities and volunteering at local shelters. I sincerely doubt that many of the riders that I encounter on my rides, riding on their high end bikes, are really down on their luck.

I suppose that if you extend your concept to its logical conclusion, you would be waiving at every passing motorist that you encounter on the road--they too may be down on their luck.

And, to really maximize your theory, then we should all ride our bikes through the nearest skid row. The people there sure do need cheering.

Peace & Love.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.