Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How do you feel about leaving your bike at the shop?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How do you feel about leaving your bike at the shop?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-17, 03:36 AM
whitemax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mpath
Wow. That's like saying I don't like the paparazzi taking pictures of me every time I leave my house; but if there's no actual paparazzi.....?

So unless you can evidence that people are actually trying to get into your car while the shop so therefore you don't like that (which if that were true then it's understandable as I wouldn't like it either), it's apples to oranges: no one wants to get into your car vs somebody might want to check out your bike.

So it sounds like you really need to find another LBS that you can implicitly trust. Either that, or the shop owner values your business and your bike so much that you're one of their "special" customers and all the other staff ensures they handle your bike like a Fabergé egg.
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you. It's not about whether you can get to a car in the repair shop waiting for it's owner. It's about others messing with your stuff. That's about as simplistic as I can make it for you. Paparazzi? WTF are you talking about?
Old 04-14-17, 05:23 AM
edawg55

Bikes: Raleigh Merit 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took my bike into a bike shop Wednesday and thought about this thread. I picked it up yesterday and had more issues then coming in. Not going to get into that but my bars were crooked. He said they pack the bikes tight on the racks in the back and it happens. wtf So basically you're not careful with my bike and probably scratched it. I had to leave it again so will see today. I need to learn how to do my own maintenance but as of late I don't even have that much time to ride.
Old 04-14-17, 05:54 AM
motosonic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds like you all need new bike shops? My goodness. I have 0 worries bringing my bike to the shop. I know the folks there, they know me. They take pride in their work and great care of my bike. And that's saying a lot because my bike has race heritage (not bragging) and I treat it like it's my child. lol
Old 04-14-17, 06:20 AM
edawg55

Bikes: Raleigh Merit 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by motosonic
Sounds like you all need new bike shops? My goodness. I have 0 worries bringing my bike to the shop. I know the folks there, they know me. They take pride in their work and great care of my bike. And that's saying a lot because my bike has race heritage (not bragging) and I treat it like it's my child. lol
I started cycling last year. The shop I went to is well kept, nice area, had good reviews and has been in business for awhile. Maybe it was a fluke thing if not I will be talking to the manager. Since it's my first true road bike and big purchase for me I also treat it as my child.
Old 04-14-17, 06:54 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by whitemax
Drop the coin that carbon bikes cost these and I bet you'll start to care.
No, I won't. I have carbon bikes. I have titanium bikes. You know what they all have in common? They're all bikes. They're not flowers.

Old 04-14-17, 08:44 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you. It's not about whether you can get to a car in the repair shop waiting for it's owner. It's about others messing with your stuff. That's about as simplistic as I can make it for you. Paparazzi? WTF are you talking about?
Lol, this is hilarious. I see what you did there: you brought up the car comparison, couldn't defend it, so switched back to the fact that you don't like others messing with your stuff. I don't like others messing with my stuff either. But that wasn't what my response was about.

I think we can all agree no one wants their stuff messed with, and the simple solution, which others have also pointed out, was either to simply find a different LBS, or dont worry about it as its just a bike. But you kept going on and on about how you don't like it....like a baby. Tell me, what bike is it that you're talking about that's so special that you think staff/customers/thieves and other looki-loos want to check out? I'll apologize to you if it's a limited edition BMC Impec, a Lightweight Urgestalt, an AX Lightness, a Cipollini NK1K, a Passoni XXXTi, or other super-high dollar ride.
Old 04-14-17, 03:43 PM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Lol, this is hilarious. I see what you did there: you brought up the car comparison, couldn't defend it, so switched back to the fact that you don't like others messing with your stuff. I don't like others messing with my stuff either. But that wasn't what my response was about.

I think we can all agree no one wants their stuff messed with, and the simple solution, which others have also pointed out, was either to simply find a different LBS, or dont worry about it as its just a bike. But you kept going on and on about how you don't like it....like a baby. Tell me, what bike is it that you're talking about that's so special that you think staff/customers/thieves and other looki-loos want to check out? I'll apologize to you if it's a limited edition BMC Impec, a Lightweight Urgestalt, an AX Lightness, a Cipollini NK1K, a Passoni XXXTi, or other super-high dollar ride.
I did defend it. You're lack of reading comprehension is frightening. I''m starting to think I'm writing to a kid in high school who is jeopardy of being held back a grade for lack of comprehension skills.

As you actually made my point as above but you can't even seem to understand what it is you write yourself.

The kind of bike I own is entirely besides the point. Now run along and go troll somewhere else.
Old 04-15-17, 08:24 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
I did defend it. You're lack of reading comprehension is frightening. I''m starting to think I'm writing to a kid in high school who is jeopardy of being held back a grade for lack of comprehension skills.

As you actually made my point as above but you can't even seem to understand what it is you write yourself.

The kind of bike I own is entirely besides the point. Now run along and go troll somewhere else.
Lol. This is another one of those idiotic threads that's academically pointless. Has your bike actually been damaged by your LBS or just a fear because your bike is so special? If so, please feel free to rant as a PSA to avoid that LBS in the future. If not, as everyone else has stated, it's just a bike.
Old 04-15-17, 09:03 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's a sad day when a bike is fetishised to the status of a Rembrandt
Old 04-15-17, 10:35 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy Somnifac
No, I won't. I have carbon bikes. I have titanium bikes. You know what they all have in common? They're all bikes. They're not flowers.
This. It's a bike. I want it kept in good condition, but it gets scratched. It's like a car. I've done far worse riding than any shop is likely to do.

Carbon bikes aren't exotic anymore, they're a good fraction of the inventory. There are only two tricky aspects of bike maintenance on modern bikes, wheels and suspension. Road bikes don't even have the latter.
Old 04-15-17, 01:07 PM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Lol. This is another one of those idiotic threads that's academically pointless. Has your bike actually been damaged by your LBS or just a fear because your bike is so special? If so, please feel free to rant as a PSA to avoid that LBS in the future. If not, as everyone else has stated, it's just a bike.
Idiotic and yet you continue to contribute to the thread. Keep digging troll.
Old 04-15-17, 09:00 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11966 Post(s)
Liked 6,632 Times in 3,478 Posts
Alright guys, enough. If you don't like the thread then just leave and don't come back. Find some other thread, but don't come back here to harass the guy just because.
Old 04-16-17, 09:57 AM
enzo thecat

Bikes: 2017 Trek P1 Domane SLR 7, 2016 Boone SLR 7

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redfooj
It's a sad day when a bike is fetishised to the status of a Rembrandt
You cant ride a Rembrandt.